Sign in to follow this  
s13k's

Under seat subwoofer

Recently my mates threw a Alpine sub in my daily for shits and gigs but lo and behold if does sound great especially with the bass heavy music I listen too.

Im wondering if any of you guys are running under seat sub/amp similar to this: https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/kicker/kicker-11hs8-hideaway-8-150w-subwoofer-and-amplifier/86800/

Does it fit? how does it sound?

I wouldnt want a huge sub box in my boot but rather something stealthy I can throw under the passenger seat and run the wires through the carpet so its totally invisible.

Any brand/model suggestions would be great.

Does sound like a tidy solution but you could put 1 or 2 12" in the boot for less coin and still have plenty of room.

I have a 12" in box in the boot. doesnt cost a lot space-wise and was like $100 new.

underseat subs are pretty prone to overheating too.

This gives you an idea on what twin 12" subs are like in the boot with the amp hidden behind. To access the amp you just have to remove the rear seat. It's an old pic and have since replaced all the speakers and made it flush with the parcel shelf.

531421_436971369664185_1300597714_n.jpg?oh=22009a86a46a0f40a4bac7d9067c1c07&oe=56AD76D3&__gda__=1454605146_19eed2cb6b50910b54c267252e0724e3

I just made a small 10L sealed box with an 8" woofer, packed with pillow stuffing, and it provides as much bass as I personally need. The bass doesn't go really, really low, but you can still feel a decent punch in your chest if you crank it. Were I to remove the angled amp rack I included in the design and put the amps under the seat or something, it takes up very little space in the boot. Even as it is, it doesn't take up too much space, as the angle roughly matches the plates on the strut towers.

It was cheap and simple to build too. The wood was roughly $30, PVA glue $5, the woofer cost about $25 (bought it ages ago when Jaycar sold them cheaper), the Kicker monoblock amp I bought second-hand for $50, the Alpine 4-channel amp I've owned for 13 years (bought it for $100 from Cash Converters in 2002), the spray adhesive was on special for $22, and the fabric I've had for about 12 years. I bought a roll when trimming my first car for $70, and have used it on various projects over the years.

If you already had amps and were making just the little 10L sub, it would cost 50 bucks plus the cone.

Sub1_zps6ivzwai9.jpg

Sub2_zpsug3uhkpv.jpg

^ The cutout and gap on the base is to clear the fuel pump loom, so the box tucks into the gap behind the wheel arch reasonably well once you cut the side and top flush with the box.

Sub3_zps0nd7w5gr.jpg

Sub4_zpsfrzohfhc.jpg

Sub5_zpsxwrdnwil.jpg

• Upvote 1

$400 dollarydoos and it probably sounds bad.

you cant compromise on the box if you want good bass.

I've got a Philips CSM1000, as mentioned it can't really do bass like the installations pictured above due to size of enclosure just not in the same league.

Having said that, what it does do is give you a nice full rich sound at normal / slightly elevated listening levels, you definitely notice the lack of bass / lower mid-range when it's switched off. I was chasing quality of sound so the combination of JVC head unit, JBL drivers all round (splits in the front) with this sub gave me some excellent results, particularly after some fine tuning.

It fits into the rear passenger footwell nicely, and when you slide the passenger seat back and combined with some velcro stuck to the bottom of the sub that grips the carpet it's held down nicely, and it only takes me a few seconds to remove when I need to.

I find theres a lot of unused space in the front end of the s13 boot, I fitted 2 10" subs and still have a lot of room. I made the box to be as thin as possible and fill out the back while using the recommended amount of airspace.

post-157176-0-40671000-1447492426.jpg

This was my set up years ago. Full false floor, all made by myself including the box.

Looking back I would never put anything like this in my car now hah.

It was only in my car for a few months before someone wrote my old car off and the stuff has been sitting in storage since in pristine condition. If anyone wants to buy it let me know.

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

I bought a space saving sub a few weeks back, this one http://www.pioneer.c...X120A/page.html

I wanted better mid and low range, but didn't want a large heavy sub box.

It wouldnt fit under a front seat, so I installed it IN the rear seat of my s15.

Basically took off the cover, then the foam, mounted it to the metal frame in the middle on the cabin side between the rear passenger seats, trimmed the foam a bit then reinstalled foam and the cover.

You wouldnt know it was installed, and it does sound better than without buuuuuuuuuuuut the sound is not really great for the price, at lower volume levels its barely noticeable, at louder levels its barely adequate.

If I was doing it again I would get a 8 or 10 inch sub, build a small slim box and mount that to the rear seat between the struts. Even if the box wasnt optimised for sound and rather for small size I still reckon it would outperform what I have.

Edited by CraZeeE

This was my set up years ago. Full false floor, all made by myself including the box.

It was only in my car for a few months before someone wrote my old car off and the stuff has been sitting in storage since in pristine condition. If anyone wants to buy it let me know.

Although I value the pass-through cargo space too much to put a box there (hence my implementation being angled on one side), you've done a really nice job with your panel work. Even if someone simply wanted to run factory speakers and an amp, that would be a worthwhile purchase just for the floor and amp rack pieces, assuming the spare tyre is accessible.

I know from experience that getting all the edges right is a tedious job. With a false floor someone could easily modify it to be removable for track days anyway. Mount some studs in the panel below the box, secure the sub using wingnuts, quick disconnect plugs (or bannana plugs) on the 6x9 speakers, then pull the parcel shelf, rear floor panel and sub out in under a minute.

I have a generic 12" box and an ocky strap holding it down using the child restraints in the boot.

take it out at the track, put it back in for tunes on the way home.

Once I get wheels and semis sorted I will probably have to leave it at home though.

Although I value the pass-through cargo space too much to put a box there (hence my implementation being angled on one side), you've done a really nice job with your panel work. Even if someone simply wanted to run factory speakers and an amp, that would be a worthwhile purchase just for the floor and amp rack pieces, assuming the spare tyre is accessible.

I know from experience that getting all the edges right is a tedious job. With a false floor someone could easily modify it to be removable for track days anyway. Mount some studs in the panel below the box, secure the sub using wingnuts, quick disconnect plugs (or bannana plugs) on the 6x9 speakers, then pull the parcel shelf, rear floor panel and sub out in under a minute.

The false floor is in three pieces. The main piece being directly over the spare tyre. So you can access the tyre by just pulling that one piece up.

I glued a few wooden blocks down to the boot floor then screwed the false floor to the blocks. Could remove it all in no time.