Sign in to follow this  
JapSpecJake

Headlight Restoration?

Hey,

So I've just noticed my headlights have this sort of cracking or something on the inside of my S15 headlights....Anyone know what this is, why it's happened and if its fixable?

I can't remember them being like this but I recently had them restored and now I notice it....The people that restored them assured me it must have been like that before hand, It just wasn't noticeable because they were foggy....I'm not sure though :/

Cheers!

post-149984-0-22224200-1448617375_thumb.jpg

post-149984-0-86708000-1448617385_thumb.jpg

Will need to use 1000 or 2000 grit wet and dry. plenty of DIY videos out there even on here there are a few guides.

after you sand the plastic smooth, you will need to polish it with prefferably some form of rotary polisher and cutting compound.

You reckon it could've been caused by the people who "Restored" them? :/ It seems to only be on the right hand side

the cracking u can see is from the sun + no protection on them.

id be guessing the lights previously were yellow and all f**ked so they are probably 300% better then what was. im just guessing here...

but with enough patience and sand paper you should be able to get most of it out.

unfortunatley its a problem with polycarbinate head light lenses if they arent cared for.

Its only on the right hand side thankfully....I did get a respray as well so maybe they left it parked in the sun? :/

It's a long term degradation. It happens over many years. Polishing sanding wouldn't have caused it. Neither would the spray shop leaving in the sun. Those small cracks won't polish out. I had the same problem and got new ones

could have been caused by the "restoration", probably machine polished with a wool pad, too much heat, cracked the plastic...