Sign in to follow this  
joshh1

Sr20 vct gear replacement.

Have a new vct gear to replace old one as engine sounds like a tractor and want to clear a few questions up before i start.

1.Does the engine all need to be in time before i start(not sure as i am only replacing the gear)

2. Can i remove the chain tensior or how do i compress it so i can remove old vct gear

3. What is the torque spec to tighten new Vct gear up too?

Thanks!

Yes you want the gears and chain arranged perfectly before start up. Turn crank by hand to tdc (second notch from the left on the crank).

From there, you will see that the cam gears have markers, and you can count the visible link pins to each marker. Don't go by what the chain marker says as the chain may have been off before. As long as cam gears match the crank, you'll be fine.

Put two cable ties on the exhaust cam holding on the chain, make them tight.

Take a pic of the cam gears with crank at tdc for future reference, so you're able check the gears orientation when you're getting ready to finish up.

You're supposed to remove the tensioner, but i had trouble getting in there. There is a tensioner release inside the head, you can lever this open with a screw driver.

just a tip, pull out your spark plugs and put a rag in there (so shit doesn't fall in) this will allow you easily crank the motor by hand/tools :)

Make sure tdc is at cyc 1.

As the teeth will lign up twice in one full engine cycle.

Put a long screwdriver gently in cylinder one. Turn engine over by hand and watch it go up and down to work out if unsure.

Pull fuel pump fuse before you begin.

Download work shop manual for torque specs and everything else.

If s15, then the manual has everything you need to do step by step