Sign in to follow this  
geets

Oil dipstick

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Have an evo x with 25000km on the clock. No mods.

Was checking the dipstick today (about 20km after a service ) and noted some black shaving like things on the bottom of the dipstick. When i rub them between my fingers they just disappear and doesn't feel gritty. Im not sure whether they are carbon deposits or whatever. The rest of the oil looks cleanicon1.png and golden (like new oil). This seems to be only there when thr engine is cold.

Is this a normal thing? Does the oilicon1.png need to be flushed? The oil was serviced 5000km before this service and the oil was pretty dark when changed.

Any help would be awesome!

Difficult to say without pictures, however it could be:

- Assembly lube, given the low odometer reading (wouldn't have expected this, but you never know)

- Decomposed rubber that has turned into a paste from some random seal

- Very fine metal dust from the break-in period, as I've seen that type of 'non-gritty black paste' on magnetic drain plugs from time to time.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, and you can always install a magnetic drain plug should you be concerned about the state of your engine [assuming it didn't come with one from the factory]. You can also cut open your old oil filter and inspect the contents. Do not waste your time or money on an engine flush, as it is absolutely not needed. Oil is supposed to turn black, otherwise it means that the carbon isn't being pulled from the engine parts.

Thanks for the reply mate! I gave Mitsi a buzz they said it was just small amounts of the old oil and should disappear when it mixes with the new oil over a couple 100km. Figure I just enjoy it for now and see what happens.

This is all I could find left today, they seem to be slowly disappearing.

Difficult to say without pictures, however it could be:

- Assembly lube, given the low odometer reading (wouldn't have expected this, but you never know)

- Decomposed rubber that has turned into a paste from some random seal

- Very fine metal dust from the break-in period, as I've seen that type of 'non-gritty black paste' on magnetic drain plugs from time to time.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, and you can always install a magnetic drain plug should you be concerned about the state of your engine [assuming it didn't come with one from the factory]. You can also cut open your old oil filter and inspect the contents. Do not waste your time or money on an engine flush, as it is absolutely not needed. Oil is supposed to turn black, otherwise it means that the carbon isn't being pulled from the engine parts.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by geets

If that's all it is, Mitsubishi are quite right in telling you not to worry about it. Drive on!