Sign in to follow this  
Wanwo11

Break in :(

Well it finally happened. Bastards broke into my S13 overnight, at my home! For some lucky reason they weren't able to start it. The ignition barrel is f*cked. Incredibly, no other damage.

My mechanic was able to get the barrel out and it's now at a locksmith, hopefully being repaired. If it can't be fixed I'll have to find an old one from I don't know where, or shell out $500 for a new one.

I always thought my car was safe at home even though I'm not able to garage it. It's out of sight from the street. But obviously these people have seen me coming and going. I'm gonna keep a wheel clamp on it now. I don't drive it everyday.

Any further advice?

Sensor light, CCTV visable to deter low life scum and a baseball bat.

Get a sticker that says this car is monitored by gps tracking. They will think twice n won't go as far as destroying anything. Prevention is better than anything else.

Get a sticker that says this car is monitored by gps tracking. They will think twice n won't go as far as destroying anything. Prevention is better than anything else.

Or even better put a gps tracker on it, and no sticker. So when they do steal it you know where to find it.

You want to prevent it. When they take them the f**k everything. Do the sticker or both. Everyone has had there house broken in to in my street. I havernt had mine yet an in sure it's because I have a security alarm/beacon in clear sight

Perhaps a quick release wheel.

If you aren't driving it everyday though pull out the ECU, I used to do this with my Power FC in my 180 when I'd stay places other than home to do track days when it was still street registered.

Perhaps a quick release wheel.

If you aren't driving it everyday though pull out the ECU, I used to do this with my Power FC in my 180 when I'd stay places other than home to do track days when it was still street registered.

That'd probably the best option, and depending on where your keeping it make sure it would be a bitch of a spot to pull it out of onto a tow truck

Thanks guys. All good tips.

I was able to get he barrel repaired which saved a few hassles and bucks.

Good ol dirty club lock, deters thieves that are opportunists.

As I doubt they would be carrying a cordless angle grinder around. Also makes thieves stealing cars using tow trucks a litter hard when your car is pointing to the gutter

I lived in a rough street for a bit and my car was very exposed. I went and bought the biggest chain i could find and locked my car up via the front tow hook. The chain links were more than 12mm hardened steel. Needless to say my car was never stolen

Are there any fuses that can be pulled in the front footwell that will make the engine unstartable? I tried pulling some on the bottom near the word 'Ignition' but the car still started.

Edited by Wanwo11

Why would you bother, fuse doesn't stop a tow truck or someone rolling it down the road.

If you're pulling a fuse, it needs to be from the engine bay. Otherwise pull the CAS plug slightly so it's still on but loses electrical contact.

Thieves have been known to bring their own starter /ignition loom to bypass alarms, not that it's hard anyway.

Edited by r0berto

Why half ass your cars security. A full detail of armed body guards is what you need.

3 shifts of 6 men at a time rotating 24/7 roster 365 days a year with their own armoured transport.

About $4.3 million usd per year. When only the best will do.

• Upvote 1

what area are you in by the way?

I've been one to pull the ignition coil for years now.

Edited by HumanHefner

doesn't help when the car is towed away... people do it brazenly in broad daylight as everyone is none the wiser or too busy on their smart phones taking selfies with tree that looks artistic because it's covered in vomit

• Upvote 2

doesn't help when the car is towed away... people do it brazenly in broad daylight as everyone is none the wiser or too busy on their smart phones taking selfies with tree that looks artistic because it's covered in vomit

This is one of the best and most accurate comments I've read today.

Jaycar do a cheap GPS tracker. Has some nice features for the price.

Jaycar do a cheap GPS tracker. Has some nice features for the price.

Telstra data sim (best coverage, 365 day expiry, 5gbs for $50) and an old smart phone is all you need for a gps tracker.

So many good suggestions. Thanks.

I don't mind someone entering the vehicle and trying to start it if I know that they can't. What I don't want is damage. Ha! I almost feel like leaving the car open with a key in the ignition. 'Here, have go.' It was clear these assholes looked through the car for a key. All the compartments were left open, even the mirror flaps on the sun visors. Had they had found a key they would have used it and not buggered my ignition barrel.

As far as tow aways go - that's where a wheel clamp will come in handy.

Melbourne eastern suburbs. Bit of a bad suburb. Coming home late one night cops stopped me and asked for my name. When it was clear that my name matched the rego plate, they said to make sure I locked it up because these kinds of cars are targeted in this area. When I went to the local police station to report this break in they had a notice on the wall specifically mentioning 90's skylines, pulsars and silvias as targeted.

When I went to the local police station to report this break in they had a notice on the wall specifically mentioning 90's skylines, pulsars and silvias as targeted.

You were mistaken.

These are the cars being targeted by the police.

This guys has some good ideas.

But I don't understand the wire from the distributor to the coil thing. Does he mean the main lead that goes from the distributor cap to the coil or a different wire? I can't see any other connection between the two on my car.

Otherwise pull the CAS plug slightly so it's still on but loses electrical contact.

What and where is that?

Otherwise pull the CAS plug slightly so it's still on but loses electrical contact.

What and where is that?

don't worry and useless if a tow truck comes...

better off with chains, club locks or wheel clamps

What and where is that?

better off with chains, club locks or wheel clamps

I'm doing that too:)