Sign in to follow this  
robbo_rb180

Astra electric power steering

Who has fitted one of these to their car?

What's the steering feel like?

I keep throwing power steering belts due to the balancer and now need to move my power steering reservoir as I have issues with under bonnet temperature due to turbo location.

So thought I would fit one.

Edited by robbo_rb180

Ryan_1 has one fitted in his 14 and I wired it up, he's only had it at powercruise and such as far as I know, so how it feels on hard track days I'm not sure. But it seems like a lot of people do it.

I have an astra pump on my 180. It has much more assist than the standard pump but i just have stock pressure line with the banjo bolt going straight into the pump without any restrictor.

I think i'll add one in the near future if i can find an m16 male to m16 female adapter fitting. Most of the fittings for pumps are m18 with an o ring to m16 for the banjo bolt. Otherwise i will have to make one from scratch.

Ryan_1 has one fitted in his 14 and I wired it up, he's only had it at powercruise and such as far as I know, so how it feels on hard track days I'm not sure. But it seems like a lot of people do it.

i was hoping to talk with him but he hasn't been on the site for a while.

did you upgrade the alternator as well?

only thing deterring me at the moment is where i'm going to have to put it either get rid of my airbox and redo intake or in the boot and will have to box it so it meets CAMS scrutineering

I have mine mounted where the airbox used to be. I heard some people have felt lag when it's mounted in the boot. So it was easy enough to put it in the front and i didn't need to make custom lines or box it in.

i was hoping to talk with him but he hasn't been on the site for a while.

did you upgrade the alternator as well?

only thing deterring me at the moment is where i'm going to have to put it either get rid of my airbox and redo intake or in the boot and will have to box it so it meets CAMS scrutineering

Nah stock alternator, but again, his is only a track cruiser doesn't see strenuous lock to lock stuff. I would only imagine it drawing high current at very low speeds though so probably not QUITE needed to upgrade alt. It has an 80A fuse from factory which is usually 10-20% more than it will ever pull so I don't see there being any issue.

I have mine mounted where the airbox used to be. I heard some people have felt lag when it's mounted in the boot. So it was easy enough to put it in the front and i didn't need to make custom lines or box it in.

would yo be able to put up a pic?

I have just made that the new location so i haven't made the rest of the bracket and all the wiring is currently out of the car but my trigger wire and the main goes through an 80 relay and fuse and has it's own switch.

This makes the pump only have the main power connected once the switch is on instead of all the time.

ry8VnKA.jpg23LMRJ1.jpgdM2TSAF.jpg

I had one fitted in my HQ ute with a Vortech Supercharged injected 304. I paid $50 of a wreck on gumtree too.

Had lines made by pirtek for the conversion, ran it as is, and then put a restrictor in the line, was way too much assistance with open lines. I also had an upgraded alternator, may be an idea. Had my auto sparky make a new loom to suit as well.

There is plenty of how to guides on the web though, this is a pretty popular conversion in the UK.

Mine was mounted under the guard at the front, with the bracket mounted onto the chassis rail. There's a couple of different type I believe, different mounts and reservoirs.

If you have to use a different pump from OEM, it's definatley the way to go.

Edited by rotaheadrx7

What about the Mazda 3/6 electrically driven power steering set up, the best selling car in Australia can't be wrong. Or even better something like my xtrail had electrical assisted power steering, no pump, no fluid, no hoses, no belts, still has good feel and feedback. Could this sort of system be fitted to an S chassis?

Much higher complexity. The astra pump is literally an electric driven pump instead of belt that is either on or off. When you go full electric you've got a whole host of extra sensors to fit.

Have looked at a few different pumps. The astra is the easiest as reservoir and pump are one unit.

At the moment I'm just going to relocate the reservoir into the Airbox and make braided lines. As I can get everything done in one afternoon and get driving again.

I have a full electric setup for an icv i am building. It's a column mounted unit and has its own control unit with a potentiometer to control the level of assist.

The hydro electric pump is much easier to setup than full electric. There is no way i'd put a full electric setup in a car that came with some form of fluid based power steering when the astra pumps are readily available.

Id be reducing pressure electronically rather than waste power by using a restrictor inline. The pump could be controlled via PWM