Sign in to follow this  
Jumunji

Car in the workshop - Mechanic Updates - Discuss

Hey guys,

I wanted to get people views on this and particularly if there are any mechanics around I'd love to hear your thought.

I dropped off my s15 for a variety of work 2 and a half weeks ago (Cams,springs,retainers, injectors,turbo,external gate, z32/custom intake). I was wondering what you guys expect the amount of time to complete this should be? I also want to know, when your cars are being worked on how often do you guys ask for updates, I've been waiting about 3-4 days between request but get the impression I'm pissing off my mechanic by asking, however if I don't ask I don't seem to get anything :(.

Just something to get chatting about, let me know your thoughts!

PS - I miss my silvia :blush:

That is a bit long to get your car back. Did he give you a timeframe to begin with?

You would expect to be kept in the loop regarding progress of your car as your a paying customer. Unfortunately from some of my past experiences, this doesn't happen.

On the flip side for example my engine builder has sent me progress pics and updates when things are coming along.

It would be different if you were ringing up every arvo asking for updates though lol that would piss anyone off.

Not really, but it's still a bit frustrating that a mate got the same amount of work done in 5 days :/ He's one of the top in Sydney but I'm just the kind of guy that's pedantic and likes to know what's going on and where we are at especially when you're dropping 3k on all the labour.

Not really, but it's still a bit frustrating that a mate got the same amount of work done in 5 days :/ He's one of the top in Sydney but I'm just the kind of guy that's pedantic and likes to know what's going on and where we are at especially when you're dropping 3k on all the labour.

Yeah absolutely. It's quite frustrating isn't it especially when it's not peanuts were taking about.

A workshop was dodging my calls (my car was there for 3 weeks and had massive problems) I ended up just calling and saying I'm coming in to see what's going on. I ended up cutting my losses and taking it somewhere else.

He's definitely an amazing mechanic, I won't drop names but he has built some of Sydney's most renowned street cars! Just wish I got some more pics and regular updates. I guess sometimes they forget how much is sucks being without your motorised child :P!

It depends what else is going on in the workshop and what was discussed before the car was dropped off there. If you said you need it done in a week they should've allocated enough hours to your car for that week. The age of the main mechanic has a lot to do with it also, the older blokes don't do photos and text updates and they are usually too busy at the end of the day to phone you. Don't rush them to do X by a set date because they'll half arse it just to meet the date for you. Parts could be holding up the schedule or they might have had parts sent off for powder coating, polishing, fabrication etc.

If the workshop is as good as you expect it to be it's probably worth the wait no matter how long it takes to finish. Tell them you've borrowed a car to replace yours while they have it and the owner wants to know how long you'll need it.

It's really unprofessional in my view when you don't get updates. The problem is that $3k for you is chump change for these big workshops.

For a bit of perspective, it's not uncommon to wait months or years for some of these supposedly reputable outfits to finish jobs. Modifying cars is an exercise in patience unfortunately. Your mechanic is probably paying your car off in favour of a regular customer, or some drug dealer dropping $50k on a short notice job

I think, unfortunately, you are right Tom. Lets see how today goes mate, I got some photos tonight and it seems to be just about done. I'll keep you guys updated :)

Thanks

Caydenn

Depends on their backlog, most shops work on like half a dozen cars at a time so yeah.

Same as dyno tuning, they say they need a full day. But really it's about 30 mins on the dyno, 5 minutes strapping up and 5 mins locating a previous tune from another car with similar mods and pasting it into your car then tidying up the AFRs and timing (based on knock etc.)

Yea for sure, Only thing was, I asked to have my car done last november and was suggested I come in on the first day after the christmas break, so I guess I expected to get done as a priority.

So they never said "the car will be ready by XYZ?" A decent workshop should be able to manage their schedule such that they can tell people an ETA on which date the work will be completed. Not to mention, actually delivering within that timeframe as well, or at least communicating why delays occur.

Edited by Skepticism

I leave for my holiday On Saturday morning and was told the car would be done before then, It's not 3pm on Wednesday and I STILL do not have a tune time/date.

Starting to get pissed off now :rant:

Edited by Jumunji

Hey Mate,

I do a lot of DIY and don't often send shit to my mechanic, but my mechanic and i are decent enough friends.

recently i had a big end go, my mechanic told me how to do it myself and insisted that i did.

I told him i wasn't comfortable and would rather drop him of the engine and watch - he was not keen on this, you could tell immediately

I dropped the motor off and flew out to work on the monday, i told him id expect pictures cause i love pictures, he said he was fine with it and would be a week or so.

The next day i got mms with pictures of the damage and then the motor back together saying its all done and RTG.

Anyway, i think its the relationship you have with the mechanic tbh...personally id be very upfront when dropping of the car the timeframe & as soon as that's passed id be calling every day (if i was expecting to use the car anyway, if i'm away or done give a f**k then maybe ever 3-4 days)