Sign in to follow this  
Neptune Harrod

SR20DE to DET Swap Questions and T3 Turbo on SR20?!

Doing a Sr20de to sr20det swap soon. Need a few pointers on some things i will need to buy and if there will be any problems that might occur?

First of all, would it be easier to when i pull my NA engine out should i take the gearbox with it, or should i just leave it on the chassis and just drop the sr in and bolt it up?

Second, am i going to need coils packs to be able to run this car or can i use the spark leads from the distributer?

Can i use a T3 turbo from a r33 skyline stock nissan turbo to run this her? (as a low mount) Due to that i don't have enough money for a sr turbo. And my brothers old stocky turbo is gathering dust in a box.

Will i need to get her tuned after doing this swap? Due to this will be my daily.

Last but not least, can i just run this setup without a bov to make extra zuututuuu? ;) However i will be buying a hks bov when i get some more doe.

Atm i have on my shopping list.

DET loom, DET Ecu, intercooler (side mount) and piping. Exhaust manifold, dump pipe (welding a r33 dump to fit), turbo oil lines, obviously the SR20DET blacktop out of a 180sx non vct, and possibly the coil packs. Have i got everything? Thanks for reading really need some advice on this, since im doing this swap by myself and a mate.

Edited by Neptune Harrod

I have not done the swap, but just by reading your post, I can tell you dont know what you're doing.

turbo wont fit, distributer isnt even used, you're missing water lines.

There is guides already that detail what you need and how to do it. you are a long way off.

I found it easier to remove gearbox with engine (no access to hoist or pit).

T3 will not fit.

No bov will be OK.

Dist. And leads are not used on sr20det.

Could also get an adapter and have it sit in the wrong position, albeit how bad it is I don't know from personal experience, as I've never used one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JDM-TURBO-Flange-adaptor-T2-to-T3-Silvia-S13-S14-S15-R32-R33-R34-universal-item-/130914266239?hash=item1e7b192c7f:g:-CkAAOxyA4ZROC8r

You are however much better off buying a stock T25g turbo.

For real, someone on NS actually suggested running the tiny stock snail, but it's what I would do in your position. It's a daily driver, you're inexperienced, you're running the oem sidemount and you can't afford a tune. The fastest, cheapest, easiest and best-performing option in that scenario is the stock turbo. Everything will fit, it will perform well with the stock tune, and you will have no problems with parts (no custom intake pipes, no clocking adapters, no custom intercooler pipes or issues with the drain pipe). Boost to 10psi and enjoy.

Sure it won't be shredding tyres in 3rd gear, dropping panties, and skinny-jeaned hipsters won't be jacking-off to it when you post your digital SLR photos on facebook, but I can guarantee you'll have fun in it.

If you're in NSW and need a stock sidemount plus an HKS bov, I have a spare oem intercooler and an HKS SSQV on a mount pipe I can sell you for a good price. If I haven't binned it already, I might even have my old T25g, which I had to weld to a one-piece dump/front pipe when I snapped a few studs; you could have that cheaply if you want since it isn't worth much. Got a couple of stock exhaust manifolds spare too, as well as a few intake manifolds which should have injectors.

Thanks all so much for the advice. i will buy a t28 turbo then, this was my second option if the t3 would not fit.

Pmod i live in Perth WA, but would be happy to buy them and get them delivered here? Thanks all.