Sign in to follow this  
ActionDan

E85 my current setup?

Track car - CA18, GT2560, 18psi, 460cc rx7 injectors, Walbro 400lph and 255lph fuel pumps (surge tank) 200rwkw.

I was contemplating throwing e85 in it as my weekender will be tuned for it but wasn't sure how far I'd get on those injectors or if those pumps would like it.

I was taking fuel out when we last tuned it so I don't think the injectors are working hard.

I hear the 30% more figure thrown around, but people also said 440cc gtr injectors max out at 200kw in a CA, and they definitely do not.

You might get by but if you don't then you'll need another trip to the tuners and could have spent that money on bigger injectors in the first place

I have access to a dyno an can tune it myself (as I did for the 98 tune) SAFC v2 and SITC.

Cheers

too small, get 1000cc

they're cheap enough, or get 1150 or 1250 which are stainless.. avoid remanufactured ones like XSPurt, etc.

A mate of mine said on an SR20 with all the other things the same he made 220, so I can't see my CA making that.

I would love a few NMs in the mid range though.

too small, get 1000cc

they're cheap enough, or get 1150 or 1250 which are stainless.. avoid remanufactured ones like XSPurt, etc.

That's just crazy talk. I have 1000cc in the GT-R, the CA does not need 1000cc when I'm not swapping the turbo out.

BUDGET track car.

the question was more about will there be ANY gain with the current setup changing only to e85 and if those pumps would handle e85

If i end up with the same peak power but 30 or whatever more Nm of torque, then sounds good to me.

But if the gains are almost zero because i will run out of injector and the pumps will get eaten up, then no point.

Injectors will be too small as s15 inj 480cc only good for 200-210kw 98oct on a sr so will be simalar

If you had 550cc or 600cc would be enough and isn't ca top feed so plenty of cheap injectors around

Plenty to be gained on e85 but not with a safc as that's only air fuel you can adjust not ign timing where is most of the gains will be at and more boost

People say that, but we were taking fuel OUT with 460cc injectors on a CA with 200kw.

I didn't wanna spend any money on it, GT-R is eating my funds. So will just leave as is while I finish the diff upgrade and subframe swap I already have going on for the S13.

I have the SITC as well so I can do timing. Yes just a signal bender, but the car made the same 200rwkw everyone else makes with a Nistune and the same mods, the Nistune didn't exist when I put the SAFC in it and I got both very cheap.

SAFC and SITC guessimate controllers won't be sufficient.

with E85 you can EASILY dial in 5 degrees in the mid range and up to 7 up top!

however you need a proper ECU to get this to happen.

I reckon if your top feeds are ok in terms of spray pattern just bump the shit out of the fuel pressure and run them at 4bar then tune. Also because I doubt your hair dryer can produce adequate amount of boost your fuel pressure will be fine.. 4bar + 1.5bar only 5.5bar total fuel pressure.

You'd be surprised what you can do with SITC and SAFC if you know how they actually work, use a dyno, and know what you're doing.

The biggest issue with them is part throttle tuning, but that's not a problem in a track car as that shit is almost always WOT :D

yes I know exactly how they work and I don't like them.. I've tuned a car with a SAFC, works but not to my liking.

I prefer putting in numbers exactly where I want them, being able to dial in what ever timing I want on accel/decel, etc.

Agreed and also preferred.

However,

"the Nistune didn't exist when I put the SAFC in it and I got both very cheap"

$200 for both units when they were worth 2-300 each back then.

It is what it is and until this motor lets go, it's not likely going to change unless a Nistune comes along for beer money.

but E85 and nistune will prolong that motor :)

good example, my R33 has over 350 xxx on it (yes the dash now says 152 xxx) but it's an Edward Lee's Special EditionalewallahOdoRewind.

I track just as much as you, motor is stock but I didn't skimp on decent fuel setup and ECU... still going strong.. and now also getting a new turbo.. might try 27psi into the head LOL

Although everyone on SAU says my motor will blow up with 20psi or more.

That's what you're missing, I don't track much at all, a handful of times a year tops.

GT-R gets priority for the moment, so until that's finished, CA18 gets to make do with what it has or can be acquired for super cheap.

Handful of times a year to me says forget E85.

Plus if you don't want to upgrade injectors then the possibility of a dead pump / stuffed injectors / upgrade fuel line etc is going to give you nightmares.

Just put it back together and drive it. E85 won't make it any faster because it doesn't move. Drive it. Then drive it again. Then keep doing that until those shit tyres are dead. Then buy some slicks then drive it some more then maybe look at making it faster.

Ps e85 is the best

Just try it. Put the E85 in there and get it re-tuned. 99% of cars make more power and make it earlier, so your car shouldn't be any different. The 2560 you have should be good for up 220-230rwk or so (from memory... its been a long time!). If it doesnt make more up top due to other restrictions (cams?), it will make more mid range.

If the fuel pump and injectors cant handle it, upgrade them or revert back to 98. I think the 460cc are too small but like above get a fuel reg and up the pressure. Thats what I did when my 740cc maxed out 260rwk

Not sure why you are procrastinating when you have access to a dyno that I assume is free.

I'm not procrastinating I'm researching as I'm time poor and don't want to do it twice.