Sign in to follow this  
matausi

Stripped thread on 4 pot caliper - fixable?

Hey guys,

I stripped the thread on the caliper by using the banjo bolts on stock brakes. Knowing now I needed to use new hoses and fitting.

Is there any way to salvage this caliper by tap and die to fit the banjo bolt? Or is it always going to leak now etc.

pdmvjnuy.re4.jpg

You can use a helicoil in the thread. The thread doesn't actually create the seal, the copper washer on the flat face does. I have a helicoil in one of my calipers and it is fine.

You can use a helicoil in the thread. The thread doesn't actually create the seal, the copper washer on the flat face does. I have a helicoil in one of my calipers and it is fine.

I've read this stock banjo bolt would be too long however? Would I need to shorten it?

I've read this stock banjo bolt would be too long however? Would I need to shorten it?

You can remove the olive inside the caliper and that should allow the banjo to thread all the way and seat.

I threaded a self tapper in it and wiggled it loose and then pulled it out with pliers.

IMG_20160325_105927_299.jpg

IMG_20160325_110801_617.jpg

So i have two options,

1. Tap and Die to rethread the hole and remove the olive. Use stock brake line and banjo bolt to fit

2. Helicoil, to fit GKTech braided lines (these are made for the 4 pots arent they)

Yeah or am i missing something?

considering the going rate for s15 and r33gtst calipers id be inclined just to get another one/set...but a helocoil would also work.

Also, get a torque wrench and crow feet sockets...

I wouldn't bother trying to retap it. It's a very fine thread.

I am not home at the moment to check, but do s14/15 calipers even have a machined face to use a banjo bolt?

Do 4 Pot calipers not use banjo bolts from stock?

Also are the 4 pot lines from each of these different? i.e R/Z Chassis 4 pot have a different hole to the S14/S15 4 pot

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/s14-s15-200sx-braided-brake-lines-front-rear-set.html

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/r32-gts-t-gst-r33-gts-t-gtr-braided-brake-lines-front-rear-set.html

S14/15 have an olive/flare nut setup, not a banjo bolt.

Thanks,

So that GKTech kit for S14/S15 braided lines has Banjo bolts in it. I assume this is for stock calipers and not 4 pots?

How about R32 R33 Z32? Do they also use a Olive/Flare nut setup? Can I use the GKTech Braided R32 R33 front lines for my S14 S15 4 pot calipers?

4 pots are the standard brakes.

Fronts use a flare nut, rears use a banjo bolt.

R33s use flare nuts for both front and rear.

If the caliper has a machined flat face around the tapped hole then you can use a banjo bolt setup.

If the caliper has a machined flat face around the tapped hole then you can use a banjo bolt setup.

This +1

I run z32 4 pots. 1 has been helicoiled and I've removed olives and run a banjo bolt, no leaks or problems in years. Can be done.

As already said, I'd just replace the caliper and run a little seal kit through it. A helicoil is your only alternative, as Joel said, because boring out a line hole and running a banjo bolt on one side [only] is bit silly. From memory the flare nut goes into a tapered thread, at least that's how it is with my R33 calipers, so a helicoil won't work on the stock S14 lines.

Replace the caliper, run a seal kit through it if you're feeling frisky, and then get some replacement front S14 lines (or whatever is correct for the conversion).

I say this because it's far easier to maintain something predictable than something that's bespoke. Damage a caliper? Just throw on a spare you over-nighted from Japan and drive on. Not so if one side uses an S13 line with a helicoil.

Mate if you're in Sydney I've got a single spare caliper I can sell you for next to nothing. I wouldn't bother trying to fix it given the price of a replacement caliper.