Sign in to follow this  
PsyberWolf

fuel for tuning car

Hi All,

Getting a new ECU, injectors and tune/remap soon on my sr20det 180sx. now i normally drive with 98octane fuel for most of the time, i do sometimes travel long distances (maybe a 1000kms trip twice a year) and sometimes and only 95octane fuel is available, now since im getting the tune soon - should i tune with 98 or 95?. reason for me asking is that if for some reason im on a long trip and only 95 is available will this harm the engine if its tuned for 98?

Thanks,

Hi

If for the majority of the time you're going to be running the car on 98, then get it tuned on 98. I honestly cant see that it would knock between a difference of 3 octane, unless maybe its tuned REALLY aggressively with max timing?? I dunno...

Im certainly no expert though, im interested to hear what others have to say.

Get the car tuned on the 98 octane fuel carried at your local fill up point.

If you're cruising interstate you won't be running boost very often, so you won't have any issues with 95 octane.

it will run ok on 95 so long as you dont get on it.

you will start to knock when you load up the engine. so in otherwords you should be ok to run 95 sometimes so long as you dont get up it, when on 95, and drive somewhat sedately.

or get it tuned on 95 if your terribly worried.

Tune it on 98 and for the 1000km a year you have to run on 95 add some octane booster but bring it with you as most remote places like to price their additives equal to a kidney because they know you won't go elsewhere.

thanks for the replies guys, yeah when i travel interstate i dont run boost and just cruise at 100 km/h. im happy to just take it easy if i get lower octane fuel :).

Tune car for 98RON, when you decide to use 95RON bring out the timing gun and retard your CAS by about 3 degrees.. happy days.

LOL A bottle of octane booster is a better/ easier /safer idea :)

Tune car for 98RON, when you decide to use 95RON bring out the timing gun and retard your CAS by about 3 degrees.. happy days.

LOL A bottle of octane booster is a better/ easier /safer idea :)

hmmm, so i looked up octane booster, they had a blerb specifically for this reason too, see below, might carry one on long trips.

For any vehicle tuned for premium 98 octane fuel, carrying a bottle of octane booster during interstate and rural holidays can also be very helpful where premium fuel may not be available. Whilst this product can’t completely compensate for the difference between standard 91 and premium 98 fuel grades, it can go a long way to ensuring that your emergency fuel stop does not lead to permanent engine damage or failure.

what's wrong with pulling ignition timing? easier solution and free

once its tuned i don't want to touch under the hood, esp if going on a long trip.

what's wrong with pulling ignition timing? easier solution and free

octane booster = easier. less efforts to give. dont need to buy a timing gun to see how much 2-3deg retard is

spesh for once or twice a year. i know what id preffer to do. a bottle of shit would fit my lazieness bill.

just go for a 98 tune theres always a margin for safety in this case 95 or just leave it to the tuner