Sign in to follow this  
millerman

How close were you

How lucky were you?

I came very close to a snapped timing belt on my Lexus IS200

B78EEEF2-EF09-4A54-897D-78981C47F37C.jpg

Definitely got my money worth

My crowning achievement of modification incompetence, followed by good judgement:

2012-01-28095002.jpg

2012-01-28095002.jpg

2012-01-28111824.jpg

2012-01-28111836.jpg

Left the wheel nut tightening to a friend, but never even thought to check it when I dove the car home late one night a few weeks later. Thought the steering rack was damaged when it started shaking coming back from the gym, but had no suitable tools to check it at my place. Whilst driving to the wreckers Saturday morning to buy a new steering rack, the shuddering got worse on the M4 motorway, so I slowed down and moved to an off-ramp, slowed down even more as it got worse until I was strolling along, finally being greeted with a clunk and the smell of burning rubber. Made an educated guess that I'd dropped the left wheel but it was still captive in the arch since I was still rolling, so decided to make only slow left turns until I could stop somewhere. Sadly it got knocked off turning left into a KFC carpark, courtesy of the little lip at the entrance, but I had a baller run all things considered.

Called my old man to bring me a jack, some tools from his place and get some nuts from Repco, then 50 minutes later I had picked the alloy out of the threads and the wheel mounted. My alternative was to phone a Taxi to take me to the nearest Supercheap, buy a jack and tools, then fix it solo. Didn't ever buy that steering rack lol.

Pmod by the time you get back to your car after a trip to super cheap you would have found it stripped.

- I've got 200,000km from a timing belt before and the mechanic was amazed it hadn't snapped on me due to the condition it was in when they removed it.

- Cruising down the road one day and one of the wheels fell off due to me putting the wrong wheel nuts on and them fulling off.

- Number of times I've been extremely lucky not to have been rapped around a tree drifting around on dirt roads.

- I guess you can call it luck or stupidity but when I bought my 180 I saw it and bought it without even checking it over. Was a direct exchange of cash and keys and my test drive was the drive home. Never gave me any problems until I started modifying it.

That's just a few luck moments I've had related to cars.

Had a similar story with wheel nuts on my Y34 Gloria, for a few days it just had a weird steering feel id check the wheels looked under the car and no issues it would come and go as it pleased and being a rareish car i was puzzled to the fault but figured id check the bearings on the weekend and pull wheels off and just go from there.

On the way to a mates it got really bad and i pulled over checked the nuts all good got to the front left and i was able to tighten them by hand =S

i was close to getting busted having a wank when i was 15. does that count ?

had the loose wheel nuts happen once on the front left.

the wobble / vibration on sweeping bends made me stop and check.

how you miss it / not feel it driving i dont quite understand lol.

smell of fuel and a small puddle getting bigger under the fuel tank of my old R31 daily, stuck my head under the car, noticed a perished rubber fuel line from the tank to the hard line. it was spraying about 6 fine mists of fuel in all directions

all it needed was a lit ciggie butt, would have gone up in flames pretty quick

Boiled my brake fluid coming down the old moss vale road into the Kangaroo Valley. I made a thread about it before.

May have been here. https://goo.gl/maps/ukBTgW8dpUk - I remember pulling over on the runoff and seeing a couple of crucifixes on the cliff face on the left.

Where I was lucky: Was behind a truck for the first few hairpins. And I had slowed down a bit for some reason anyway just prior, and at least had brakes entering the corner, then there was the nice little runoff area to the right. Otherwise I dunno hey. Got lucky.

Edited by Skepticism

I found the front mail seal leaking on my 180 not long after buying it. I removed the crank pulley bolt with my fingers then pulled the balancer off with one hand, and I'm just a regular guy.

I imagine it wouldn't have been pretty had it come off whilst driving. As it was the keyway in the crank was toast.

I found the front mail seal leaking on my 180 not long after buying it. I removed the crank pulley bolt with my fingers then pulled the balancer off with one hand, and I'm just a regular guy.

I imagine it wouldn't have been pretty had it come off whilst driving. As it was the keyway in the crank was toast.

Had the same thing happen on my Honda Prelude. Got a new pulley and that almost came off too, so I eventually had to run some locktite on the threads.

Had the same thing happen on my Honda Prelude. Got a new pulley and that almost came off too, so I eventually had to run some locktite on the threads.

Luckily I had a spare engine at the time so I just dropped that in. Not before I bought a new pulley without checking the crank though. :doh:

Went out camping and my fan belt started squealing really badly. Since I was a bit out of the next town I continued in case I got stuck after turning the car off. Got into the next town and poped the bonnet to find the bolts which held my alternator on had all fallen out with only the fan belt holding it. Lucky the alternator didn't fall out onto the road.

Was a young ass two bit p plater punk who thought he knew everything many moons ago, had just finished doing some work on my rx4 coupe, put the wheels back on and tightened the nuts while still on stands. Dropped car back onto ground tightened wheel nuts and went for test drive. Got 100m down the road, going over speed hump and boom, front drivers side of car starts scraping the ground. Shiiit, forgot to tighten those nuts, wheel came off and literally just took off, bouncing and rolling down the road for a couple of hundred metres. I got out and chased it, brought it back to the car and then ran back home and got my jack. I put the wheel back on, luckily no damage other than the grease nipple getting grinded off the lower ball joint.

Lesson learnt, make sure you tighten those f#*ken wheel nuts. Has never happened to me again :)

When i first got my P's i cut my wheel studs down about 20mm all round to fit 17x7 wheels with bolt on spacers to my s13. About 6 months later i upgraded to 17x8 wheels with a lower offset and was using lightweight alloy wheel nuts at the time. I took the car out to QR friday night drifts and ended up loosing the rear left wheel on the last link coming onto main straight, due to stripping the inside of the threads on the wheel nuts whilst running the shortened studs on wider wheels.

The time I averaged around 160-170kph on back roads to Braidwood in middle of the night. Parked the car and heard a small hiss. The rear tyre was worn down to the wires and deflated as I parked.

The time I bent a tie rod and drove the car home with one wheel at 45 degrees from straight.

And many more