Sign in to follow this  
chaos85

Head gasket for 250rwkw. 1.0mm ok?

Hey guys, I have some parts sitting here ready to go on but need a stronger head gasket for my S15. I have an Apexi ax53b70, bigger cooler/injectors/fuel pump, poncams, adjustable cam gear on the exhaust side, Power FC(all not yet installed) etc so all the support modifications are there. In regards to a head gasket, I want to retain the stock(or better) response/minimal lag so I don't want to go too thick. Would a 1.0mm thick head gasket still be able to get me max power with the turbo and setup I have? 87mm bore is fine for an S15 SR20DET? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

yeah plenty good.. but that turbo you've got isn't going to do you any favours.. it's a bucket of lags and dinorawr technology.. make sure you get decent head studs, like the ARP flavour.. ARP2000 is better, but standard non-2000 will be plenty for your dream power.

Best you sell it and buy a GTX2867 as they're light years head.. and if you ever go E85 you'll near 300kW

To be honest, with 250kW you can easily achieve that with the motor unopened, no need for headstuds or head gaskets.. just cams in, turbo in, iniejctors afm and tune

Edited by Johnnilicte

yeah plenty good.. but that turbo you've got isn't going to do you any favours.. it's a bucket of lags and dinorawr technology.. make sure you get decent head studs, like the ARP flavour.. ARP2000 is better, but standard non-2000 will be plenty for your dream power.

Best you sell it and buy a GTX2867 as they're light years head.. and if you ever go E85 you'll near 300kW

To be honest, with 250kW you can easily achieve that with the motor unopened, no need for headstuds or head gaskets.. just cams in, turbo in, iniejctors afm and tune

Hmmm I read the turbo has minimal lag and was quite praised back in the day? I know the technology is like 8-9 years old though lol. I'll probably go Mazworx headstuds because they completely bottom out unlike the ARP variants.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=250621

Would 87mm bore for the head gasket be suitable? Thanks again.

Edited by chaos85

sell turbo to some dreamer, use money buy a real turbo like the GTX2867 or GTX2863..

do you really want to do all this work for only 250kW? no need for HG or Head studs..

yeah it's fine, it's 1mm over though.. have used in a mate's car and they work

if it aint broke dont fix it.

leave the head alone unless hte gasket is cactus !

i has the gtx2867r runs about 22/23psi boost, 'step 2' cams, usual mods. should be in the order of 250rwkw. never lifted hte head. never blown a gasket. lifes sweet.

Edited by n0nac-S15

1.2mm gasket is what you need if you don't want to increase compression

Apexi (IHI) turbos are supposed to be very responsive, but the turbine housings crack. I've had two with the same crack in between the guts and the waste gate flap. There's a dude on here in Melbourne who rebuilds them and other un-rebuildable turbos.

I have an ihi vn14 on my car with the same crack in the rear housing you talk of. Its definitely a very responsive turbo. Spools slightly faster than the t28 and should do roughly the same power as a disco potato. Will have e85 results in 2 weeks.

if its of any use to you, im just about to order a 87mm x 1.0mm head gasket for my 180sx which is making around 300ish hp or around 230 ish rwkw. hoping that once i put the 850cc injectors in that i have waiting for it, a touch more boost and compression ill be around the 250rwkw.

the extra compression will do you favours in response but the downside is that you wont be able to run as much ignition timing as you would've before. but thats where e85 or e-flex comes in handy ;)

also, ive got 86.5mm pistons so the gasket is 0.5mm larger than the bore, or 0.25mm either side or if you like imperial measurements about 0.010" or to put it simply sweet f*^k all :)

Edited by NMD