Sign in to follow this  
MeRlz

Brake Booster alternatives

Hey Guys/Gals,

I've tried searching first before i did ask this but i don't think anyone will seem to mind if this is a repost because it gives people a chance to answer a question and help me out and get this forum going again.

I'm having some brake booster issues as you can see below in the picture. I was forced to remove mine with the Ikeya Plenum. Currently have the Chasebays delete kit.

I took the car for a quick drive today just to see how it feels and it seems to be alright and i could get used to it. You just need to really stand on the brakes to get it to pull up fast.

I'm just wondering if i decide to go back to a brake booster option. Are there smaller alternatives rather than a stock one that i can squeeze in there?

Would it be worth setting up a remote brake booster hot rod style in the boot?

The brakes are Greddy 6pot calipers w/355 rotors front & R33 GTR Brembo in rear.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

20160709_130817.jpg

If i was on a computer i could prob explain it better. But if you can move the hole that the fork bolts through up on the pedal, the leverage will be greater and it will have a bit longer feel as well

Can you move the pivot point on the stock set up tho?

Gktech make a set up for a willwood master and mention the leverage was adjusted to suite.

Other than a remote booster setup, i dont think any other booster in nissan family will clear

Some of the guys use Nissan sentra from around the same era and it is considerably smaller, but still, dont think it will clear

Sentra booster:

IMG_8015r.jpg

It's not as thick as the s14/s15 booster

Hmm... This is what i feared.

Well if i can't get used to the whole 'no booster' thing i'll just run a remote setup in the boot.

Thank you all for the info guys.

How good/bad are the chasebay no booster setup? Have you driven it hard to see how bad/good you can lean on them? I've asked Chasebay about it and their answer is that it has been used in numerous cars with 6 pot fronts so there will be no issue, haven't see any feedback from anyone online other than the drift guys....

Unless you change the leverage point it is always going to feel too hard. The pedal leverage is designed to be used with a booster.

Did you have a look under the dash?

How good/bad are the chasebay no booster setup? Have you driven it hard to see how bad/good you can lean on them? I've asked Chasebay about it and their answer is that it has been used in numerous cars with 6 pot fronts so there will be no issue, haven't see any feedback from anyone online other than the drift guys....

Currently the brakes still feel pretty good. I haven't had a proper test of the brakes yet though. Haven't tested the limits of them either since the car isn't completely finished and needs a tune. I only took the car up and down the road to see how the brakes felt.

Unless you change the leverage point it is always going to feel too hard. The pedal leverage is designed to be used with a booster.

Did you have a look under the dash?

Haven't had a proper look at this yet. I'll follow up on this though.

^^ Interesting.. I see what you mean now.

Hard to say once again because i haven't driven it properly. But there is a far amount of travel before it starts to bite.

I will look into that though.

Thanks Blingy!!

So i took it for a proper drive yesterday. I get the car back into my own hands tomorrow.

Brake pedal feel is considerably bad. You start pushing brakes and it barely bites and you gotta push really really hard to get it to stop quickly.

So i did some researching to try resolve this issue and I looking through old s-chassis builds wherever i could find them.

Found a particular guy in JDMST forum who is running an S13 Ikeya Formula Plenum on his 180.

He seems to be running a brake booster on his car just fine with very tight clearance. It looks to be CA18 brake booster though.

Can anyone confirm if CA brake booster is a bit smaller than SR?

Edited by MeRlz

I'm running a booster off an old turbo exa. It's 8" diameter if I remember correctly. One of them might fit. It's a significant decrease in cross sectional area compared to the factory 10" though so still expect to need a bit of pedal pressure unless running grabby pads.

Found a picture of the booster that will work.

Anyone care to elaborate what this is from?

28qzrqb.jpg

Kind Regards,

Edited by MeRlz

I'm running a booster off an old turbo exa. It's 8" diameter if I remember correctly. One of them might fit. It's a significant decrease in cross sectional area compared to the factory 10" though so still expect to need a bit of pedal pressure unless running grabby pads.

This could be the same booster that i'm thinking of.

I'm finding it pretty difficult to heel-toe without the booster now.

You cant place half a foot on the brake pedal and have it slow down fast enough. You need to be pushing with full force to pull it up.

Is your car factory manual or auto? Auto silvias had a bigger brake booster than manuals. It's big enough that you can't remove it with the stock plenum in, vs. the manual booster coming out easy.

According to MCM, a lot of subaru parts are interchangeable with nissans, including much smaller boosters. Dunno which ones though. CSH

Also note that non abs boosters are thinner than abs boosters, in an S14 anyway.

The non abs one is 255mm diameter and 75mm between mounting faces - this is a single diaphragm booster.

The abs one is 230mm diameter and 115mm between mounting faces - I believe this is dual diaphragm.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=467933

Also note that non abs boosters are thinner than abs boosters, in an S14 anyway.

The non abs one is 255mm diameter and 75mm between mounting faces - this is a single diaphragm booster.

The abs one is 230mm diameter and 115mm between mounting faces - I believe this is dual diaphragm.

http://www.nissansil...ttach_id=467933

That's a great piece of information right there. Thank you very much. Makes a lot of sense since the Type X came out with ABS standard which is probably why it wasn't fitting.