Sign in to follow this  
Bobo180sx

Help Needed Setting up Electronic Boost Controller

Hi All,

So finally got my HDI Electronic Boost Controller and i installed it today, Followed all the steps and it was pretty easy.

on the lowest setting car is still boosting to 14psi and if i didn't back of it may have boosted to even more, Do i maybe have a boost leak somewhere?

the only thing i can think of is i hooked up the intake pressure line to the same line i have my boost gauge on? Could this be causing the boost spikes?

check the plumbing, that the right lines go to the right places.

also check the settings, turn the gain right down, see if that makes a difference

check the plumbing, that the right lines go to the right places.

also check the settings, turn the gain right down, see if that makes a difference

Hi Mate, Thanks for the reply, Checked all the lines, seems like they are all correct, Will have to buy some more vacuum lines this weekend and replace all the sus ones i think.

Setting is turned down to the lowest,But still boosts to 14psi

http://www2.hybrid-power.com/installation/installation/hdiebc-rjpg.pdf

checked all the plugs that its all cliped together properly?

and there is the vacuum hose going from inter cooler pipe nipple teed from solenoid and to the unit inside the cabin ?

http://www2.hybrid-power.com/installation/installation/instruction%20of%20SBC-D-SE%20DRB%202014.pdf

this link shows the connections more clearly.

just tripple chek that port connections that it goes from solenoid to wastegate, and the intercooler nipple to the middle port. its important the you get the right nipple to the wastegate, and the solenoid looks the same as the pics.

Check that you don't have an aftermarket wastegate with an adjustable (threaded) shaft, or an external gate with a 14psi spring. If the wastegate is set to 14psi, you won't get it lower with an EBC.

after double checking and tripple checking all the vacuum hoses still hitting high boost on lowest setting, im staring to think something must be welded?

hey guys does the actuator look welded?

still hitting well over 10psi, i keep backing away, and the EBC is on the lowest setting

actuator.jpg

What I would do first is see what it is boosting at just running actuator pressure. So disconnect the ebc for now just see what it is boosting at. If it's still well over 10 psi then it's not related to your ebc. From memory I think wastgate pressure is about 7psi or something. Might be an issue with the actuator sticking and not opening when it should

Edited by mighty190

When you say the intake pressure line is hooked up to the same line as boost controller, do you mean just the pressure feed to the controller? Your pressure feed to the solenoid comes from the turbo outlet/intercooler piping doesn't it?

What was the boost pressure before you connected your boost controller?

As mentioned above.

Turn off boost controller if possible and see what it boosts to on actuator only.

You need to confirm the spring pressure in actuator first.

If you want to check for welded, pop the E clip off the wastegate actuator arm,take the arm off and see if you can move the flapper back and forth.

hey guys, update, so i disconnected the solenoid today and took it for a spin and its hitting 15psi and sitting at 15psi, so im guessing its my actuator?

Does it use a 3x port mac solenoid?

Take a photo of it for me

hi mate, yeah its using the HDI 3 x port solenoid

hey guys, update, so i disconnected the solenoid today and took it for a spin and its hitting 15psi and sitting at 15psi, so im guessing its my actuator?

If you completely removed the valve for the boost controller and it's hitting 15psi, then it's:

- Your internal wastegate is an aftermarket 15psi unit

- Your external wastegate has a 15psi spring

- The internal wastegate arm is adjustable and has been adjusted for 15psi

- There's a blockage in the vacuum line to the wastegate that's causing an 8si oem wastegate to behave like a 15psi gate

The only way to know is for you to investigate or post pics, and also remove the vacuum line and run a brand new one to eliminate the blockage factor.

Actually another question that hasn't been asked or at least I don't think it has. What turbo are you running? Is it a stock one or a bigger one? Also before you put the boost controller in what was it boosting to?

Also, what car is this. I know s15's have a restrictor pill in 1 of the vacuum lines, when this is removed you get 1 bar boost with stock wastegate and boost solenoid. Known as the free boost mod. If your car is an s15, this may be the case.