Sign in to follow this  
Scotties15

s15 coilpacks replacement time - consensus ?

hey all,

so the trusty steed has run into coilpack issues, no.2 dead in the water.

im considering just replacing 1, but at the age and kms on the motor, plus being the standard items, im pretty loathed to venture outside of genuine from taarks, as stock items have lasted 15 years and 188000 kms !

are splitfires even worth it ? when 4 from taarks are ~500 bux.

just seeking opinions after not hearing much about that whole debate for a few years now hah.

cheers

K20a coils are pretty easy to adapt. Need new connectors though and you need to make a slight spacer for the bolt and the coil is a bit taller.

You can get brand new Bosch ones for around 300-350.

More intense options include ign-1a or ls2 truck coils. The Audi r8 coils seem decent and they're only 50 each. Dunno about sizing though

Thanks mate,

will the Bosch items handle ~250ish kw? 22psi ?

not keen on modifying atm, but will buy stock replacements if its easier, they seem to handle powers fine when new or good condition///

The stock coils are a fairly old design even the Splitfires weren't a massive improvement.

I'v tried Denso coils from a yaris with good results on a SR20 and have these on a RB25 adjusting the Dwell would further improve spark.

The K20a coils are the closest to a direct drop in replacement that is superior to stock and Splitfire.

I Am also looking for a coil on plug coilpack to suite my P12 VE head I didn't really want to go to a ign-1a coil + leads. Does any one know of a smaller option with similar performance ?

arh ok, i didnt know that.

so im pretty open to suggestions in regards to a better than stock arrangement that can still be bolted down in place.

the K20a i will investigate further on this idea..

Bosch items are going to be priced up tomorrow and or denso ones.

do the denso items bolt down in stock position?

R8 items look like they are pretty beefy, and narrow enough to fit. cant tell without measurements however

but certainly seem to handle power from the VW boys.

R8 coils are getting big over here, not a massive job really and means you can ditch the standard igniter

Thread here:

http://sxoc.com/vbb/...AG-coil-on-SR20

found a bloke making wiring harnesses from europe somewhere.

and yeah, they are a plug and play arrangement. S15 has no igniter.

but thing is 200 bux for the coils, and 260 for custom made harness.

lol. decisions !

but yeah the R8 coils sit higher, and produce 57000v as opposed to ~25000v standard gear does.

thing i like about them are people running 1.1 gap plugs and 25psi boost !

I think Whiteys wiring was making some kind of harness for the Yaris coils, goes by Protieus on here, hit him up if your interested in going down that road

trak-life sells a kit that converts to Yaris coils with loom and all fitting accessories.

However on S15 and S14A cam/rocker covers you need to trim the inside a little to fit the coils down.

Alternatively just get a S14 S1 cam/rocker cover and will bolt up sweet.

Kyle with the white onevia is running the r8 coils with no issues at 270kw. Have a look into yaris coils as they can be had for $90ea new or grab some from the wreckers for cheap.

if you need a hand modding the loom let me know as it shouldn't take too long to do.

The Yaris coils don't need a new loom, just re-terminate the exisiting into new plugs. Done. I run them on my 15, they won't fit through a 15 rocker cover, S14 must be used so I just swapped.

Dwell on the ECU needs to be adjusted to about 3m/s to get the thing running. Haven't touched mine since.

im running the trak life eck silvia cop kit (yaris coils) at 27psi and have no breakdown in spark.

pissing off the ignitor and running a modern coilpack kit for less than oem replacement sealed the deal

I'm running Yaris coils. Always had a misfire with splitfires. No issues with the Yaris ones at 300rwkw on e85.

so with the yarris coils, do they bolt into s15 rocker etc? no problems? or is there trimming and sutffs? anyone got a part number for the yaris coils?

cheers guys, good info !

The area you place a bolt through needs to be extended with a small metal bracket. The K20 coil is more than likely the exact same coil in a more suitable package.

The K20 coil bolts on physically with not additional modifications required.

Yaris coils will not fit through the 15 rocker cover, they're too fat. You'll need an S14 rocker cover.

K20a are skinnier yaris coils. K20a coils will work on s15 and p11 VE covers

Hey man so if you have an s15 the k20 route would be easier than swapping rocker covers and getting Yaris coils?

Yeah. A mate has a s15/s13 hybrid cover (the one where you weld the s13 non-vct front on) and he runs k20a coils. They fit through the spark plug wells. Just need a small spacer to sit between the valve cover bolt hole and the bolt hole on the coilpack. Should be able to make something pretty easy from the small alloy tube bunnings sell

Thanks Nicknack, good to know ! -

can you confirm a part number please? also, if you know, does it need a new plug to buy to bolt them up?

they seem to be the 3 wire system as well. so can use stock harness.

also, do they provide better spark over stock s15 items?

as i am looking to run stock gaps if i can, as higher voltage spark is what im chasing.

i think i found a K20a (or K24) coil from denso - 673-2301

Bosch has one too, but no number quickly found

673-2301.jpg

Protius, got more info at hand of 350z packs?

Theyre being sold in kits by companies niw as they support over 1000hp in 6 cylinder applications. They also have a skinny shaft and run internal ignitors. Id almost be willing to be they wont require any wiring mods whatsoever as they run the same coil plug as the s15.

Can't remember the part numbers, sorry.

The plug is different, but they run off a ground, trigger and 12v. S15 coils have 2 grounds from memory, I think for fault detection.

There are some parts on Nissan road racing about 370z/sentra coil packs. Might find some info there

S15 coils run three wires.

Yaris coils run four, fouth wire is for a signal back to the ECU to tell it that it actually fired or some shit. Not needed in our application.