Sign in to follow this  
Kieran O'Connor

Smoke from turbo/manifold area, 180sx sr20det

Car is a 1994 180sx black top sr20det with garret 2860rs turbo running external wastegate

So i just changed my manifold gasket, turbo/manifold gasket and dump pipe gasket and now i have smoke coming from the turbo manifold area?

One thing i forgot to put back on the car is the external wastegate boost pressure hose on the pressure side of the intercooler pipe but now when it idles for 20/30 seconds it starts smoking a little around the manifold area? the car hasn't been driven but only idled.

the smoke smell is only coming from the external wastegate pipe itself, i smell inside the exhaust manifold and dump pipe and nothing smells like it's burning, one thing i did which was probably the cause of it is i used copper high temp sealant around where the wastegate bolts too as i didn't have a metal gasket on me and also where the dump pipe connects to the front pipe. the sealant is rated to 60 - 370c

I have ordered new metal gaskets for my wastegate and dump but before i bolt that bitch back on Any info will be much appreciated!

Exhaust sealant is burning up, that area of the exhaust system will peak up to 900 degrees with ease.

never use sealant around there, either gasket or nothing.

As above. Most likely the sealant burning off. Will probably have the smell for a couple days