Sign in to follow this  
s15rocket

Nistune dual tune for flex e85/98 sensor set up for 180sx type x?

I have a 1997 180sx type x.

I want to run a dual tune 98 and e85 tune so I can fill up with whatever fuel I want when I want without having to adjust anything and have the car run perfectly with the help of the flex fuel sensor.

Does nistune offer this capability? The information online seems very vague about it and not clear.

I have been looking into a plugun Haltech or Link G4 (which one is better btw?) but they are extremely expensive.

Can anyone give me advice on the cheapest route in which to do this?

Thanks!

:)

You need Nistune with expansion board and flex sensor.

Latest expansion pack also supports boost control as well!

Can confirm flex setup works with nistune. Im currently running it in my s15 and have no problem switching from p98 to e85 fuels.

Frankly as far as bang for buck goes you can't beat nistune at the moment. Talk to the guys at PLMS to find your nearest installer/tuner and buy from them, have your car tuned and likely still get spare change compared to the price of a Haltech or other ECU. http://www.nistune.com/index.php/nistune-shop/flexfuel

And if you live in sydney, i highly recommend dose pipe (johnny) as a tuner. He has helped me alot with my build and has exceeded my expectations with the capability and numbers he made with the flex tune setup.

Frankly as far as bang for buck goes you can't beat nistune at the moment. Talk to the guys at PLMS to find your nearest installer/tuner and buy from them, have your car tuned and likely still get spare change compared to the price of a Haltech or other ECU. http://www.nistune.c...e-shop/flexfuel

Awesome! Thanks for the reply everyone.

Yeah they are amazing ecus but my car is just a street car. I will never use even half of the features a Haltech or Link G4 offer. Really happy that Nistune supports flex fuel for my ecu. Will definitely save a few bucks. Might even upgrade my t28 turbo with the spare change now! :D Also I want to keep the car stock looking as possible. Its getting harder and harder these days to own modified cars. Nistune is king of stealth followed by Link G4 plugin which fits in the old casing.

Edited by s15rocket

This is what is confusing me.

According to Nistune page type x 180x needs type 4 nistune board but type x is not listed here for the flex fuel option for board 4. Can anyone confirm if type x 180sx flex nistune works?

Type 4:

S14A SR20DET (80F0F JDM, 82F0F/82F1F EDM, 83F0F/83F1F ADM)

S15 SR20DET (91F0F/91F1F JDM, 93F0F/93F1F ADM)

ER34 RB25DET (AA50F, AA51F, AA56F)

WC34 RB25DET (0V81F, 0V80F 2WD/4WD)

P11 SR20DE (J20F, 3J40F, 3J80F, 3J90F with VCT output)

Y33 VQ30DET (42P0F, 65P0F)

A32 VQ30DE (40U0F, 40U1F, 50U1F - No flex fuel)

1995 S14 KA24DE (72F0F - No flex fuel)

1996/97 B14 SR20DE (1M86x, 1M87x - No flex fuel)

1995 P10 G20 SR20DE (0J20F, 0J60F, 0J61F - No flex fuel)

Type x is J4 ecu and its not listed on the nistune website. Looks like type x 96-98 owners are out of luck for nistune flex sensors :(C

Can I use a redtop or late blacktop (non type x) SR20det ecu on my 97 type x engine then get it nistuned? Changing some pins around on the ecu or harness?

a61b0cdc5c7cfb2e3b7bb204e5ad1eba.jpeg?v=1434612404

Edited by s15rocket

I have a J4 type x ecu and when I emailed the guys at nistune about updating the fimware on my board they said they could attach the flex fuel sensor wiring to my ecu While it was there. I just haven't had a chance to do it yet. I would just email nistune and ask they're usually super helpful and quick to respond to any questions

I planned to do it with my nistune before the latest feature pack and it was doable then. its definitely doable now.

97 Type X.

I planned to do it with my nistune before the latest feature pack and it was doable then. its definitely doable now.

97 Type X.

Yep received confirmation from Nistune this morning that the 96-98 type x 180sx (type 4 board) is good to go for the flex sensor/latest firmware update. For some weird reason its not listed on their website as being compatible but it is.

Thanks to everyone who replied!

Definitely cheaper than going link or haltech!

Cant believe I nearly forked out 2k for one their ecus!

Edited by s15rocket

97 Type X.

So you aren't running e85 on your setup yet why not?

I want to get the exact same turbo as you for my type x. the gtx2863r and run it without cams but on e85 and hopefully crack 250rwkw.

Can you tell me more about what your impressions of it are in terms of response? Also was it difficult to bolt onto your s13?

get head studs at the very least or you might pop a head gasket.. if budget permits, change to a metal head gasket such as the Tomei one and slap on ARP2000 studs.

I would always suggest getting slightly bigger cams on the SRs, as the stock ones are just too small and the motor noses over too early.

If you need slightly better prices, I have a tuner license which gives me access to cheaper nistune boards & also installation/bench testing by Matt at Nistune.

get head studs at the very least or you might pop a head gasket.. if budget permits, change to a metal head gasket such as the Tomei one and slap on ARP2000 studs.

I would always suggest getting slightly bigger cams on the SRs, as the stock ones are just too small and the motor noses over too early.

If you need slightly better prices, I have a tuner license which gives me access to cheaper nistune boards & also installation/bench testing by Matt at Nistune.

Well right now I've got a stock t28bb turbo bolted on and I intend just to use that for now on the e85 setup. Since I bought the car recently and it already had that on it seems a waste not to use it and have a little fun with it first. So its doubtful I will pop a head gasket on 17psi on e85 with a t28bb.

But isn't installnig a head gasket a BIG job? I know the head studs is easier because u just need to remove the cams. So I think putting in ARP head studs is a possiblity but taking off the head seems OTT. But I did read that s13 head gaskets arent as strong as s15 or s14.

I got poncams on my old s15 and the difference wasnt mind blowing. From memory I got a 27rwkw gain. I questioned the expense vs gain for getting cams at that point. Especially when I saw the s14 red dragon just running a 3071r on e85 with an unopened engine and cracking 280rwkw. Made me think ur better off spending money on getting a bigger turbo and keeping ur standard cams.

Edited by s15rocket

Not true, you will need cams.

It's not so much the "gain vs. $" ratio. Even with a massive turbo setup you'll see the torque drops dramatically after peak torque which in turns hurts your top end and your ability to make power as the motor's efficiency has dropped.

Longer duration cams increases the motor's efficiency however it sacrifices that down low. Best approach is higher lift and slightly longer duration cams.

At the end of the day a motor is just a massive air pump.