Sign in to follow this  
s15rocket

Garrett GTX2860R GEN II Vs Garrett GTX2867R GEN II

Been looking at getting one of these turbos before I get a tune. I figure its just cheaper and easier to do it all at once, rather than having to go back and get a retune.

I notice the GEN II turbos are out now and the GTX2863R is now obsolete and they don't make or sell it anymore. b

The GTX2860R has taken its place.

My questions.

What would be the performance difference between a regular garrett gt2860 (stock s15 turbo) and the new GTX2860R?

Is it worth spending over 2 grand on if I already have the GT2860 bolted on?t

Maybe better to get the GTX2867R?

Ultimately im chasing a responsive 240-270rwkw set up on e85 on a stock unopened engine.

Links to the turbos in question.

https://gcg.com.au/petrol-performance/performance-4/turbochargers-garrett-gtx-series/garrett-gtx2867r-gen-ii-t25-internal-wastegate-detail

https://gcg.com.au/petrol-performance/performance-4/turbochargers-garrett-gtx-series/garrett-gtx2860r-gen-ii-t25-internal-wastegate-detail

The GTX2860R is the GTX version of the disco (Gt2860RS). Its bigger than the Gt2860 thats why you cant usr a stock t289 rear housing if you buy a super core and need a disco or 2871 rear housing.

Ive had GTX2860R sitting around for ages and havent found anyone running one on a SR20. Just installed it and hoping to get the car running and tuned in a month or so. Hoping for disco response but bit more top end as looks like it should be the same lag but not pull to redline, so im hoping for a responsive 240 as I hated to the lag of my TD05 and mates 2871 that nothing really happened till 4K

I have a GTX2863 and its pretty good.

Heres Dyno. I have adjusted the boost controller so its hitting 20PSI and holding, so it gets 20 pound around 3800RPM now.

1WW8LgQ.jpg

Isn't the stock S15 is the GT2560?

Hmm I think you're right actually. Why is it called a t28bb then?

The GTX2860R is the GTX version of the disco (Gt2860RS). Its bigger than the Gt2860 thats why you cant usr a stock t289 rear housing if you buy a super core and need a disco or 2871 rear housing.

Ive had GTX2860R sitting around for ages and havent found anyone running one on a SR20. Just installed it and hoping to get the car running and tuned in a month or so. Hoping for disco response but bit more top end as looks like it should be the same lag but not pull to redline, so im hoping for a responsive 240 as I hated to the lag of my TD05 and mates 2871 that nothing really happened till 4K

Yes there is very little online about people running one of these on an SR. Especially the new GEN II ones. According to the specs they are good for 475hp (I will assume that's at the flywheel). Still very impressive (if you get response as well). My old s15 had a genuine greddy t518z with poncams and I had 200rwkw by 3800rpm. Kind of hard to beat that. But apparently the t518z is only good for 400hp. So this GTX2860r should perform better than that with more top end.

I have a GTX2863 and its pretty good.

Heres Dyno. I have adjusted the boost controller so its hitting 20PSI and holding, so it gets 20 pound around 3800RPM now.

1WW8LgQ.jpg

I think that's an excellent result especially with no cams or e85. With cams and e85 you will push to 280rwkw no problem.

I wonder how different the gen II ones are to this? Obviously you cant get this turbo anymore, but according to the garrett website they have this to say about the gen II models.

Id definitely consider this turbo if i can get it cheap.

Features:

GEN 2 AERODYNAMICS FEATURE INCREASED HORSEPOWER RANGE

IMPROVED PORTED SHROUD DESIGN FOR SURGE RESISTANCE

NEW FULLY MACHINED SPEED SENSOR PORT.

SOLD AS ASSEMBLY KITS (SUPER CORE + TURBINE HSG)

https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/turbochargers/gtx2860r-gen-ii

The new gen II gtx2860r pumps out 475hp compared to the gen I gtx2863r 425hp.

How much boost will u need to run in the efficiency range for the new gtx2860r. Does anyone know how to read these things?

GTX2860R_COMP.jpg?itok=yGFAEOps

GTX2860R_FLOW.jpg?itok=32iVN1Ul