Sign in to follow this  
mexr69

s15 6spd and brass button clutch?

Hi all just wondering if a brass button clutch is OK for the 6spd trans?

anyone running one ??? Thanks.

Is it a dedicated track car or does it get driven daily. If daily driver id recommend exedy hd organic or npc 10in organic depending on your power.

Is it a dedicated track car or does it get driven daily. If daily driver id recommend exedy hd organic or npc 10in organic depending on your power.

Will be a weekender mate. planning on 200-220 rwkw.

hope the brass button is OK for a weekender and doesnt KILL my 6spd.

exedy HD will be better suited for your power goals and a LOT more comfortable to drive

Don't do it to yourself man. Get an organic clutch built to your clamping specifications and actually enjoy driving the car. Mine runs a quality sprung 3-puck, so it's far more forgiving than a brass button, and even that can be a pain in the ass on the street with all the shuddering and hard engagement at low RPM. If I could do it all again, I'd just cough up the coin for an NPC organic, like everyone recommends.

Dont go a puck or brass button clutch on a s15 6spd if you want it to last

You will blow 3rd gear if you drive it hard as it too harsh on the box

Organic will be easier on the box

Don't do it to yourself man. Get an organic clutch built to your clamping specifications and actually enjoy driving the car. Mine runs a quality sprung 3-puck, so it's far more forgiving than a brass button, and even that can be a pain in the ass on the street with all the shuddering and hard engagement at low RPM. If I could do it all again, I'd just cough up the coin for an NPC organic, like everyone recommends.

bought a car with a brass button in it -,- i guess ill take it easy and get some coin together i msg NPC solid conversion flywheel and heavy duty 10” organic clutch Cost $1254inc gst + freight but may aswell go the s14 5spd... how reliable are the 6spds?

The 6 speeds seem pretty good if you aren't clutch kicking them with big power, or just being a tool. Most times they blow it's from a rough clutch, drifting or making huge power (220kw is not huge). I do however have a question; are you looking at the clutch that's attached to the 6 speed gearbox and assuming it's a brass button based on the lack of springs? It might be worth mentioning that the S15 6-speed dual-mass flywheel runs a clutch driven plate that's unsprung, as the flywheel acts as the engagment spring. Courtesy of Google Images:

307.jpg

If by brass button you meant a 3-5 puck driven plate, presumably unsprung for use with the stock dual-mass flywheel, then the previous advice stands. Shops sell them, but I wouldn't go for that myself.

The 6 speeds seem pretty good if you aren't clutch kicking them with big power, or just being a tool. Most times they blow it's from a rough clutch, drifting or making huge power (220kw is not huge). I do however have a question; are you looking at the clutch that's attached to the 6 speed gearbox and assuming it's a brass button based on the lack of springs? It might be worth mentioning that the S15 6-speed dual-mass flywheel runs a clutch driven plate that's unsprung, as the flywheel acts as the engagment spring. Courtesy of Google Images:

307.jpg

If by brass button you meant a 3-5 puck driven plate, presumably unsprung for use with the stock dual-mass flywheel, then the previous advice stands. Shops sell them, but I wouldn't go for that myself.

unsure mate, previous owner said that it has a brass button clutch and has all the paper work for it also. no idea to be honest with you pal.

thanks to that i guess ill just keep the brass button in and hope for the best lol, then do a s14 5spd conversion

6 sp is a sweet box. Mine was rock solid with NPC organic (I had 345rwkw without it breaking)

The ratios are great. Installing a brass button is molestation. And then installing a 5 sp is going backwards.

Arse clowns who complain about it breaking drive like idiots and should have auto only licences

Well said Tom.

I'll add what iv find online over the years....

Drifting and the constant hammering of the gearbox loading and unloading in say 3rd kills them. It's that pressure that hammers off the circlip on end of 4th.

Iv never experienced any problems with it in the order of 250rwkw.

And yeah I do agree, I love the ratios in it.

A nice organic clutch will hold power all day and be nicer on the driveline

6 sp is a sweet box. Mine was rock solid with NPC organic (I had 345rwkw without it breaking)

The ratios are great. Installing a brass button is molestation. And then installing a 5 sp is going backwards.

Arse clowns who complain about it breaking drive like idiots and should have auto only licences

Totally agree, great ratios for driving through the hills, it's only abuse that breaks gearboxes. You can still drive a car hard with power without blowing a gearbox, if you break an S15 6 speed you will probably eventually break the S14 gearbox anyway because of abuse. Brass button clutches are shit anyway there are better ways to go these days.