Sign in to follow this  
s15rocket

What engine oil is everyone putting in the performance SR20DET these days?

I just ordered 5L of synthetic Royal Purple 10W 40 and its cost me $109 wf??. Its really hard to find now as not many places stock it, so I had to order it in through autobarn.

I could of paid $92 for the same stuff on ebay so I basically paid an extra 20 bucks for nothing. But $109 is crazy expensive for 5L.

What is everyone else using these days?

Cheaper alternatives?

Penrite or Nulon 10-40.

Can get nulon 10w40 full synthetic for really cheap when big sales are on. I stock up when supercheap has 6L for $40 ea.

I have always used Royal Purple HPS 10w40 too.

Cheapest I've found it is Performance Lub (http://www.performancelub.com).

It sells for $16 a quart (0.946L) + postage.

Obviously the more you buy, the better the deal.

Email Harold for a quote, he is very helpful.

paid for royal purple once and engien hated it , became really tappety quickly

Been using nulon 15-50 for years as was one of the first E85 spec oils and ben using it in all my cars, for SR usually dropped it every 2nd track day as at like $50 somehting not dumb expensive so can to shorter change times

used motul x8100 turbolite for many years,

pulled the stock T28 off and it was mint. bugger all shaft play and in really good condition.

Royal Purple HPS 10w40 these days.

The reason your RP is costing so much is 2 reasons imo.

1. Its an imported product.

2. Its not a very popular product in Australia.

I normally say stick to your main Australian made oils, within your Top 5 bracket and you should be fine for Price and Quality of product, its pointless to overpay for the overseas oil for no real benefit other than some overseas hype where the company is more popular and they spend more on advertising.

My cars runs FUCHS Titan 10w60 and have for years now.

The reason your RP is costing so much is 2 reasons imo.

1. Its an imported product.

2. Its not a very popular product in Australia.

I normally say stick to your main Australian made oils, within your Top 5 bracket and you should be fine for Price and Quality of product, its pointless to overpay for the overseas oil for no real benefit other than some overseas hype where the company is more popular and they spend more on advertising.

My cars runs FUCHS Titan 10w60 and have for years now.

I've been using Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40 for a while in my low kms S15 for a while, no complaints. Not overly expensive around $80 for 5 litres. Before that used Elf synthetic, that was also ok. Just use a decent synthetic oil of the correct grade and you will be ok, no need to spend crazy money on exotic oils especially if it's a street driven car.

Edited by S15 sxytime

penrite full syn 10/40.

go 10 tenths if the cunt is thrashed off it's tits.

Reason? Technical proof without heresy?

The Penrite 10 Tenths range have a lot of Zinc. Read below why Zinc is a good thing for wear reduction.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/

https://www.thoughtco.com/debunking-the-motor-oil-additive-urban-legend-726162

Edited by stockblues15

Royal purple worked really well for me, particularly in my 4g63 the lifter noises went from unbearable to virtually silent. Not that much more $ for a street car changing every 6 months, but it's too exxy if you're doing track days every couple of months, lol. I'm switching to penrite 10/10ths and will see how that goes

Edited by Skepticism

I've been using Gulf Western SYN X semi synthetic 10w40 in the 180. I hear it's underrated. They put zero effort into marketing. It looks like crap from the label, and their premium stuff looks the same as their cheapest stuff, but they're big in the mining industry apparently. They're Aussie and meet all the standards, and they go on sale ridiculously cheap sometimes. To the point where I change my oil every 3000kms for a street car. Can't beat that. The main differences between the really expensive stuff and the cheaper stuff seems to me to be about how long it takes to break down. If you get some semi decent stuff and change it ridiculously often, then that main difference becomes nothing. Happy to hear what others think, but my car has been happy on it for some years now.