Sign in to follow this  
Orphan

Looking for a new job

Well as the title says i'm looking for a new job. I'm currently a uni student working at woolies part time as they give me hours. Getting very sick of the low pay and hard to get extra hours so I thought i'd start looking for a new job, does anyone have any recomendations of somewhere to apply or knows of a vacancy?

I'm 18, worked at woolies most of year 12 then at the end of the year I did laboring up in qld while living with my dad. Due to being at uni I would have to make sure shifts worked around that, thats about my only issue atm.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

hyatt is pretty short staffed, specially at the national museum of australia. so if u dont mind working till 1-2am im sure u could get a job there

hotels are pretty good man. I know of a few looking for night staff which is excellent pay and you do fk all.

Well as it is I work till a minimum of 11pm at woolies and i've done plenty of shifts till 1-2am so its not a big deal. Also my earliest uni class starts at 10:30am. Any chance either of you could point me in the direction of where to get in contact with the right people to submit my resume to? What kinda pay bluey? They recently changed me to perminant part time at woolies which means I get even less then I did when I was 17 working casual... *slaps woolies* Also i'm up for more skill requiring jobs if the employer is willing to train me.

when i was looking for a 2nd job man i just went onto seek.com and searched for shift work.

cool, found a few alright positions on seek. Will apply for some this week. Lol i found "ironing person" go out and do someones ironing for $15 an hr ~ 2 4 hour shifts a week. who pays $120 for someone to iron their clothes? Found a few laboring positoins for $17+ thats not to bad.

Yeah man. If you're into being a script monkey there are a few places that run IT help desks that like people who can work a few hours a week/work odd hours, Kaz and Aussie HQ were looking for a few a while back.

Yeah man. If you're into being a script monkey there are a few places that run IT help desks that like people who can work a few hours a week/work odd hours, Kaz and Aussie HQ were looking for a few a while back.

That's a great idea if you can get into it - much better working conditions than labouring or hospitality, and it will open up doors for when you graduate.

On the other hand some people love the energy of hospitality and things.

It's a good time to be looking for work, there's plenty going around, so just start applying and something will stick

I use to be a bit of a nerd and know my way around computers etc but that was ages ago and I never really learnt much else so unless they wanna train me :P I think i will have to look at another position. How much does that pay anyways?

help desk is usually $20ph+

i was on $36ph when i left :)

Yea, these days $20-$25 is about right for help desk I think

Dude what are you doing at uni?

Try and get into that field part-time. They are more likely to take you (if your study helps them too).

Not a bad career move either.

Take my advice.

Work Full-time and study Full/part time. If what you are studing is related to your full-time work position, course fees and text books can be claimed on tax. Plus you'll have a full-time student card, so cheaper stuff elsewhere.

Also employers prefer experience in the field over the education.

I'm in architecture atm but looking to change once i figure out what I actually want to do. How hard would it be to train up to being a call help desk person?

If i was going to stay in architecture I would definately be applying at some architect firms but yeah, at this point im more looking for money to live on then experience in whatever field I hope to go into (which I don't know).

I've been checking around on seek and found a few i'm thinking of applying for. Will get into that tomorrow as I have the whole day off uni. If anyone works somewhere that has a vacancy feel free to tell me. For most of the term I can easy work 25-35hrs whilst keeping uni under wraps, it is only when the big assignments and exams come in that I can't work so many hours, so even a second job to make up another 10-20hrs on top of woolies would be great.

Usually you're just reading from a script, but having a bit of experience in troubleshooting issues will help you land a job like that. Didn't get yer Cert II in College did ya?

i know where i work if i work everyday for 2 weeks i can make around 1500-2000

What is a cert II? I came to canberra half way through year 11 dunno if that would have anything to do with it but I didn't do programming etc in college either.

And cool wanna give me your money? :P

i know where i work if i work everyday for 2 weeks i can make around 1500-2000

Including weekends? That's good money - what sort of stuff are you doing?

i work in a cafe and banquets, yer including weekends. some shifts can get up to 14-15 hrs though

Take my advice.

Work Full-time and study Full/part time. If what you are studing is related to your full-time work position, course fees and text books can be claimed on tax. Plus you'll have a full-time student card, so cheaper stuff elsewhere.

Also employers prefer experience in the field over the education.

I'd advise doing uni part time if you are working full-time as if you are doing something other than a mickey mouse degree I think working fulltime and doing uni fulltime you would almost be destined to fail uni miserably.

Have you tried call centres? the 24 hour ones have pretty flexible work hours

Gran San how do I find call centres? Can't say i've really had to look for a job before.