Sign in to follow this  
tai_180sx

The 4.5L V8 S13 Project has started

Ok, well as some of you know i am starting a new project for my girlfriend. On monday i drove to sydney to pick up an s13 and also a VH45 nissan 4.5L V8 engine package.

I found a nice red s13 with a CA18DE motor and auto box. it is running and actually run's well, although the car itself has hit a gutter and smashed 2 wheels, the front guard, front indicator, rear guard, broken rear lower control arm and broken tail light, all on the left hand side.

i paid $2200 for the car as a rolling shell, it has no rego and has been written off because it cost too much to fix.

with the car i also received everything i need to fix it, so a complete rear hub, control arm, driveshaft setup plus front guard and lights.

Now the plan is to remove the CA18DE and replace it with a rather larger 4.5L VH45 V8. as this car is for my girlfriend i am going to keep it auto, so its great that the s13 also happens to be auto (which means i don't need to convert from and manual to auto). the plan is to fix the car up and then get it registered with teh CA18DE motor in it, once thats done i will start the conversion.

Once i have it all done i am going to drive it around with the N/A v8 motor in it, then if i have room i will be making up some custom manifolds and twin turboing it....

now as its my girlfriends car i'm happy to keep it auto (i reckon it'll be great fun to drive with an auto anyway) and i am keeping it on a very tight budget. so it'll be running the standard computer and the car won't be much to look at, but it will run and be driveable. once she saves up some more money then obviously it'll be the twin turbo conversion, but also re-spray the car, wheels, suspension, maybe subtle bodykit.

up to the point where its essentially standard and on the road, i hope to spend $6,000..... so we'll see how we go sticking to the budget.

anyway here's some pics of the starting point.

the v8 doesn't fit under the bonnet so a hole will have to be cut and a bonnet scoop fitted. i happed to have a torana A9X bonnet scoop at work so i thought i'd bring it home with me and see what it looks like.... disgusting.. i think i'll go with a BA XR8 hump.

post-2246-1186492183_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492199_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492216_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492241_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492272_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492288_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492318_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492331_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492355_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492368_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186492404_thumb.jpg

on another note, does anyone have standard s13 wheels they wanna get rid of?

i thought i had some 17's here that would fit, but they are multi 5 stud, not 4 stud... down the track i will be converting this to 5 stud with a GTR brake upgrade, but for now i just need some stockies.

i already have the car up on stands, have the guards removed, all the wheels off it and half the rear suspension out of it, ready to bolt the new stuff in.

i have a pair of CA stockies painted black atm....pm me if u want them unless u wanna swap for the multi stud 17's + cash your way as im planning to do 5 stud soons....let me knows.....

cheers daniel

f**k yeh :D:o

lol at the scoop

how much more height do you need in the engine bay?

maybe spacers between the crossmember and the chassis rails rather than a scoop.

lol@ the scoop.

paint it all black Tai with that scoop, would look... confusing? :lol:

The scoop is tough :D Too bad it doesn't suit the car at all.

Have you looked into what other v8 Silvia's do for space?

I've got a pair of CA stockies you can borrow until you get your stuff sorted, i'll be at paintball on saturday, or if you need them eariler then the weekend PM me :)

na, i probably wont need them for a week or so. if i remember at paintball i'll talk to you about it then. i'll at least need 2 wheels with tires just to get it registered, but i'll need to buy a new set of wheels anyway.

lowering the cross member is a great idea, i wonder how much it would throw out the rest of the suspension and if you have adjustable camber/caster you can re-align it all...

there is plenty of room in the engien bay, you will just need to cut the bonnet slightly. the problem with the motor is the standard inlet manifold sits really high, so it will hit the bonnet.

let me know if u need anything for it man, hubs, studs etc etc

i owe u lol

put the scoop on now !!!!! funny as hell, CA18DE with Rana scoop... "i see you excel with WRX scoop, and raise you" !!! :lol:

u wont do it... pussy :P

how much does it not clear the bonnet by?

Perhaps you could just space the bonnet out until you find the kind of bump that you want to put on permanently?

The wheels wouldnt pass, been to a few kahnas with them :P Can hold the car up though haha.

Does anybody make Cams etc for the VH?

not sure if anyone makes cam's for them, i'd say there would have to be. if not i can get them custom made at crowe cams.

I remember reading somewhere that someone's stuck a VQ42 in an S13, sucker would only fit with a bit of modification to the bonnet, ie, slicing the shit out of it. It only produced 200~atw, too.

God I'd love to see this thing if you work around the size issues and slap on two turbos, man. Rawrrr. Sex.

I rekon it will be making a lot more torque than KW though, which is better anyways.

Horse power wins arguements, torque wins races.

Guys for those who dont know Tai, hes the guy to make this car work with a 4.5l v8 in a s13 and prob with 1 big or 2 turbos on the side...It will work Tai's a champ and doing this shit and as a person...Good luck mate

^^^^^ Tai, i knew u had a b/f

if tash doesnt like it, tell her she can catch a bus :P

hahah, yeah kane's my b/f....sshhh, don't tell tash.

Na, kane's a good bloke, he's is/was the local bottle shop bitch..... you need to be good mates with him to get good deals :P

greg, you could always drive her around for me, just shoot her in the leg at paintball so she can't drive, then she can't care.

if anyone can offer me some 4 stud wheels with tires for a week so i can get it registered i would much appreciate.

after paintball i'm gonna focus on getting this thing finished. all day sunday i'm gonna get all the new suspension done and get it driveable. i'll get it registered in NSW next week and then once thats done i can look at pulling the CA out and putting the VH in.

i need to get it registered first so that i don't have to get it engineered before i am ever able to register it, obviously this will become a problem if i ever get defected, but i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

i also need to get it registered first as the car was a write off due to cost to fix it, so to be able to get it registered i have to have all the damage fixed and have vin numbers off all the parts to ensure i'm not stealing/stripping cars to fix this car... so i'd prefer to have the right motor in it when i get it all checked out.

so anyway i only have 5 stud wheels lying around my place, so if anyone can help out with some 4 stud stockies... i'd probably prefer to buy a set if anyone has some available, as i am going to need some wheels to drive this thing around one once its done.

i am planning on a 5 stud conversion with GTR brake upgrade so i don't want to go out and buy expensive wheels when i'm gonna be buying new ones in the next few months anyway.

If you have a date and time that you gotta take it in, we can put my car up on bricks. I don't drive it that often. I believe my wheels are legal without engineering cert, correct me if i'm wrong, 225/35R18. Plate inside the driver side door states that the car (S13) has been tested and complied with rim size 225/50R16 so tyre width doesn't exceed the guards and maximum width for an 1100kg car and the 18's are only 2 inches bigger than (standard?)

My wheels have excellent tred and no hidden camber wear.

actually now that i think about it, i might hit up leg_it, he has lost his licence and he wants me to go around and work on his car with him, so maybe i can borrow his wheels for a couple days, if not i'll definately hit you up.

actually now that i think about it, i might hit up leg_it, he has lost his licence and he wants me to go around and work on his car with him, so maybe i can borrow his wheels for a couple days, if not i'll definately hit you up.

i'd refuse to work on it until he gets rid of those rims......

a few updated pictures.

new front guard, new rear tail light and garnish, and i have replaced all the rear left suspension components and am now able to fit wheels to it.

as the other post states, i now need 2x wheels so i can take it down to the panel beaters and see what i can do about the rear guards and i'll also need a wheel alignment as i have removed all the rear control arms and trailing arm so they will all be a fair way out.

post-2246-1186898090_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186898099_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186898106_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186898113_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1186898118_thumb.jpg

i've actually bought some 4 stud wheels now, they should be here tuesday so i won't need to borrow any now.

thanks heaps to the guy's who offered.

i've actually bought some 4 stud wheels now, they should be here tuesday so i won't need to borrow any now.

thanks heaps to the guy's who offered.

Ahh, was just about to say I might have found some :-)