Sign in to follow this  
tai_180sx

The 4.5L V8 S13 Project has started

should be good whenyou finish it

Fixed :rolleyes:

should be good if you finish it

hahahah whats that meant to mean, just because my 180's still in coffs.

IF is still more appropriate

gee thanks james, maybe with your help i might actually finish this one.... or maybe i might finish it and then decide i want a different motor, and then finish that one and change my mind again :P

gee thanks james, maybe with your help i might actually finish this one.... or maybe i might finish it and then decide i want a different motor, and then finish that one and change my mind again :P

lulz, sounds familiar :P

Ok a few updated pictures, The CA is now out. over the weekend i'm gonna trial fit the VH, take a few photo's and then see how we go.

anyone want a CA18DE auto??

post-2246-1192192518_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1192192552_thumb.jpg

Hey PM sent regarding Motor

********DIBS******

a few updated pics. The V8 is now sitting in the engine bay. i have done the crossmember yet, so the engine is just sitting there, it isn't actually mounted. i put it in so that i can measure what needs to be done to the cross member to mount the engine...

as you can see its a tight fit... i can honestly say that i'm not even sure if i'm gonna keep doin this conversion... there is a hell of a lot of work that needs to be done. the only way i could physically fit the motor in is if i removed everything off the motor, so there is no p/s a/c or alt fitted to the motor, there is also no starter motor because it fouled on the steering shaft.

so to allow me to fit this motor i have to remove the air con compressor and use that space to make a custom mount for the starter motor so that it can fit a lot closer to the block, i'm gonna have to try and fit the power steering pump, but it may look like i'm gonna have to get a remote electrical power steering pump, and i'm also going to have to custom make my own remote oil filter adapter as the oil filter sits right up against the chassis rail.

i may not be able to use the auto box, i might have to go to a manual box, just so that i can use a 300zx starter motor that bolts onto the gearbox rather than the side of the motor, and obviously all the exhaust will have to be custom made.... rather than making a standard exhaust on each side (and try and run the driver side past the steering shaft) it would actually be much easier to make a manifold that runs to the front of the motor to mount the turbo and just go straight to the turbo conversion... but i don't know if i could be bothered just yet. i want to get it running in N/A form before i do too much to it.

i don't have a gearbox mounted on the engine yet and the engine is only just sitting there... the engine is a little tilted, hopefuly once i mount the engine and the gearbox the engine will sit a lot flatter and it looks like it will go pretty close to fitting under the bonnet. i know it won't , but it will be pretty close.

post-2246-1192330148_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1192330259_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1192330689_thumb.jpg

you'd better get cracking then!!

or rethink the engine choice? is there a nissan N/A 8 that would be easier?

Hey Tai, your the one from auto one phillip right? I remember your dp.

Anyways cool converstion. Does seem a bit fiddly and the plenum is grose and spider looking haha. I know a guy putting a 1UZ-FE (lexus/toyota v8) into a s13. Fits easily as its not a huge engine has all the mounts etc made up, test fitted the engine, he is just working on best manifolds for the turbos. Got an auto tranny in it, not sure what he used probably a standard lexus box with a shift kit. Looking forward to seeing your project if you go through with it.

EDIT: deadcat got a bigger piccy of your car? looks alright.

Hey Tai, your the one from auto one phillip right? I remember your dp.

steering clear of that one, Greg?

Tai,

That's fkn ridiculous and I can understand why you'd be apprehensive about continuing the project...

... but I think it's fkn sick as. SICK AS!

here is a few more updated pics.... these pictures have the transmission fitted and the motor and box are pretty much sitting in their final resting place. i haven't acutally bolted them down yet because i haven't made the plates to fit them. i am almost 100% sure that if the motor stay's sitting where it is now the standard bonnet will actually fit over the top of hte motor (with some minor mods)...

i was talking to greg today about doing the 1UZ conversion.... and i think that if i was going to do it again, then yeah i'd probably go for the toyota v8 just because it would be easier, but now that i'm half way through doing the nissan v8 i'm not gonna stop it now, especially to go to a motor with less power, less torque and less capacity....

after some serious brain-storming and a few trials greg and i were able to work out a few ways to get around some of the problems..

no.1 - there will be no air conditioning :ph34r: (sorry tash)

no.2 - we have used to air con bracket to make a custom bracket for hte alternator so it now fits perfectly.

no.3 - i will have to cut up the standard oil filter bracket and tap a couple threads and then run some hoses to it and re-locate the oil filter

no.4 - i will have to run an external electric power steering pump (or have no power steering).

no.5 - the stupid starter motor fouls on the steering shaft..... i can't work out a way of fixing this problem.. its actually the capacitor type thing that sits on the side of the starter motor that fouls, so i'm gonna try and find another starter motor that has that capacitor in a different spot. failing that i'll have to see if i can modify my starter motor.... or if none of that works, i'll have to do a manual conversion and use a VG30DET gearbox that has a starter motor mounted in the side of the gearbox rather than in the engine.

i don't really want to do a manual conversion because of a number of reasons, no.1 is cost. its my missus's car and i want to keep it as a daily driver for her, i think auto is gonna be much better (and quicker). plus as soon as i do a manual conversion i'm gonna have do do the normal pedal box and crap, but also i am gonna have trouble fitting a master cylinder on the firewall as i have plans for the space at the back of the motor...

anyway i'll update this next weekend or during the week when i do more work to it...

post-2246-1192364168_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1192364194_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1192364227_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1192364254_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1192364284_thumb.jpg

Holly Shit Tai!

Besides everything going on here and all the other problems, my biggest interest is how you're going to negotiate that starter motor..

basolenoidao5.jpg

The only easy thing I can think of, is making up a simple support bracket and rotating it until it clears the steering rack.

No idea how difficult that would be though and even if it would work.

Having experience with replacing my own starter motor on the SR was fun enough! -_-

EDIT: Ah crap, just realised the pinion housing would foul that idea.

yeah i think the radical approach would be to cut the whole starter motor mounting points away from the engine and to move it up an inch... but thats crazy talk...

hmm i wonder if it is possible to unbolt the steering rack and move it over to the right about a couple cm's and then use the adjustability in the rack ends and tie rod ends to straighten up the wheels again?

Not really, as you have set places in the steering rack for the rubber mounts to sit, espicially in the drivers side...

Its gott be a 90° V8 and not a 45°....

someone has to have a decnet idea about either using a different starter motor or modifying this one??

Got any pictures of the starter motor and where it mounts to on the engine/gear box?

Does it actually have the pinion housing? ..The SR's don't.

Probably not much help, but there is a thread where someone has done a VH45 to Z32 gearbox adaptor plate - http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/170932

yeah the adapter plates are actually easy to find. i just don't have the funds right now to do a manual conversion otherwise i'd would do it. but it'll cost me at least $2500 to do a manual box.

At least if you do a manual conversion you can push start it and not bother with the starter motor. Not good as a daily driver but not too bad it everywhere you go is on a hill. I had a car with no starter motor for 8 months and used it as my daily - just have to be very careful chosing parking sopts people couldn't park in front of you.

lol @ the jack under the oil sump in the pics ...silly