Hi to all,

New to this forum & seeking members thoughts on the best/easiest way to replace timing chain for the sr20 s15 silvia. last time i changed a timing belt was on my VL turbo which was fairly easy. Looking at the sr20, its either lift the engine to remove the oil pan & front cover OR unlink/link the old roller chain with new & spin carefully. Is there any other methods/tips, write-ups or suggestions?

Tony.

Nah should be same principal as vl

may i ask why your changing it?

if its because of a rattle id be looking into replacing vct first!

yeah i got the rattle at startup. only a little bit until it warms up. so i have a new VCT & solenoid. The gasket is leaking at the tensioner as well. so i have a new gasket for that as well. the engine itself is in very good condition but done heaps of km's as a daily drver so i thought, why not change the chain as well? so ordered a naprec strengthened chain & checked out the workshop manual & to my horror, discovered that the oil pan & cross beam needs to come out. not to also mention all the other shits & bits like alternator, power steering, a/c, etc. it's a much bigger job than the vl for sure. i have seen merc roller press kits on ebay but they cost around $350-500 & not sure i they will be compatible for the sr20. the story is i've treated the engine very good but after 15years, i decided to upgrade turbo with a gtx (now installed), upgrade brakes , clutch, electronics, intake, exhaust & repaint underside which now brings me to the engine. i'm not planning on removing engine or the head (for now anyway).

20180506_085934.jpg