Sign in to follow this  
XXXIII TAXI

Musicians on NS {fast becoming the Muso VS Dj's thread}

I played the drums about 10 years but stopped a few years ago cause I wasn't going anywhere with it really. Have a 5 piece green maple yamaha lying around still. Still tuning it though....

Drummer for about 3 years. Play in a band, recording ep as we speak. Our live stuff is much better than our recordings I think. http://www.myspace.com/theelvischristband

ur band sounds really dirty britain in orientation, almost late 70's.. kewl as..

who is producing your e/p??

christian

Well, we've been recording at a guys place here in Hobart, The Winter Palace. http://www.anthonyrochester.com/studio.htm

We haven't got anyone to produce it really, but we have an 8-9 track EP almost finished and we are hoping to get Brian Ritchie (The Violent Femmes) to master it and add his special touch as he is a friend of the band ;) EP should be done in about 2 weeks before Falls Festival submissions close :)

l_502ff3e4dcfe2c5322a5892986080beb.jpg

My fav song is totally Rave Au Go Go

hmmm...played the drums for about 6 years but sadly haven't picked up the sticks in two years. Played everything from rock, pop and metal to jazz fusion and big band. Had regualar gigs in Melbourne with one of my bands until our bass player got married and moved interstate...

About to get back into it in a big way....new kit on the way next week :D

Guitars since i was 7, now 22.

Anyone in melb northern subs want lessons? $10 an hour =P PM me.

but... i make u sing too (serious!)

74 Gibson Les Paul Artisan

PRS CE22

Fender Strat USA

74 Ibanez Les Paul

Maton EM225 acoustic

White, battered, Gibson les paul w/ EMG 81 + 85

+ about 5 more..but i cant remember what they are straight off.. havnt looked at em for a while

BOSS GT6

Marshall AVT100 (piece of crap!)

Been in and out of bands, but i get too bored.

I play for myself, for friends, special occasions, special requests etc. (from friends)

Shred, finger picking, economy picking, finger style, strumming, etc etc etc

Of late, attention has shifted to the car... cos ..that just SOOOOOO MUCH MORE REWARDING!

..and chicks dont seem to dig the guitar these days...unless they are re-educated ^^ (house music...WTF!!)

(RnB and ROCK... black ppl and crazy white mofos know where its at!)

Shred song of the moment that i am learning, Jerry C - Cannon Rock (youtube it!)

Guitars since i was 7, now 22.

Anyone in melb northern subs want lessons? $10 an hour =P PM me.

but... i make u sing too (serious!)

74 Gibson Les Paul Artisan

PRS CE22

Fender Strat USA

74 Ibanez Les Paul

Maton EM225 acoustic

White, battered, Gibson les paul w/ EMG 81 + 85

+ about 5 more..but i cant remember what they are straight off.. havnt looked at em for a while

BOSS GT6

Marshall AVT100 (piece of crap!)

Been in and out of bands, but i get too bored.

I play for myself, for friends, special occasions, special requests etc. (from friends)

Shred, finger picking, economy picking, finger style, strumming, etc etc etc

Of late, attention has shifted to the car... cos ..that just SOOOOOO MUCH MORE REWARDING!

..and chicks dont seem to dig the guitar these days...unless they are re-educated ^^ (house music...WTF!!)

(RnB and ROCK... black ppl and crazy white mofos know where its at!)

Shred song of the moment that i am learning, Jerry C - Cannon Rock (youtube it!)

buy a valve amp!!

and start listening to nuno bettencourt!!

Edited by XXXII TAXI

hehehe yea need to sell a guitar b4 i can get nice valve amp.

...or sell a turbo... but thats like sellin my arm.

nuno! fergie - big girls dont cry. first 40 seconds feels like more than words... if u use ur imagination

Been playing since the start of High School. Scarily thats nearly 12 years ago now <_>

Played drums for music at school all the way through and got 20/20 in year 12!!!! Not sure on the exact facts but apparently first drummer from my highschool or maybe in SA to get perfect 20/20! WOOT WOOT! :blush:

Now playing in a coverband and trying to get into the cover scene in Adelaide. Also playing in a folk/rock band. About to have a demo ready so I will advertise that through here :rolleyes: And we are in the position to get it hand delivered to Michael Gudinski!!!! :woot: About to join a 3rd band based around blues/jazz/funk.

Planning on doing cert 3/4 at Tafe next year and then study Jazz at the Conservatorium in 2009.

The aim is to be a fulltime muso. Working in the pits for musicals, session musician, and if my original band takes off.... STARDOM! :lol:

Just love playing to an audience. Nothing can replace the feeling that overcomes you while playing. Sunk Loto got it right with their song "Vinegar Stroke"!!!

been playing the drums for 1 and a bit years now, just a 5 piece drum kit plus

pair of bongos

cowbell

double kick pedals

and 2 extra toms

in a band which needs a singer and bassist

my influences are

Iron maiden

Linkin park

All that Remains

Machine head

3 days grace

CREED

but now trying different styles like jazz which i hear is the hardest form of drumming

I was into makin music alot more when I was younger, all through school I was playin guitar or bass for the school band but that was pretty minor biggest show was 800 people - and it was parents so they HAVE to clap and cheer and pretend to care.

Had 4 electric guitars, best being a Fender Telecaster Custom Shop with floyd rose system and duel humbuckers and no scratch plate. Had 3 bass guitars - my first one was the same size as a normal guitar cause i was too short to use a full sized bass. I traded my fender for a Roland MC-303 and some other stuff, and started making techno which got shit boring after about 2 years, so i sold off the 303 and started makin beats with a computer, can also use decks *ok* but not good.

The last bit of music i made was some hip hop with a mate and I did some rapping but dont have the time to write atm, oh and i made a song with fruity loops at a party with subliminal messages whispering... almost got the shit kicked out of me when people woke up and went crazy hahhaha.

Been doing music since about the age of 13, so 10 or so years now, Started in the high school bands (vocalist/guitarist) did the heavy metal thing, covered RATM, Korn, Manson, Metallica, Nirvana etc, did a few originals too. Came 2nd in Battle of the Bands back in 98 i think? Sometime around there anyway.

Went from there to more studio production, setup a small studio and had a band for a couple of years mainly using drum machines and synthesizers, did some rock and electro, made 2 EP's in that time, then went solo for a while made another short EP, electro/hiphop influence from Resin Dogs and very very early BEP. Also did alot of electro stuff mostly influenced by Chemical Brothers back in the day.

And basically alot of other various tracks and songs here and there, working with friends and people i've met helping with production or recording with them. Too many times to remember.

Back into again lately, got myself some decks now, full size Synth, loads of drum synth and machine software, can use Fruity Loops like a pro now :P (6 years of practice on that), currently playing with some new Hyphy style music now, my mate is a club DJ at Space in the city, Does Chocolate City, Cherry@Space and loads of others, so if we can make this current track pump you'll hear it in the clubs soon :) (Free Publicity FTW!!!!!)

but now trying different styles like jazz which i hear is the hardest form of drumming

Hardest form because it isn't proper drumming, you make up whatever time you want <_>

Ahhhhh the poor drummer always cops the shit ey...

How do you tell if the stage is level?

The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?

"Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?

What do you call a drummer that breaks up with his girlfriend?

Homeless.

How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better Neil Peart coulda done it.

How many drummers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they have a machine to do that now.

What do you call a drummer with half a brain?

Gifted.

What's the best way to confuse a drummer?

Put a sheet of music in front of him

What do you call 10 guys in a drum circle?

A dope ring.

What has three legs and an asshole?

A drum stool.

Hardest form because it isn't proper drumming, you make up whatever time you want <_>

Dumbest thing I have ever EVER heard.....

Sid - oh those drummer jokes.... <_ ... src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png" alt=":lol:">

Dumbest thing I have ever EVER heard.....

Sid - oh those drummer jokes.... <_ ... src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png" alt=":lol:">

Sheepy: JD1.jpg

Nunzy: drummer%20boy.JPG

I have a BMus (Jazz Perf) from the University of Auckland. I'm a drummer. I teach itinerant weekdays and play anywhere from 1-3 gigs a week with the four groups i work with. I guess you could say it's my j o b.

Nothing super noteworthy yet, check my band's myspace if you're curious (guitar-rock stylings) - full length album due out in February 08.

http://www.myspace.com/crashpolitic

Oh, and Nunzy - yeah, jazz is technically and conceptually quite difficult or advanced. But other styles like, for example, metal can be as equally challenging and far more physical to play.

Edited by sneaky fujita

LOL ye true!

I have a BMus (Jazz Perf) from the University of Auckland. I'm a drummer. I teach itinerant weekdays and play anywhere from 1-3 gigs a week with the four groups i work with. I guess you could say it's my j o b.

Nothing super noteworthy yet, check my band's myspace if you're curious (guitar-rock stylings) - full length album due out in February 08.

http://www.myspace.com/crashpolitic

Oh, and Nunzy - yeah, jazz is technically and conceptually quite difficult or advanced. But other styles like, for example, metal can be as equally challenging and far more physical to play.

ohhhh ok fair enuf thanks for the explanation

This Music section is awesome XXXII TAXI! Combining my first love of Music with my very close second love of cars and drifting = winnar :)

I've been singing since the age of 5, and have been playing the Saxophone since the age of 9 (almost 12 years now). Playing the Sax was a dream come true for me, I love it!

I've also been writing lyrics for a while now. I entered an International songwriting competition called 'Song of the Year', which is supported by VH-1's 'Save the Music Campaign', and took out first place for June 2007, therefore putting me in the running for the 'Song of the Year' title.

My cousin plays lead guitar for a Brissy rock band up here called Johnny-Kick - check them out at http://www.myspace.com/johnnykickmusic - and has been helping me out with music, but I see myself as more of a lyricist.

My motto - "Music is the language of the soul"

Ehhhh dont mention it..

Nice to see my initiative appreciated.. and also nice to see girl muso's.. something hot about a girl playing the saxophone, i just cant figure out exactly what it is ;)

:whistle:

Schmenz: Good thing i gave up playing the saxophone then!

On another note i have played a few instruments in my time, started of on playing the Tenor sax at school, but it was too big and a hassle for me, so i decided to play the clarinet for a bit.. it definitely wasn't the instrument for me thats for sure. I then progressed on to playing the Alto sax.

I have since given up playing any music at the moment, but would love to get back into playing the alto sax again, so much fun.

Jenna

This Music section is awesome XXXII TAXI! Combining my first love of Music with my very close second love of cars and drifting = winnar :)

I've been singing since the age of 5, and have been playing the Saxophone since the age of 9 (almost 12 years now). Playing the Sax was a dream come true for me, I love it!

I've also been writing lyrics for a while now. I entered an International songwriting competition called 'Song of the Year', which is supported by VH-1's 'Save the Music Campaign', and took out first place for June 2007, therefore putting me in the running for the 'Song of the Year' title.

My cousin plays lead guitar for a Brissy rock band up here called Johnny-Kick - check them out at http://www.myspace.com/johnnykickmusic - and has been helping me out with music, but I see myself as more of a lyricist.

My motto - "Music is the language of the soul"

Ehhhh dont mention it..

Nice to see my initiative appreciated.. and also nice to see girl muso's.. something hot about a girl playing the saxophone, i just cant figure out exactly what it is ;)

:whistle:

Schmenz: Good thing i gave up playing the saxophone then!

On another note i have played a few instruments in my time, started of on playing the Tenor sax at school, but it was too big and a hassle for me, so i decided to play the clarinet for a bit.. it definitely wasn't the instrument for me thats for sure. I then progressed on to playing the Alto sax.

I have since given up playing any music at the moment, but would love to get back into playing the alto sax again, so much fun.

Jenna

:lol:

Alto saxophone for the win! (yep, I play the Alto). Would love to give the Soprano Sax a go - it sounds so soothing and sweet. But Alto Sax is definately where it's at.

Oh i forgot to add that i can play the recorder too :P :P :P

ever so talented!

Jenna

Hardest form because it isn't proper drumming, you make up whatever time you want

Please tell me you mean the changes in time signatures!!! otherwise go back to your theory.

Me, I've been playing drums for approx 2 years, did have lessons for 3 years back from grade 4 to grade 6, but after not getting a kit I gave it up.

I had the passion to be a drummer from a young age, and even after trying it and giving up (mainly coz i couldn't get a kit), I still had the fire burning in me, so only 2 years ago I went out and brought a kit. Been self teaching myself...

My kit is a low end Tama 5 piece (swingstar), with a full set of Remo pinstripe heads, except the snare, which has a powerstroke head (double pin stripe). I got myself Tama Iron Cobra powerglide double pedals, and play zildjian zbt's all around, incl 2 18' crashes, 14' hats, 10' splash, 20' ride, and a 16' china (zxt).

not a musician but i hang out with musicians....so im told....

got my first drum kit for my 8th bday. worked my ass off to get my monster double kick setup when i was 15. 2 bass drums 6 toms snare hi hat and fixed hihat 2 splashes 4 crashes and ride all zildjians and all paid for out of my own pocket. setup now is different again. played so many types of music orchestra through to death metal. now settled back for a more mellow 'mainstream' project with some guys i went to school with. recording at the moment. got some demo's up on my space but the stuff being recorded now is way better. new stuff should be up in a few weeks.

www.myspace.com/sebastiansmark

sometimes i wonder what stage my car would be at if i hadnt spent so much on drums...other times i wonder how sweet my kit would be if it wasnt for cars lol...

I've been playing drums for almost 8 years now. I've been on 2 albums and I've been in several bands/percussion ensembles. I was also in a band with Chris Sebastian before his brother was in Aussie Idol.

At the moment I'm not in a band as I'm building up a custom acrylic kit and focusing on studying for exams, etc. All hardware on the kit is and will be from the current pearl hardware range. The twin boom stands are seriously the best stand out there at the moment in my opinion as it allows for so many different setups.

Cymbals are as follows.

6" Zildjian Zilbel

14" Zildjian Z custom hi hats

17" Zildjian A custom crash

18" Zildjian Z custom rock crash

19" Zildjian Z custom medium crash

20" Zildjian A china (low)

20" Stagg Medium ride

I should have the following cymbals by the end of the year.

8" Zildjian A custom splash

9" Zildjian Oriental trash splash

14" Zildjian Oriental china trash

18" Zildjian Oriental china trash

and another bell cymbal with a faster decay.

Im personally a HUGE fan of any type of scaffold stand/rack stand on drum kits! Looks the biz!

Oh, and just to clarify. NO DJ'S AREN'T MUSICIANS! lol. While I have the up most respect for them, and I'm a huge dance fan, its not 'creating' anything. Its skillfully replaying tracks in a matched beat format.

Im personally a HUGE fan of any type of scaffold stand/rack stand on drum kits! Looks the biz!

Oh, and just to clarify. NO DJ'S AREN'T MUSICIANS! lol. While I have the up most respect for them, and I'm a huge dance fan, its not 'creating' anything. Its skillfully replaying tracks in a matched beat format.

Well put...

Dj's = Skilled and Talented

Musicians = Artistic

Well put...

Dj's = Skilled and Talented

Musicians = Artistic

3rded!

Although I am now moving away from the "tower drumkit" to the simple yet effective drumkit!

You dont need a 900 piece drum kit to be an excellent drummer! There is more challenge using a 4 piece!!!

I used to have an older version of the pearl rack but I went through a phase of punk and thus changed my setup which didn't require a rack so I sold it. Now that I'm back into the rock/metal I want one again. :( The pearl racks are great! I could stand on one of the cross bars and there would be no flex...can't wait to try out their new curved bar which should allow better placement than their straight bar version.

Masters series lugs are expensive. :(