Sign in to follow this  
odie

GT3071R with no engine mangement?

I've had the stock turbo die in my GTi-R and am in the market for a new turbo very soon. I have spoken with GCG who say that they are now putting the internals of a GT2871R into the housing of the TB2804 from the R so it's a direct bolt on replacement. What I was wondering was, if I went a little bit crazier and put a GT3071R on with a bigger fuel pump, would I NEED to have some sort of engine management straight away and what else would I NEED to run it as I know I can get by with the GT2871R with a bigger pump as the R's have 470cc (of 440??) injectors from memory....

Thanks.

youd need biger injectors from the research i have done.

really need 740cc injectors if you want to run a 3071r anywhere near its effciency zone.

also need to buy the actuator as it doesnt come with one.

im not sure about the management but it would prob go alot better and safer with it then without.

stop being so tight and get a damn PFC or something

ok if he needs 740cc injectors, how the hell is he gonna run them on stock engine management? unless of course you get it remapped. But i doubt very much you're going to be bolting on that turbo, plugging in 740cc injectors and driving anywhere but up onto a dyno to get that done, even with a pfc thats all you would be doing straight up.

no point wacking on a fair sized upgraded turbo an not doing it right.. make sure you can supply all that extra air with sufficient fuel, so injectors, fuel pump, reg etc and either remap it to suit, or get a ecu that any tuner can deal with, like the pfc etc.

ok if he needs 740cc injectors, how the hell is he gonna run them on stock engine management? unless of course you get it remapped. But i doubt very much you're going to be bolting on that turbo, plugging in 740cc injectors and driving anywhere but up onto a dyno to get that done, even with a pfc thats all you would be doing straight up.

no point wacking on a fair sized upgraded turbo an not doing it right.. make sure you can supply all that extra air with sufficient fuel, so injectors, fuel pump, reg etc and either remap it to suit, or get a ecu that any tuner can deal with, like the pfc etc.

He just wants to bolt it on and use the standard injectors

put it on but only run stock boost. that should hold for a while, until you get a remap/management. fuel pump will definitely help though.

and gtir's have 440cc injectors. (thought you might have asked this on gtiroz? :doh::D )

put it on but only run stock boost. that should hold for a while, until you get a remap/management. fuel pump will definitely help though.

and gtir's have 440cc injectors. (thought you might have asked this on gtiroz? :doh::D )

stock boost being what 7psi?.. on a 3071r is going to be a absolute pig.. its efficiency range is way over that.. may as well not have a turbo. If you don't want, or can't afford the support mods for this turbo, its not worth doing.. get a smaller one that is going to work well with what you have an wind the boost up a bit an get a tune.. you'll end up with a much better result than running a 3071R well under its efficiency range.. maybe consider a gt28rs or gt2871r .64

i have a gt2871r on my sr, run 17.5psi on it an have 205rwkw. But, i have the supporting mods, and really I should be running 220-230rwkw but low compression in one cylinder.. a 3071R is aimed at 250-280rwkw applications so its pretty pointless unless you add all the extra crap and cam's to.. you will have no responsiveness without the supports.

stock being 10.5psi...

if it helps odie, i have a 2871 on my R, with just a bosch pump, 3" zorst and fmic, and on 15psi made 202kw at all fours. no management, no upgradred injectors or afm yet. HOWEVER, i have had it on a dyno to check the afr's, they were sweet, and have had a bit of data logging done, and although it's almost run out, it's still fine. every car is different though

stock boost being what 7psi?.. on a 3071r is going to be a absolute pig.. its efficiency range is way over that.. may as well not have a turbo. If you don't want, or can't afford the support mods for this turbo, its not worth doing.. get a smaller one that is going to work well with what you have an wind the boost up a bit an get a tune.. you'll end up with a much better result than running a 3071R well under its efficiency range.. maybe consider a gt28rs or gt2871r .64

i have a gt2871r on my sr, run 17.5psi on it an have 205rwkw. But, i have the supporting mods, and really I should be running 220-230rwkw but low compression in one cylinder.. a 3071R is aimed at 250-280rwkw applications so its pretty pointless unless you add all the extra crap and cam's to.. you will have no responsiveness without the supports.

if u want something with abit of a punch get what i have a gt2835r comes on hard and has heaps of power for a street car

but u will need later on bigger injectors and pfc and actuator i'am running everything stock but using a xr6 turbo actuator not every good runs 12psi then cuts in half 6psi saving for the tune and actuator

mate u dont have to buy all the other shit STRAIGHT AWAY. im runing a gt30/71 atm on stock negine apart from zarust fmic pod, fuel pump.. but im only runing .7bar...

tho the car is goin in for work in 2 weeks for cams pfc, 740cc etc

mate u dont have to buy all the other shit STRAIGHT AWAY. im runing a gt30/71 atm on stock negine apart from zarust fmic pod, fuel pump.. but im only runing .7bar...

tho the car is goin in for work in 2 weeks for cams pfc, 740cc etc

your running 7 bar i think that ment to be 7psi isn't 1 bar 14psior close to it

if u decide to read it properly u will find there is a point b4 the 7 my homie

and 1 bar is 14.7

stock being 10.5psi...

if it helps odie, i have a 2871 on my R, with just a bosch pump, 3" zorst and fmic, and on 15psi made 202kw at all fours. no management, no upgradred injectors or afm yet. HOWEVER, i have had it on a dyno to check the afr's, they were sweet, and have had a bit of data logging done, and although it's almost run out, it's still fine. every car is different though

last i looked stock was 7-8psi straight off the actuator... and a 3071R doesn't have a stock setting as its not supplied with an actuator.. another factor to consider if you're trying to do it on the cheap.. buy a 3071R you're going to have to buy an actuator to suit it seperately.

point is, unless you're aiming for over 250rwkw.. and ARE planning on doing all the support mods.. you're wasting your time and money, and sacrificing response.

^^^ thats true

but basically answer to your question, yes it will run...will max your injectors out but just run it off of your actuator... and drive concervatly and you should be ok till you can get it tuned..

Okay guys, thanks. I was really just trying to figure out where the boundaries lie for maxing out stock components, I'm not aiming for huge power figures, but I just wanted to know what I would need if I decided to go down the GT3071 path.

and gtir's have 440cc injectors. (thought you might have asked this on gtiroz? doh.gif biggrin.gif )

Don't get me started on the issues I've had trying to get onto gtiroz...

Thanks again guys.