nismoman

Project S13 - Supersprint/Time Attack

looks good bro.. did you notice any difference with the canards?

Much improved turn in with the canards. Front end felt very good, had virtually zero understeer.

I'm thinking about re-shaping my splitter and making up a rear diffuser now!

MORE DOWNFORCE PLEASE!!!!

Pics!!!!

A few quick snaps of me coming through the new section at Eastern Creek, now known as "Sydney Motorsport Park" blah!!!

Finished 8th outright and first in class! 2:07.00 lap time WOOT!

To be honest I don't really like the new extended circuit. It does not fit well with the rest of the fast flowing nature of the old circuit.

It really is like a go-cart track - narrow and very tight! Diff was chattering through the tight left hander and felt so slow! :hammer:

Still was fun to drive something new, but give me the old "main" layout any day!!!! :yes:

DSC_1166.jpegDSC_1168.jpeg

DSC_1171.jpegDSC_1172.jpeg

So did the AWD cars kill it through the new section?

I was chasing a WRX and it also chased me through there a couple of times. He seemed to be doing it easier than me. (when do they not lol?)

The WRX was good out of the corners, and he ended up 6 tenths of a second quicker than me on the day. I'm pretty sure he made that up through the new section.

Out of everyone I spoke to it was the clubman and FWD boys that loved the new section the most.

I really wouldn't be upset if I never drove the new south circuit or even the extended layout again.

I'm hoping they reshape the tight left hander as it's a real bitch of a corner!!

I was chasing a WRX and it also chased me through there a couple of times. He seemed to be doing it easier than me. (when do they not lol?)

The WRX was good out of the corners, and he ended up 6 tenths of a second quicker than me on the day. I'm pretty sure he made that up through the new section.

Out of everyone I spoke to it was the clubman and FWD boys that loved the new section the most.

I really wouldn't be upset if I never drove the new south circuit or even the extended layout again.

I'm hoping they reshape the tight left hander as it's a real bitch of a corner!!

Sounds really disappointing. :(

nice s13 mate im aiming to get the supra around wakefield in 1.06 but have to finish it first

Thanks for the compliment!

She aint the prettiest S13, but I sure love working on it and punting it around the track as much as I can.

Your Supra sounds the goods, don't worry about lap times first up. Just focus on getting out there, do lots of laps and have fun.

The lap times start coming down as a consequence!

I don't have anything planned modifcation wise this year, but I do plan on attending a few more events.

Hey Mark, whats been happening? What's the next event?

Hey mate!

I've been a bit MIA lately with new job and workload just smashing me. Think I'm starting to see the light now though.

I'm looking at doing Wakefield Park 24/3/13 NSW Supersprint Round 1. Think it is hosted by the Mini Car Club.

It's been quite some time since I was at Wakie. Probably 18mths or so!

Time to reacquaint myself with that fun little track I think!

Then I plan on doing a few EC (sorry SMP) events, but only Main GP (old) and North Circuits. They can keep that crappy South Circuit. Might be persuaded to drive the Extended Circuit.

It's so hard to find time away from work, so I'll be stoked if i can make 4 or so events this year.

You've convinced me to add canards to my list of wants - added benefit of looking race as f#ck.

C'mon Mark update your thread!

Was great seeing you out yesterday. Love the little Silvia vs the big budget V8's and 4wd EVO's!! Some great driving :)

Yeah thanks! I normally only update if I have photo's, video or at the very least, have set new personal best times. Seeing as I don't have any of these to report, I figured it wasn't worthwhile!

So anyway, in brief:

14/4/13 Sunday - Sydney Motorsport Park GP layout (the best). NSW Supersprint Round 2.

Car performed great, no issues.

Almost matched my PB, was 1 tenth of a second off. Lapped 1:42.90 whilst having a fantastic battle with an Evo 8 circuit car and Torana SS 6.0ltr.

First time I have overtaken someone on the inside of turn 1 at approx 200km/hr!! That was a highlight for me. That session was one of the best ever!

Made some cool moves under brakes into the hairpins at turn 2 and at turn 8 hairpin (old turn 9).

Out of 138 entries, I was the 3rd fastest tin top on the day.

1st in class

9th outright.

Not bad!!

Ok finally something to write about! Bought some new front guards, 40mm origin items. So stoked as the silvia rarely gets new parts. The one part of my car I've never been happy with was my diy home ghetto style flared stock guards. Can't wait to get these bad boys fitted up and painted.

20130603_203007.jpg

I have a supersprint at Sydney Motorsport Park (SMP) 16/6/13, I don't know if i will get the guards fitted by then, but working on getting video sorted!

That's top Mark! Will really change the look of the car. Get some rears and rivet them on.

They look pretty nice. How much did they set you back? I thought they only made 25mm with origin but that's good to know they do 40mm.

That's top Mark! Will really change the look of the car. Get some rears and rivet them on.

Thanks John, been waiting a while to improve the car's looks. Figured it needed a bit of love! Might consider doing the rears as well. Re-tune is next on the cards. I could really do with another 10kw's!

They look pretty nice. How much did they set you back? I thought they only made 25mm with origin but that's good to know they do 40mm.

Hi Mase, cheers mate, I'm pretty happy with the quality. I picked them up for $250. The guy didn't need them anymore, they were still new in the packaging. 40mm was the widest I could find made by Origin. Should do the job nicely!

pushed it a little too hard through the esses on the smsp extended track. made contact with the walland came off 2nd best. hit the tyre barrier side on. damaged whole passenger side. think i got lucky considering, looks like it can be repaired ok. race it, break it, fix it

Crashed s13.jpg

Damn bad luck mate, happens to the best.

Bad luck, so long as you're OK that's the main thing.

Is the damage comestic only or has the wheel and suspension taken a knock too?

Bad luck mate, could have been a lot worse. but like we said, great chance for a wide body kit now. You've always wanted one!!

BTW still did a great time!!!

more pics. no injuries and looks like just panel damage. blinker smashed, front fender, door is pretty fcked, left rear guard and rear bar. rear qtr window smashed. door sill looks ok, chassis and roof not buckled. got lucky i guess. went off doing warp speed!

Front.jpg

Closer.jpg

Closer2.jpg

Overall.jpg

Bad luck mate, could have been a lot worse. but like we said, great chance for a wide body kit now. You've always wanted one!!

BTW still did a great time!!!

Thanks John. I'm not too torn up. I can rebuild it with some extra mods! A little wider, a little lighter, a little better looking! Not a bad lap time considering a lot of people were crashing on Sunday. A 2:08.3 isn't too shabby but still 1.3 seconds off my best there. I think I saw the ambulance go out 7 or 8 times throughout the day. It seemed the track was very green and slippery. I was running 2nd in class and had to find about 8 tenths to regain 1st place. So I was really driving it hard. Was a real shame it ended like it did, but wanted to make sure I gave it everything. Sometimes you have to find the limit, then go past it, then pull it back a bit!!!! I just chose the wrong spot to really push it past the limit. It's probably one of the trickiest parts of the new circuit. Very tight, undulating, and not much run off. You don't think about that though! One minute I was driving the hell out of it, next thing I have 2 wheels in the air from skipping over the ripples through the esses. This got me sideways when I landed, then I reached the crest where it dips downhill and to the left. Car just speared off and chined to the right, rotated 180 degrees and into the wall. What sucks even more was I had an onboard camera but it didn't work! All that effort and no footage! BAH!!!

That's the attitude mate. It can be fixed and can be improved upon for sure.

You always drive hard and well but this stuff just happens. Glad it wasn't worse.

Take your time and sort it out how you really want it, it's the best chance to do it properly. You'll be back better than before.

Damn man, bet your glad you didn't get time to fit the new guards up!

Beat me to it CaBS.

Its only a mistake if you don't learn from it!

So glad I didn't fit those new guards in a hurry! Sometimes it pays to procrastinate! Some progress - I bought some 50mm rear over fenders, that should hide any ugly. Yesterday borrowed a slide hammer, mig welder and some tools from my bro (thanks man!). Started stripping it today, both are bumpers off, front guards are off. Need to get it all back together before the 28th July. Quietly excited, can't wait to see it converted to widebody.