nismoman

Project S13 - Supersprint/Time Attack

Good stuff. Make sure you take pics, we love pics.

Yeah top stuff Mark.

Car is going to look great with the widebody kit! Cant wait to see it. Post plenty of pics!

couple of teaser pics. going to need some spacers!

20130701_212648-1.jpg

20130701_212814-1.jpg

What's your feeling about spacers on track cars?

Spacers are spacers, I know many active track cars who use spacers.

I don't know much about using them hence asking. I've heard of some of my drift mates snappign wheel studs potentially due to spacers.

Could I run a small spacer to get some extra track width?

Spacers are fine. I've been running bolt ons for years and never had an issue. Just need to make sure you have plenty of thread if you use slipons.

Hmm, you say slip on as i there's another type, is the other one hub centric? is one better than the other?

If it's a cheap way to get more grip I'm all for it or does it put more strain on bushing and ball joints having the available range of motion moved further away from the pivot point?

I generally check my wheel nuts with a torque wrench set to 100nm. Snapping studs is usually from over tightening.

No different to using lower offset wheels. It will change the scrub radius, not such a problem unless you're drifting and using heaps of lock. You will get more grip by increasing track.

Better add it to my ever growing list then.

Where the original studs come through, do they have to be cut down to clear the rear of the rim?

One pair of mine are gktech. Also get hub rings to suit your wheels to make use of the hubcentric spacers.

Depends on the wheel. Most have voids inbetween the holes on the back.

Edited by sc s15

Spacers are for clearance issue, whether it be caliper or guard clearance for a better fitment,

Yes it does give a wider track but that's not the true purpose of it, but it's still an effective way to gain a little more track.

Cool so these ? http://www.gktech.com/index.php/66-1mm-72-6mm-aluminium-hub-centric-rings-pair.html

Are you running bolt ons or slips ons and is one better than the other? The slip ons are much cheaper but only 15mm.

http://www.gktech.com/index.php/4-5x114-3-15mm-hub-centric-slip-on-spacers.html

Do you need the rings if the spacer already says it's hub centric?

You wouldn't be able to use a 15mm spacer on factory wheel studs. Well maybe you could, but I wouldn't. You'd need longer wheel studs for the slip on ones.

The bolt on spacers allow you to use factory wheel studs as they bolt onto the factory hub, then they have 5 wheel studs pressed into the spacer.

I use spacers, however I do find the lower end ones can be a pain with cross threading.

You wouldn't even know you'd copped a hit looking at that pic!

Edited by Mase

The rings are so the hole in the wheel is the same size as the hub. Same without spacers, you should still run the rings to suit your wheels and hubs.

Bolt ons only go down to 16mm for obvious reasons. I run 20 and 25mm bolt on.

OK cool, thanks a heap.

My birthday is coming up... just saying...

More pics!

Man I hope this doesn't make me want to ditch the slr flares and go this wide body!!!

Spacers? Just get bigger wheels for bigger rubber with hectic offsets lol

Can't wait to see it.

Well after a bit of a hiatus, fixing the car whilst also growing a family and house reno's, I finally got the s13 bolted back together and made it to Eastern Creek (SMSP) late 2014. Just a good old practice day to shake it down. Was pretty busy with plenty of nice cars on the day. Managed to lap 1:43.6 not far off my PB. Not too shabby after 18mths absence. Couple of pics showing new wide body. Please forgive my temporary spray can paint job.

Ec1.jpg

Ec2.jpg

Hehe thanks boxhead! It was a top day. I forget how much track time you get at a practice day. 20min sessions are good for 10 laps in a row!

So used to the supesprint format, it was nice change.

Replica Porsche 962 (in background) was pretty sick!

I have some more mods/changes on the cards:

E85

1000cc injectors

new fuel pumps

Fuel rail

adj cam gears

splitfire coilpacks

Retune

Fibreglass headlight blanks

Nismo grill

Repaint

Revise front splitter

All takes time and money - will get there soon.

Blast from the past with mark and matt!

Good stuff mark. Modifying is good! Car will perform even better mate yet still be heaps of fun.

Couple of pics after mods and paint. Ready for the track in 2016!

S13 painted.jpg

S13 engine.jpg

S13 painted2.jpg

S13 naca.jpg

Nice. Did you end up going e85?

What happened last year. Only 1 round?

Looking good mate. No info on the new POWAH!!! haha should go alright now, more power, less weight, more aero... all you need now are some fat 295's under the corners!!

BTW good luck at the sprint mate... playing cricket unfortunately otherwise would have come and helped out.

Nice. Did you end up going e85?

What happened last year. Only 1 round?

Howdy, thanks! I've put in alot of hard work and late nights to get it done. Yes went E85, I listened to you and lots of others and finally took the plunge. Won't ever go back now!

Tuned by Jez at DVS Tuning it made 255.3 rwkw's at 21 psi. Not bad for internal stock motor, standard manifold, plenum, and 2871r 0.64 rear housing and 52 trim turbo.

Yes I didn't make it out to many events last year. After Wakefield Park when I last saw you, I had a mystery problem that needed some diagnosis on the dyno to fix, so I went E85.

Replaced pumps, FPR, fuel lines, fuel rail, injectors (pretty much new fuel system) and new ignition system also. Few other bits and pieces.

Now I need some new tyres and a lot of seat time. I've done 2 events in like 2.5 years. It's way too long between events to get in the groove.

Going to give it a good go this year though.

How about yourself? I've seen your the 510 for sale on my105.com are you thinking of moving on?

Looking good mate. No info on the new POWAH!!! haha should go alright now, more power, less weight, more aero... all you need now are some fat 295's under the corners!!

BTW good luck at the sprint mate... playing cricket unfortunately otherwise would have come and helped out.

Hey buddy! Thanks for the compliment. I spent so many hours sanding and filling and sanding and painting and... you get the idea. I really have no patience for body work and I really went the extra mile (for me anyway) to make it look good. I think it turned out ok and was worth all the hard work.

Power is now at 255rwkw's which I think is excellent. Certainly a good jump up from the 230rwkws I had.

Sat 5/3/16 at SMSP GP circuit I ran in an interclub supersprint held by NSWRRC. I only got 16 laps in over 3 sessions and booked a 1:45.1 lap time. Experienced a few issues, namely a leaky rocker cover gasket. Pulled the coil packs off and the spark plug wells were full of oil! Pretty glad it was an easy fix.

Also found I hit some kind of speed limiter on the straight. When in 5th gear and hitting 6500rpm the ECU would cut in and stop everything. It was quite annoying not being able to go full throttle!

I think the problem is my ECU has had the speed signal wire cut and because of this the ECU then reverts back to a load signal on the throttle position. To protect the engine it cuts the fuel/ignition at that load level.

Despite the problems, it was a good day. Very much needed to sort any issues and rectify. Next stop is Winton Raceway on 23/24th April for Australian Supersprint Championships.

I've never been around Winton before and very excited to head down and have a ball.

Sweet. You'll be pushing towards the 30s now for sure :)

I didn't run a pb all year but still somehow came 2nd.

Plan was to not register the car again. So I put it up for sale to see if anyone wanted to keep it regoed. If sold I was just going to build another one without rta rules getting in the way.

No interest so welded a cage in and logbooked it.

I can't make it to the Nationals or r1 but should be at r2.

Good luck at Winton.