Sign in to follow this  
beeradd

SEAFOAM?

browsing on youtube just before, and saw this stuff called Seafoam. Guy was putting this stuff down the vacum line until his soarer stalled. Now he said you wait 10 mins 'which he did', then started it back up with smoke bellowing out the exhaust. after a while the smoke stopped, after which he revved the nuts off the thing. the product claims to rid the motor of carbon deposits, which is a pretty bold claim.

just want to know if anyone has heard of, or tried this stuff. and what do you think?

never heard of it b4, but i know that watter injection keeps the insides of the combusion chambers very clean, so i can't see any reason y you coun't use water to the same affect.

it might take longer, and we might be in a drought, but it will certainly be cheaper.

maybe even quicker as ya dont need to go down to street to buy it lols

btw i only meen small amounts of water not a bloody hose, had to add that or i could see blow torches pointed in my direction lols.

subaru have a genuine additive that is much the same...... suby charges like 10 bucks

Yeah the subaru stuff is just called upper engine cleaner. I have heard people say it's magic lol. I have a can in the garage my mate works at subaru so he just gets them from work.

I am keen to use the subaru one. Would I need to change oil after??

I've actually used the Subaru one, besides causing a lot of smoke, I don't actually know if it has done anything lol some people swear by it and others I've spoke to say it works best in Subaru and has little effect in other engines. Dunno how that would work but just what I have been told. Engine did idle a little smoother however.

Edited by BIGADZ

its basically kerosene. As said adding enough water to the instake to create a steam explosion inside the cylinder works fine too. Maybe even better. I believe they use kero has it has some lubrication properties and people worry about water rusting out the cylinder block. Anyways steam is corrosive or shoudl i say hi pressure steam has a sand blasting effect, like a metal etcher. so i can see how that works.

beerad, i've also done some looking and it appears you cant get seafoam in australia (due to it being petrolium based or something) so the subie cleaner would be your best bet, i've had a look through some old posts and everyone says yeh just spray it in etc etc, If anyone has a step by step guide on how they use it i'm sure it would be usefull to someone (me included!)

subaru upper engine cleaner works awesome on any engine. used to have boxes of the crap but have used/given most of it away now.

Yes I change my oil every 5000, just wondering if I should wait till just before oil change, just wondering if the cleaner thins the oil.

I have checked the other forums and you tube and no we cant get seafoam in OZ. I will try subaru one.

As for using it, there is a vacuume hose that comes off your brake booster that goes to your plenum, remove then hose off your brake

booster and spray it in there with car running dont let it stall, rev it up n shit. thumb.gif

If it goes into your intake, how exactly will it affect your oil? Trying to follow your "logic" there.

Also spray it in at the throttle body vacuum point, much more effective from this point as it cleans out any junk in the inlet manifold.

so the one on my cooler piping right next to throttle? well I thought putting octane boost, injector cleaner in fuel thin the oil? so just being sure.

I have 1000k old motul oil in just being sure

just open your throttle and spray it down like half a can, start it(will need to put foot to the floor) run it through (smoke and shit will poor out the exhaust) and spray the rest into the throttle and do the same again

and wynn's(i cnat spell) make one btu the subaru stuff is HEAPS better

Ok I used the subaru one all went well, but no smoke came out. cost me $17.15

same here. used a whole can but no smoke or difference. must have a clean engine!!!