Sign in to follow this  
jonny89

Turbro issues

hey boys, recently bought a r32 gtst, had no probs with it until i fitted a manual boost bleed valve and i ran about 14psi or maybe 15psi by accident, then changed it with in maybe 15kms back to 9psi! now, after a week of sitting at doyles, the noise it made when on high boost is worse, im not at all blaming doyles, i want to work out if its a belt thats making the issue, or if my turbo is f**ked? i know the alternator belt needs replacing, but im not quite sure that a belt would make me loose booost at the top of second gear near 4000rpm e.t.c! now i have briefly described this to shuan at boostworx, but if i need a new turbo i want to get onto it quikly before the only date of the 12th that shaun can fit me in! so i need help if anyone else has had same issues, if they know if the turbo is foooked, i am changing the alternator belt tomoro, ) oh forgot to add, its now on standard boost), but if that doesnt prevail, then it looks like an upgrade to a 33 series 1 turbo, cause its cheap, but i would prefer a brand new, cheapy until i can save for some staunch mofo of a snail! so ideas on upgrades, prices, places to go, ideas what the noise is e.t.c.! cheers in advance fellas

1 not a memeber of sau just yet, will join up tomoro

2 any gear, after about 3-4000rpm, there is a noise like a belt spinning, then it gets to a high pitched almost whistle! i cant really describe it better than that, it has to be heard to destinguish

3 yeh i dont have $2000 for a new decent turbo, maybe even $800 is pushing it! what about a kkr? any good suggestions and help peeps????????

to be honest with you, it sounds like a gasket leak. i'd think turbo to manifold gasket leak

In my experience, when most turbos go, your car becomes very smokey.

Garry.

would only go smokey if the oil seal is gone, if its just a chip in the blades then it wouldn't go smokey just yet

but i think its just a gasket leak anyway.

Mate that kind of problem is going to very difficult to diagnose on the internet by what you saying - I wouldnt bother too much about asking here - just get it checked out by a competent mechanic.

Book it into Boostworx as you said - worst case scenario is you wont need to replace your turbo. I'm sure Shaun wont mind.

loud squill which sounds like a loose belt.... Guess what it could be a loose belt with a boost leak.... or farked turbo.... or just loose belt or both... or many other things..

most turbo whistles and whines are cause by the front thrust bearing worn or failing. this causes the whole turbo shaft with its wheels and all to move forward and the result is the compressor wheel rubs the compressor housing ever so slightly. causing the noise.

easy way to tell is to take the intake pipe off the turbo and see if theres exsessive back and forth play in the shaft. also sometimes theres a light film of alloy powder and oil in the intake so if you wipe your finger around you might find this.

just an update, which may help tell the problem, took my boost t off today, after we worked out it was running on 15psi, when it was turned down to no more than stock boost, now we took it off, and have no manual boost contoller on it, and it says that the turbo is running at like 11psi, with no add ons! so i dont know whats going on! 0nly updating the post, to see if anyone may be able to tell whats going on, otherwise, i will have to leave it to the pros!

the next thing is worse case scenario tryin to find a brand new half decent turbo for under $1000, or other option is a r33 series 1 turbo from nisswreck for $450, but i then dont know how many kms or whatever the turbo has! so im in a nutshell on what to do!

first thing is to get the current turbo checked out and go from there, i was just thinking of worse case scenario

Ok how to diagnose your issue,

1. Give the engine bay a decent clean, so you can see what you are doing

2. let the car go cold then start the engine and check for an exhaust leak, before the maifold heats upon feel around it making sure that youy dont feel any air escaping.

3. Take off intake pipes and feel for shaft play if you can wiggle the shaft its in trouble

4. Belts affecting Boost????? please do some research on how an engine works

Best solution take it to shaun and get him to diagnose it for you

mate, it wasnt meant to come across as the alternator belt makes the boost! im not that stupid! im saying the alternator belt slipping in the pulley can apparently make the whine noise! just to clear up that

I had a similar problem with my R33 and it ended up being 3 out of 4 turbo bolts being finger tight ha.

Made a high pitch squeel on boost!

hey my car started doing that noise a few weeks ago tried checkn hoses etc might hafto check the things you guys just mentioned

cheeres

will check the bolts tomoro and see what the go is, then ill update the thread! still possibly looking at upgrading tho, any ideas for around or under the $1g mark?

will check the bolts tomoro and see what the go is, then ill update the thread! still possibly looking at upgrading tho, any ideas for around or under the $1g mark?

Sounds like it all started when the boost controller was installed... I would start by checking whether that was done properly... Maybe look for around the instalation?

Take it to a mechanic if you can't confidently diagnose/fix it yourself.

FYI: Standard boost an an RB20 is arround the 11-12 psi range...

really i thoughts stock boost on a 32 was at 7psi! is what the stock boost gauge in dash says +7! anyone clarify this not that i dont believe you hayai32!

stock r32 boost gauge is not in psi, its x100 mm Hg (millimeters of mercury)

oh okay, so 12pound of boost is normal! ill research and find out myself shall i ! unless someone wants to save the hassel of me doing that

do it yourself, u might learn something

im waiting for you to come back and tell us that its just a leak between ur turbo/manifold, cos i am pretty sure thats what it is.

well the bolts on between the turbo and manifold were loose as a mofo goose, but there is still a minor whine, but its not affecting boost any more! well very minimally

apparently it could be the dump pipe, althought those bolts are tight as nun!

hmmm, and manifold to engine block ? is ur boost not leaking anymore and it still whines? sounds like trouble.

Sounds like you have experienced this problem bill? The turbo was loose on the manifold. I tightened the nuts on it tonight, took it round the block and it was better.. it still makes a slight whining noise though. This noise is similar to the engine noise you sometimes hear through the speakers.

Sounds like you have experienced this problem bill? The turbo was loose on the manifold. I tightened the nuts on it tonight, took it round the block and it was better.. it still makes a slight whining noise though. This noise is similar to the engine noise you sometimes hear through the speakers.

yes i have experienced this before, hence why i knew where the noise was coming from. i think the gasket is now shagged due to driving it like that, so it needs to be changed, but also check engine to manifold

Nick at smooth garage can tell you and fix it straight away, he's a gun. I'd suggest letting them have a look like Han has mentioned.

no worries mate, ill give em a call and ask about my options, cheers for the prompt answer!