Sign in to follow this  
typextc

BOV - whistling as i spool!?!?!?

Hi all,

well i bought a HKS SSQV from link180 anyway i installed the bov and problem is:

When im spooling hard enough .. the bov starts to whistle asif im taking IN air in the bov asif my BOV was an airfilter!

pretty much sounds like asif the bov is either blowing air constantly while im boosting!

on lowish rpm .. it works fine and wen i release the gas it makes the "ttcchkkkssshhh".... but when i slam the gas it makes the scchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noise all the way through until i let go of the accelerator!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!

maybe tighten the spring on top of the BOV

mine does this too but i just cant be bothered fixing it. i plan on getting rid of it when i get a new exhaust and just go plum back

see how you go i suppose

unless of course im totally wrong!?

i had the old style HKS SSQV bov (funny one that made the wapp-tshhh sound, similar to the blitz ss) and it did the same thing. could hear this strange whistling sound when spooling. might have been my adjustment but not too sure as i got rid of it.

i upgraded to the new non-adjustable HKS SSQV bov and i've had no problems or funny sound. just sore ears from the pitch! :)

sure its not your pod man?

yeh im pretty sure man ... because as soon as I start to spool.. first i here my airfiler sucking in .. then the BOV starts to make an intake noise too !! asif the bov was taking in air and just constantly blowing!!

I tightened the bolt as you guys suggested... but its still the same =(

yeh it sounds like theres a leak from round ur b.o.v i can sugest the obvious to check it connected tight and theres no leaks from it and tighten it, otherwise check the piping.

the bolt adjustment on that SSQV is limited....besides its a push type bov, which unlikely will leak. depending on age.

try removing it, tighten the clamps

if not, the gate trap may be stuck open in that bov, a good lubrication may help

Hi all,

well i bought a HKS SSQV from link180 anyway i installed the bov and problem is:

When im spooling hard enough .. the bov starts to whistle asif im taking IN air in the bov asif my BOV was an airfilter!

pretty much sounds like asif the bov is either blowing air constantly while im boosting!

on lowish rpm .. it works fine and wen i release the gas it makes the "ttcchkkkssshhh".... but when i slam the gas it makes the scchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noise all the way through until i let go of the accelerator!

Thanks!

dude........

sure its not ur pod?

or do u have a metal pipe intake?

secure propa between bov n adaptor.....i repeat secure propa between bov n adaptor

but its still boosting fine correct?

wen it starts to make the noise do u feel that ur coming on boost slower than b4??? it sounds like ur having bov leak..tighten ur settings up a bit. if im right, ur bov spring is being outpowered by the pressure in the intake and is being opened. try not too overtighten or you'll get flutter

comprende?

hav u notice any boost leak?

if so, your bov needs to be tighten

INFO REGARDING HKS SSQV: There is no such thing as a bolt or knob that you can tighten. It's a push type bov that closes tighter the more boost get's fed through, It opens when there is a dramatic CHANGE of boost pressure incurred by lifting off. There are 2 degrees of venting, a primary and secondary, primary vents large pressure changes, secondary vents smaller pressure changes.

For typextc: I'm running the same bov. Mine makes the same sound as u describe.. but it IS my POD. How do I know? Coz I had the stock airbox in place of the pod and it didn't make the sound as u described + No change in boost behaviour according to my boost gauge. Give it a nice thang down a straight... then open ur hood, dc the vacuum pipe from the bov and stick a tight fitting screw/bolt in there, and thang it down the street again. You'll most probably still hear the sound u describe, and you'll notice that boost behaves the same...

If I'm wrong, when u d/c ur boost gauge as I described, the whistling should stop. In that case, u have a faulty SSQV

Hi all,

Thanks!

dude........

sure its not ur pod?

or do u have a metal pipe intake?

secure propa between bov n adaptor.....i repeat secure propa between bov n adaptor

but its still boosting fine correct?

im 110% sure its not my pod mate... if only any of u guys were local i'd seriously take u for a spin to hear it..

I got a new "shoe horse" and rubber seal to lock the BOV in the adapter as the one you provided me was completely bent and unusable..

I noticed the welding around the adapter and seems to be a ruff job... Do you know whether your mate who used to own this have any probelms with it?

well im really not sure whether its boosting correctly or not .. as the moment i try to boost... the BOV starts spooling... and i seriously mean the noise is literally coming from the BOV as if there is air rushing through it and being let out at the same time.... and it doesn't feel like it boosts as good as it used to... sorta feels like ive lost power... don't really know how to explain this any simpler... if i can get an audio recording of this i'll try and post it up for all to hear!

the bolt adjustment on that SSQV is limited....besides its a push type bov, which unlikely will leak. depending on age.

if not, the gate trap may be stuck open in that bov, a good lubrication may help

Gate trap? is there a procedure in which you could show me how to open the BOV to access that point?

Gate trap? is there a procedure in which you could show me how to open the BOV to access that point?

disconnect the vacuum hose from the bov and block it... If it still makes that sound, the gate most probably be stuck open

disconnect the vacuum hose from the bov and block it... If it still makes that sound, the gate most probably be stuck open

Ok il give that one a go! should be fine to block off with a screw?

Well the previous owner did mention that it was laying around for quite awhile .. might be clogged with dirt ... can i just spray the inside with WD40?

internal seal is gone , allowing the air to escape the chamber and not hold pressure

its common for the HKS SSQV's , ive personally had 6 do the same thing

how were u able to fix this problem?

and/or where did u get a replacement seal..?

either that or that rough weld u were talking about has finally got a pinhole somehow lol

bring it too me and ill rebuild it , i have a new diaphram and seal here

bring it too me and ill rebuild it , i have a new diaphram and seal here

Really? awesome mate!

thanks!

might sound a little stupid mate, but when you get a slight 4 bolt leak it tends to have a wistling sound, just a thought.