Sign in to follow this  
suicidaL

Cleaning engine bay

Hey guys im just wondering what is the best way to clean my engine bay, Am i able to just degress and then Use high pressure cleaner to clean it off

What electrical things should i Not get wet etc, also some products that will make it look nice

I just cover the wiring near the plenum and the air filter with plastic bags before I start cleaning. I use black magic engine shine for the actual engine and components (you leave it on for 10 minutes before washing off, I'm not sure if they still sell it). then for the paint in the engine bay & under the bonnet I use degreaser and a scrubbing brush with the high pressure hose.

After you've done all that you make sure your electricals have no water in it then give your engine bay a wipe down and spray the hoses and black bits with armour all or the equivalent....looks heaps better after, especially the paint under the bonnet.

ive gotta 180 and just used degreaser came up looking nice best the cars looked in ages

well engine bay anyway

do a wee init.

Leather Gloves + Hot water + Brush + Degreaser

any questions ?

I just cover the wiring near the plenum and the air filter with plastic bags before I start cleaning. I use black magic engine shine for the actual engine and components (you leave it on for 10 minutes before washing off, I'm not sure if they still sell it). then for the paint in the engine bay & under the bonnet I use degreaser and a scrubbing brush with the high pressure hose.

After you've done all that you make sure your electricals have no water in it then give your engine bay a wipe down and spray the hoses and black bits with armour all or the equivalent....looks heaps better after, especially the paint under the bonnet.

+1

degreser works fine, however make sure you cover all hoses and electrical components with plastic bags.

yeah degreaser is good for the oily bits, and some carwash with water in a spray bottle is good for the general dirt and dust

get some different sized brushes too they will help

make sure you cover up the alternator, as thats easy to overlook and dont get too close to the fuse box.

gladwrap is good for covering fiddly bits, and you can also use aluminium foil as its easy to shape and will stay in place (just dont short out any electricals with it ;))

Baby oil from Home Brand :) Honestly, the best thing there is for the engine bay, just give all surfaces a wipe, it'll shine like new (works best on black bits), lots of used car dealerships use it. If you wanna be fancy, use Jonson & Jonson oil :D

Posted (edited)

Guys, is there anyone who have tried cleaning it with electric water pressures? They say it's a decent option and that's why I want to get one. I found an article with spx3000 pros/cons review and I believe it's a decent option. What are your thoughts on it? By the way, thanks for recommendations. I'll take a note of some of them.

Edited by Marran