Sign in to follow this  
zzero

thinking of going to an E30 323i & 325i

I'm thinking of selling my S13 Silvia and opting for something european. I like the idea of an E30 BMW 323i coupe with an engine swap for something a bit sportier or a 325i coupe. I love the styling and the fact that they arent full of electrical gadgets i don't actually need, while being driver focused rear wheel drives. Has anyone owned something like this? Very keen to hear what it's like to own one. What to expect for parts (genuine, wrecker and aftermarket), what to expect for fuel consumption, common problems, etc. Looking to spend under $15k

3512312299.jpg

thanks

Edited by zzero

If your willing to spend around 15k like you've stated above, Your better off looking for an E30 325iS, Which is basically a 325i, With an MtechII kit, (Like the car you posted above.) LSD, Recaro/Sports interior, 5 speed manual, Etc.

They also have a Black headligning, So this is an easy way to spot a fake.

Parts for E30's are readily available. There's heaps around, And are the choice for many enthusiast's.

They are great looking cars for there age, And look incredibly sexy slammed on dish with stretch :D

E30 325iS - Carsales. 1

E30 325iS - Carsales. 2

Goodluck with your search.

Edited by John.

Do you want something stockish, or modded off its tits?

The 325iS is the premium Aus delivered E30, no doubt, but personally I wouldn't buy one - any mods would almost result in a reduction in the value of the car. They're more of a collector's car these days in my eyes. Hence the rediculous premium for one of them over anything else. So for a car kept relatively stock, yeah, get one of those.

Personally I'd rather a 4 cyl E30 anyways. 318iS (gotten for half the price) with a 2L stroker kit (a few US companies sell them) with a Downing Atlanta SuperCharger (DASC) kit with a smaller pulley running 10-11psi would result in some serious hills fun.

Or theres always the 325e option. Low revving 6cyl 2.7L motor, until you replace the head with a 323i (early '773' casting iirc) or 325i head and appropriate ECU for either high comp 2.7L proper revving 6 or low comp 2.7L motor for decent boost turbo applications.

Just be wary, E30 parts in Australia are dear as hell. 2nd hand factory LSDs... $800! So look out for parts from overseas.

Good luck with it. E30's are fantastic cars.

u can still get gen e30 m3s cheap.. i fyou know where to look ;)

where?

more info on what i'm after:

Only looking to spend $15k max but might stretch to $20k for something really special. Fairly stock, basic mods would be done by me if not already on the car but nothing over the top. I would consider a lower model 3 series with a quality engine conversion to something more interesting. I do not want the 1.8L motor as what i've read about the E36 series, the 1.8L motor uses 10L/100kms, which is not acceptable for a car without much pace. The E30 could be much more economical, please tell me.

I'm not after an M3 as I don't have the money to buy one and would get the same $/enjoyment ratio as a lower model car. If there was one for under $20,000 in good condition i'd consider it but sinse that won't happen i'd prefer a cheaper model.

I have found this 323i with 2.6L Alpina motor. Can some people in the know share comments? ^_^

323i with 2.6L Alpina motor conversion

120k kms on motor, 160k kms on whole car $13,900.

Edited by zzero

Note that 318i and 318iS motors are very different - the i is a SOHC POS thats only good for rebuilding with low compression to run stupidly high boost in turbo applications. The iS is a DOHC revvy motor that is fantastic to drive, although somewhat still underpowered in standard form.

However, your choice is fantastic. I don't know what the legalities are in your state regarding running that motor, but that would be one quick machine. Being an '83 its probably one of the lightest e30 chassis around, as they didnt use 'enough' or 'as much' (depending at which way you want to look at it) sound deadening in that year. That Recaro interior is worth a mint, as are the BBS RS's these days. It seems very clean with the bumpers having been painted- just check that they did a proper job of it and the paint isnt flaking off any underlying chrome (although, it would be a god excuse to upgrade to a set of late model plastic bumpers or Mtec items). Check the boot battery well and under the taillights in the boot for rust, as well as under the pedals and the leather driver's footmat thats stitched into the OEM carpet.

Good luck with it! Let us know how you go!

Thanks that's great advice, i'll make sure to look when i go inspect it.

Is the price fair do you think?

For something of its age, it seems a lot, but looks like a lot of engineering has gone into it.

Take it for a good drive and you'll know. :)

Why do E30's keep popping up wherever I go? They live in my subconscious and I need to hurry up and buy one!

HANS3N knows what he's on about: don't buy a 325iS if you intend to mod it in any way because you pay a premium for a completely stock car and modding it will severely decrease the value. Personally I'd opt for a clean low-mileage 325i such as the one below listed for $7500 on carsales (it's in SA, sorry I couldn't get it to link).

Another attractice option is an e28 M535i which you'd pick up for a similar price to a decent e30 325i. It's a slightly larger car, but there are some incredible examples going around and a solid fanbase. Obviously there are few fewer aftermarket parts for them though.

XPHILTHY: where can we find these cheap E30 M3's? Incredibly no other M3 has held value as well as the E30, thus it's surprising to hear that they can be bought cheaply. These days it's not surprising to find E36 M3's going cheaper than E30's.

e30_SA1.jpg

e30_SA2.jpg

m535i.jpg

I'm currently thinking of dropping some bones on a cheap high mileage 2 door early body manual 325e to turn into a street legalish trackwhore...

rebuild to 327i using original block (stealth styles), 1/2 cage, eibach prokit on bilstein shocks (should come in exactly at legal height), e30 m3 offset bushes, whiteline sways, kaaz 1.5way centre, some wide mesh 16's, stripped out to the max. Rollered copper paint (yes, the stuff that goes green with corrosion. lol)

Only issues... no more parking space. And I'm only home for 10 days every 2 months! The base car is sooo cheap though. Feck!

^^^^

That's pretty interesting as I always thought that the 325e was an econobox made for the US market. Hadn't heard of the head swap.

It is a 2.7L econobox, but with a few mechanical things changed over from a 323i and 325i, and swap over to Motronic (Moronic) 1.3, its basically a BMW parts only 327i. :D

Google "+325e +731"

Some VERY interesting reading.