Sign in to follow this  
DrHoax

"Speedway dream out of steam"

Hey all, i hadn't heard this until i read the examiner today:

Speedway dream out of steam

July 17th, 2008

By Hayley Odgers

Plans for a $15 million regional motorsport complex north of Raymond Terrace have been quashed by the NSW Land and Environment Court which dismissed the case on Friday.

The court upheld a Port Stephens Council planning decision that the development by Motorplex did not maintain the rural character of the area; would have significant impacts on Itialia Road and other local streets; and would be a noise issue for the area.

Commissioner Graham Brown also found that the impact on flora and fauna, in particular threatened species, would be at an unacceptable level.

The proposal would have seen 26 hectares of existing habitat lost.

The proposal included a drag strip and a racing circuit of state and club standard built for the Newcastle MG Car Club, which already has facilities on the site.

The club's president Greg Hunter this week declined to comment about the court's decision and future plans for the site.

The decision has been met with relief from Port Stephens Council and local residents who have long fought the development.

Resident and owner of respite care centre Eagleton Ridge, Belinda Furlonger said she supported the development but not at the site proposed by Motorplex.

"I'm not happy, I think it's a real shame that everyone has been put through this," Mrs Furlonger said.

"It's gone on this long, and there's been copious amounts of money wasted and lost by Port Stephens Council, Motorplex and the Newcastle MG Car Club."

Port Stephens Council's head planner David Broyd said he hoped the decision would bring closure to the matter.

"Council has consistently and vigorously adopted the position that the proposed development, and the later various amended development proposals, should be refused," he said.

The council was given until tomorrow to apply for costs in the matter.

What shitty news :(

Why was it a noise issue, the RAAF bombing range is next door!!! WTF, I heard this on the news, it is so f***ed up. Guess we should start drifting the street. Oran Park is closing down, Eastern Creek is just Gay. So bring on the removable number plates and street it from here om in!!!!

What a load of horse shit!!! If they want to stop street racing then build the fukin complex!!!!! :angry:

its all part of the governments plan.. they're closing down OP, eastern creek doesn't allow drift prac days

so they make ppl drive to the closest track which is wakefield which is a few hours drive meaning we have to fill up more petrol to get there in which they get money from!!!!

damn bastards!!!

as i live near the proposed site, i have talking to a few of the guys that live there and they were saying that when they first proposed the site to the residents that there years ago they were really arogant and told all of the people at the meeting if you don't like it leave.

my boss was saying if they had of been more understanding in the early days most of the

residents wouldn't of cared. he didn't have a problem with a track being built, as he is right

into moto's and cars, its just the people that are trying to build it.

to quote him '' if they want to act like that f**k em ''

its a shame though i was looking forward to this

Edited by nath86

They give skateboarders skateparks, bike riders cycleways etc etc..... WTF cant they do everyone a favour and give us a damn area of our own!!!

With all the HOON hype you think one of those numnut pollies would have backed it??

its all part of the governments plan.. they're closing down OP, eastern creek doesn't allow drift prac days

so they make ppl drive to the closest track which is wakefield which is a few hours drive meaning we have to fill up more petrol to get there in which they get money from!!!!

damn bastards!!!

Eastern Creek does allow us to drift there, its VERY hard on cars, so at the end of the day if the cars arent bent or over heating, or blown up there is no one on the track.

So its a bit of a waste of money so ppl didnt go after the first few they ran.

Speaking to one of the guys from the MG car club on the weekend........ he said that if the Drag strip wasnt on the plans they would of approved it...!!

Thats f**king lame...!

Piss weak..... this is somthing that is supposed to take us off the streets.... change the site somewhere where they cant winge.... i bet they still dont approve it if it was for a amusment park shit would have passed no worries!

kids falling off the rollercoasters or the ferris wheel unbolting and rolling back to newcastle

i think a race track is safer.

as for the drag strip. WTH???????????? we can do without a drag strip..... lol they can use the streets

seriously that is a load of shit as everyone said if they want us to stop doing shit on the streets give us somewhere CLOSE to do it..otherwise shit is just gonna b going on the street as there is no where else to do it..

i dont really get bout what they could get more money by using fuel driving down there...you use so much on the track anyway

and of course, NOT SAYING that WE ARE THE ONES DOING THE SHIT.

just in general, as in the world.

and of course, NOT SAYING that WE ARE THE ONES DOING THE SHIT.

just in general, as in the world.

Yeeeesss thats what we meant :whistle:

Grrrr bloody @#$%^&er's

I just love how they can fund an extra stadium for the knights which doesn't get filled or take any load off the road crime statistics but they can't allow a privately funded development like this......all hail bogans of newcastle and their footy.

The developer would not go ahead with the circuit without the drag strip, so the whole lot has gone down the tube.

Portstephens council suck hairy ones, they deem it fine to build housing estates in the R.A.A.F aircraft crash zones but not a minor noise concern in a rural area, makes sense when you consider the rates they pull in yes?

End rant, for now.....

Pretty sure i read they were receiving most of the funding from the drag racing side of things. That would explain why they wont go ahead without the drag strip.

as i live near the proposed site, i have talking to a few of the guys that live there and they were saying that when they first proposed the site to the residents that there years ago they were really arogant and told all of the people at the meeting if you don't like it leave.

my boss was saying if they had of been more understanding in the early days most of the

residents wouldn't of cared. he didn't have a problem with a track being built, as he is right

Port Stephens Council's head planner David Broyd said he hoped the decision would bring closure to the matter.

"Council has consistently and vigorously adopted the position that the proposed development, and the later various amended development proposals, should be refused," he said.

I'm sure the door swung both ways on that one...

And did I hear something about a nearby resident being a council member involved with the decision making? Because i bet they weren't biased at all... <_>

I'm sure the door swung both ways on that one...

And did I hear something about a nearby resident being a council member involved with the decision making? Because i bet they weren't biased at all... <_>

alrite lets go for a car cruises to infront of old mates house up and down the street 3am cruises... does any one know an email address that we should send millions and million of complain emails? this is just so frustrating..

Really really does suck, i never thought it would happen though. The Newcaslte area (i know its in port stehpens) is so anti development.

I guess that means theres never going to be a track any where nearby or do they have other ideas?

yeah port stephens council sucks the big one

we have had so many issues with them its not funny

Boys,

The thing that we have to be aware of is that not one single person who has opposed this development will ever read this thread or any other like it (and there are hundreds). The councilors, the judge,the council officers .... NONE OF THEM give a flying F . A R K. The point I am making is that getting on here and bitching/comiserating/ranting does nothing but increase your post count which may make a difference here but makes F . A R K. all difference in getting something like this to actually happen now or in the future.

So where to from here?.......

My suggestion is as follows. On the 13th of September there is a local govt election. What these narrow minded peanuts do understand is that to get elected and stay elected they need to do what THE MAJORITY of voters want. If you are a voter enrolled in the port stephens local gvt area find out who does support a development of this type and who does not. VOTE FOR THE COUNCILORS WHO WILL SUPPORT THIS!!!!!

If you see one of the councilors in the street dont be scared.... Feed it to them.... say something like " thanks for nothing with the race track councilor XXXX", these guys chose to be the representatives of the citizens and they should want to hear your opinion.

If those of you here at NS are fair dinkum about adopting my suggestion I will go 1 step further and put up a list here of all of the councilors who voted for the track and those who voted against it. I will even put up photos up if they are available.

If you see one of the new cantidates on election day at your polling booth were they hand out the how to vote info, look them in the eye and say "would you support a race track at italia rd?" If they say no shit can them and vote for somebody else.

your chance to make a difference (as small as it may be....)

Amen to that voter's advice.

Also you all should join the newcastle mg car club so you know the up to date status of it all and help fund the past and further battles ahead.

Plus you'll know when the next local event's are on ie motorkana's, hillclimbs, etc.

They are our local cams affiliated club so we can get our licences etc through them.

They are not all old farts in mg's ya know.....honest.

governments change all the time but shit never changes anyway

the track was deafeated by a single vote when it went before the council for the most recnt DA. Having the right person or the right attitude in council would have made a difference. If you cant be bothered trying to make a difference then dont but please dont discourage others who might be prepared to try.

i'm willin to give them hell and try and do something to get it happening... but i'm not in the port stephens council... i will have to move there just so i have a say...

NSW Land and Environment court quashed it in the end

im not discouraging anyone im just calling it like i see it, are we any better off under Rudd? ................ no

its fine if you wanna continue to fight it but it looks like its not gonna happen no matter what local government does