Sign in to follow this  
dunn

Dunns photography

i figured i'l start with a bit of background: been shooting for almost two years, bought a s5600 and grew a passion from there, had that for around 6months and moved up to a 30D with a 75-300 and a 28-80, theyre both crap but they get the job done, gonna up date soon to a 17-40 and a 70-200 f2.8. just did yr11 and 12 photography and loved every min. currently working for a company named 'topgearphotography' and also 'photopool' mainly shooting sports.

heres a couple of snaps:

girlwalking-1.jpg

eaglesvsnorth1small.jpg

38editsmall.jpg

stairwelleditsmall.jpg

girldemo090small.jpg

2008_0119wedding0063blackandwhitesm.jpg

Port-1.jpg

lofty.jpg

bamboo.jpg

blacknwhitepeopleedit.jpg

got more to come but i'l wait a little.

Edited by dunn

Number 3 is just stunning!! i cant get over it. Well done :)

number 5 and 6, howd you get a particular subject to be colour? Guessing in PP?

cheers man i like it to. yeah just chuck it in photoshop, greyscale, usually saturated the shot a bit, then just go over it with the history brush.

yea, nice work dude..... love #3 as well... you have some cool ideas... like your style.

composition is excelent, but the wedding shot is way too blown out...

the jetty shot is awesome..

number 8 could do with some work but is a great shot at lofty car park using available light.. keep it up

M

cheers, yeh i know it was so hard cos the sun was setting directly in the background, that was the best i could do.

few more, mostly old stuff:

fcedit.jpg

macroleaf.jpg

compshotsmaller.jpg

windmill.jpg

1st shot is a bit dodge cos im lazy lol.

heres a few from the weekend, Eagles vs Bays. Didnt have much luck but heres a few of the better ones;

20080824_Eagles20v20Glenelg_012.jpg

20080824_Eagles20v20Glenelg_092.jpg

20080824_Eagles20v20Glenelg_129.jpg

20080824_Eagles20v20Glenelg_164.jpg

let me know what ya think.

Love it :)

All four people are in focus and its sharp!! The backgound isnt distracting either, and the ball isnt blurred!! top job :)

cheers man, yeh thats the 300 at 2.8, so sharp when you get the focus just right, i got a heap of soft ones though.

have used and extender a couple of times but usually don't.

Edited by dunn

The sports ones are cool but its a little bit static if you know what i mean. Kind of track with the players to try n get a motion blurred background of thing. itd give more of a sense of movement and action. Also slow down the shutter speed a little when you do this.

I think.. LOL not quite got this down just yet.. haha my cameras been away from me too long :(

its not a bad idea but its a bit to hard to try and pan people, cos they're only little, not like a car.

which cameras are u using atm? I dont really recommend the 17-40 on non full frame canons as the crop factor makes it neither wide nor short telephoto........and the constant F4 will be limiting. Excellent for landscapes on the 5D though.

the 300 L really benefits at f2.8 with the more sophisticated cross type AF sensors of the 1D series so ur bound to get wrongly focused shots with lesser models.

lol panning ppl....will only work if theyre moving in a linear direction like a vehicle etc, in sports u got limbs and body going in different directions. With track and field events u can do it though to an extent.

using a 30D atm, the bloke i work for uses a 17-40 and recomended it, other thing with the panning is i shoot for a company that sells to magazines so i just shoot the way they want.

with the 300 i just use the middle AF sensor, if i use any more it tends to grab the background a lot which is a pain.

using a 30D atm, the bloke i work for uses a 17-40 and recomended it, other thing with the panning is i shoot for a company that sells to magazines so i just shoot the way they want.

with the 300 i just use the middle AF sensor, if i use any more it tends to grab the background a lot which is a pain.

i recommend the 17-40 too, just not for the 30D though :lol:

seriously, use it for a bit and see for urself instead of listening to ur colleague, what works for him may not be to ur liking. the 17-55 f2.8 EFS is a better option for the 1.6x crop bodies. In the past month at my store we have had 2 17-40s traded in coming from 2 owners using 30 and 40D, they bought it because someone else from the store recommended that lens to them.....and hes a landscape photographer.... :rolleyes:

ahk, i'l wanna use it for lanscape and architecture mostly, obviously not for sports, the 17-55 is a little bit outa my range, wanna spend around 800ish on my wide lense, anything else you can recomend?

ahk, i'l wanna use it for lanscape and architecture mostly, obviously not for sports, the 17-55 is a little bit outa my range, wanna spend around 800ish on my wide lense, anything else you can recomend?

i would recommend the canon 10-22mm EFS as it would be 10mm for APS-C sensor cameras. Its rectilinear even at 10mm so no fish eye effect, but costs over a grand brand new. We were selling a 2nd hand one in the store for 850 and that went quickly.

cheaper alternative is the Sigma 10-20mm which has better image quality optically than the canon, but just slightly more barrel distortion at 10mm. However, at half a grand brand new its excellent value for money.

there is also the Tokina 12-24, and Tamron 11-18mm.

read and compare lens performances at www.photozone.de - awesome to check out before one buys a lens

Hey nice work, I dont like footy but can appreciate the clearness :) Like how you black and white everything and colour just one thing!

think i mite stick with the 17-40 purely because i've heard good things and i'm sure in the near future i'l be upgrading to full frame canon so its probably the better option.

what store do you work in cameltoe?

cheers Mandi.

Nice work there.

Looks like you got some skills.

I think you should take pics of my car, as long as there are no fireworks.

haha, yeah man be happy to, im letting Josh borrow my camera soon so he can have a crack but if his shit il do some lol. sure about the fireworks?

okay went to the borossa over the weekend, got a few snaps but wasnt really impressed with what i got, this is probably my favourite but still nothing special, just wondering what people reckon.

borossatreeedit.jpg

okay compression made it look at bit average but you get the idea

I feel it wasn't the right time to take that photo. A little too much light and the top half just doesn't seemed focused. Perhaps try this in black and white.

This is just what i feel man.. sorry

Edit: I saved the picture and did a bit of mucking around in pp. Just increasing the contrast made it look a lot better..

But hmm just my 2 cents man..

Post up some more from the trip!! :)

how come ur not happy with it mate? colours? composition? softness or sharpness? or the overall jpeg output

I have some suggestions but have to know why ur not happy with it lol

i dunno what it is, im just 50-50 about it being boring or interesting, sliddr your definitely right about the focus issues, didnt notice it til i got home unfortunately, i had a go in black and white but i kinda like the contrast between the cliff and the blue sky, thats why i think your edit works as it brings them out a lot more so cheers for that.

but yeh everytime i look at it i think is this a decent well thought out shot or is it just a aim and shoot pic of a tree lol, maybe im just cooked.