Sign in to follow this  
mrwindsurf

Stock 180 type x or S14

Hey all,

I'm looking a buying either a 180 type x or an s14 soon and seeing as they are both in the same price range I was wondering, which people thought was the better of the two. I’d be looking at something around 96-97. I did a search to find the stock standard times 0-100 ect but didn’t find anything. Also I’m not too fussed about looks more about the tune ability of the cars and if one handles better than the other.

Any input would be a big help, thanks

Andrew

both cars are pretty much the same performance wise, and also modification wise, parts are relatively the same price, eg. turbo upgrades, coilovers etc. id probably choose the s14 over the type x, because of things like the bigger brakes already on it, slightly more powerful, five stud, so its easier to get nice size wheels etc.

it pretty much comes down to which body shape you prefer :yes:

I personally like the shape/kit of the type x.

but s14 is definitley a better platfrom.

the chassis is pretty much a s15. except with the s15 they added more bracing.

and they use a more modern suspension set-up. they also have a wider wheelbase.

and not to mention better breaks.. more power from standard.. etc

+interior is better quality.

5 stud and bigger brakes is a big plus on an S14 - so much easyier to find wheels!

OK so all in all, s14 has better breaks and 5stud also a minimal amount more pwr in stock form. Thats it?

hmmm well I do love the look of the type x and with 5stud conversions and break upgrade then there would be not really all that much difference.

Yeh, imo... s14's have everything a little bit better than the 180,

5 stud, turbo, vvt? rigidity, brakes, more track, its Newer, etc? im sure theres more..

BUT, with alot of the differences if you have any intention in modifying the car, you'll change alot of the components anyway, with something better than the s14 parts,

i looove the look of 180's, can fit so many tyres in the rear being a coupe.. i couldnt imagine swapping it for an s14/15, im too attatched to it :P

Yeh, imo... s14's have everything a little bit better than the 180,

5 stud, turbo, vvt? rigidity, brakes, more track, etc? im sure theres more..

BUT, with alot of the differences if you have any intention in modifying the car, you'll change alot of the components anyway, with something better than the s14 parts,

i looove the look of 180's, can fit so many tyres in the rear being a coupe.. i couldnt imagine swapping it for an s14/15, im too attatched to it :P

Thats it I'm planning on modding what i buy so yeh basically it was just to see if i was overlooking something major, also with my current car (st162 celica) the 180 will be same shape.

thats the one thing im going to miss when i sell the 180

i could fit 2 17in rims and 8 15in rims with just the rear seat and parcel tray taken out

im going s14 though now

haha jeebus, thats alot of rims, i can fit 6 quite easily with tools without taking anything out,

Sold the 180 yet Locky? - Seperating anything?

Found yourself an s14 yet?

20 questions :P

If it was me i'd be going for a s14. As people have already said, it has 5 stud and bigger brakes. Although the type x looks nicer IMO.

180 not sold yet :(

not looking seriously at a s14 till then and not seperating till the 180 is sold (wil sell some leftover bits if i dont want them)

tyres its like tetris :P

1 17 in boot well

1 17 in boot

1 15 in boot

3 behind each seat (with a towel or something to protect them)

then 1 in the gap between

jack under the rear strut brace

rest of tools/ random stuff in passanger foot well

yes i do have mad skillz :lol:

IMO the type x looks hot stock man, love the car but im also the owner of one! :)

both cars are pretty much the same performance wise, and also modification wise, parts are relatively the same price, eg. turbo upgrades, coilovers etc. id probably choose the s14 over the type x, because of things like the bigger brakes already on it, slightly more powerful, five stud, so its easier to get nice size wheels etc.

it pretty much comes down to which body shape you prefer :yes:

I have a 180sx. I liked the look, and knowing that if something was "lacking" to me upgrades were cheap, easy, and plentiful.

I also preferred the shape. Frankly i think s13's look cheap, and s14's were too "modern", I wanted something a bit sleek/retroish.

Mine's not a type X and won't be getting the beauty pagent treatment. IT looks like a sleek, oldish but sporty car and I like it.

As such, i've been hassled exactly twice by the police, once with with a blown turbo gasket (loud) and once was simply an RBT.

Type-x's do look all kinds of awesome in the right colour, mind.

But.

s14's.

-Newer, less fatigued everything, chassis, brakes, bushes, et.c

-More solid, dont have a hatch and the heavy rear glass.

-Better brakes

-Better (faster) engine, Variable gizmos, better turbos, etc.

-Nicer interior, stock.

-5 stud, more rim choice, stock.

Thats about it really.

Personally if your not SOLD on thee S series and won't be modifying your car much, if at all, i'd really consider a skyline. Stock for stock it's got better brakes, engine, chassis, and isn't *Really* much bigger.

I prefer the smaller cars though. More "Darty".

I was originally in the market for a type x.

After 6 months of searching and only finding cars that were either thrashed, not good mechanically or had been in accidents i was put off a little.

Came home one day after looking at a 180, jumped on carsales and found an s14 right around the corner from me.

I thought sure why not.

It was the first s14 i looked at and ever drove. I instantly fell in love with it so i bought it.

After a few months of owning it i couldn't be happier and i'm actually glad i bought it over a 180.

I guess keep an open mind and go drive a few cars.

Decide what you like better.

^ what you said have some valid points. Even when you make a decision on what you want, searching for the right car can be a tedious process. I was after the GTi-R, S14a, then found my type x because it was the best option as it didn't come up with any issues as oppose to the other cars i looked at. What also help is being able to drive a few different cars of the same model, and comparing them.

what i found out is that once you buy a car that is well looked after and is a good base for you to add personal taste, you start become a fanboy of that particular model. If you start with a lemon, your impression will quickly change. So instead of asking for people's opinion go out every weekend and test drive as many as you can. The more experience you have with the s13/180 and silvia platform, the easier it is to pick out the right car for yourself.

S14, newer and less common

Less common because they are ugly.

and how are they any newer? my type X is a 97.

S14 will be cheaper on insurance but really they look like a road walrus in comparison to a 180.

im another biased 180 driver, but people r talking about the s14 being a new and better platform. Truth is i was looking for an s14 when buying my car, but the more i searched the more i wasnt convinced, they may have bigger brakes, and turbo and 5 stud, but everyone i looked at had over 150,000 kms, and were over priced at the time. A car with that many kms has definately been through its paces and to me equates to maintenance. I found my 180, its no type x, but it had 70,000kms, very straight body, clean interior and a sleek look. to me it was the better option and a better price!

No regrets what so ever, happy as larry!

I had this delema, ended up getting a 2002 ADM S15 :)

Best decision I ever made :yes:

But if thats what ur set, I'd go S14 since it more likely to have genuine km plus a newer platform.

Edited by zav

^^haha

same.

i was sure i wanted a 180.

but they are kinda ageing, which isnt bad. but i didnt wanna have to upgrade parts unless they were performance.

180 is the best option outta s14 and 180 (comment is based on looks)

:lol:

based on looks id pick a type x

they look hot :)

then a s14a

then a s14

I had this delema, ended up getting a 2002 ADM S15 :)

Best decision I ever made :yes:

But if thats what ur set, I'd go S14 since it more likely to have genuine km plus a newer platform.

LOL same

S15 pisses on both

wow, thanks for all the comments. Well I do think that the 180 type x looks a lot better than s14, although s14a looks quite nice. I don't have the cash for a s15. I guess I should do what most people have suggested and go and test drive a whole bunch of 180's and s14's then if one pops up that i fall in love with I'll be able to buy knowing that its better than the other one.

S14, newer and less common

Less common because they are ugly.

and how are they any newer? my type X is a 97.

S14 will be cheaper on insurance but really they look like a road walrus in comparison to a 180.

I think you will find the majority of S14s are newer than 180s.

And maybe S14s think you're ugly too ;)

Personal preference at the end of the day kiddies

wow, thanks for all the comments. Well I do think that the 180 type x looks a lot better than s14, although s14a looks quite nice. I don't have the cash for a s15. I guess I should do what most people have suggested and go and test drive a whole bunch of 180's and s14's then if one pops up that i fall in love with I'll be able to buy knowing that its better than the other one.

I never wanted a type X (hated the body kit and the spoiler) when to look at one and the importer used the wrong picture (it looks like a regular 180) and then when I got there I put a deposit on it. you start off like the look of a car in general, then you start looking/driving them and you find one that just fits.