Sign in to follow this  
ted

the bmx thread

and our MTB trials at marist are pretty good to, even on a bmx, theres some hips n shit i do,

marist, thats what its called, where it starts to level off towards the end there are some decent sized doubles there, cought me by surprise as it was quite overgrown at the time

TED do you have a rough break down of the cost of each part..

im 6'4" so id like a big frame....

where is the beast place in Adl to get the parts from or should i buy everything off of the net??

I used to ride flatland when I was in my teens on a Hoffman Sugarbaby (super short). Massive LOL @ it now as it looks so ancient compared to newer bikes, although I had so much fun rolling and scuffing around carparks and in mates driveways. So many classic stacks on that bike including wallride to faceplant at a train station and landing on my back at Knox bowl. It's probably why I ended up sticking to flatland as I'm so unco and got tired of getting totalled.

I completely stripped and rebuilt the bike recently and gave it to a young dude that I know who was going through a bit of a rough time and it was so satisfying seeing the bike loved again, which is better than collecting dust.

Got a roadie and a MTB but I really miss the massive 'missions' traversing halfway across the city with a bunch of mates to ride bowls and parks.

Ted: do you think that bikes and parts are a lot cheaper and a lot more readily available than in the 90's? Maybe it was a case of me being so much poorer back then, but not many people have 3-pce cranks and stuff that it par for the course on $500+ bikes these days. Although it looks like far fewer bikes are full 4130 cr-mo these days, I dunno.

where is the beast place in Adl to get the parts from or should i buy everything off of the net??

with the us exchange rate being as high as it is (though its dropping now) it can work out cheaper buying form the us, ive got some clothes/ shoes etc and my brothers got bmx parts off this site http://www.danscomp.com/

should give you an idea of the prices, but you gotta add shipping

So many classic stacks on that bike including wallride to faceplant at a train station and landing on my back at Knox bowl. It's probably why I ended up sticking to flatland as I'm so unco and got tired of getting totalled.

:lol: good old knox bowl, back in the day if you spent half a day there you guaranteed to see someone steal a car and drop circles on the gravel and some junky slappers asking for bus change.

I always liked those rolling tailwhips they do in flatland, I can't stay on the front wheel longer than a few secs though haha

another mail order shop is albes.com

like others have said, you can save alot by buying from the us.

dans-i hate them, theyre owned by a huge corporation that has nothing to do with bmx.

ive used empire (empirebmx.com) and they are awesome. bought my mates complete bike from there, theyre in it for the bmx, not the money, unlike dans.

if your over 6foot you would want a 21inch frame, or even 21.25. i ride a 20.8inch frame. which is about standard size (standard american size is 20.75).

rough idea of prices: (ill do it all in aus prices that you would pay from a local shop)

frame: anywhere between $400-$800

fork: about $200

bars: $130-$170

stem: $90-$120

cranks: around $250-$500(profiles) if you want to buy any profile stuff buy it from overseas, way too expensive to buy it here.

pedals: $20(pc)-$120(sealed mag)

sprocket: $60-150

seat: $40ish

seatpost: $20-$60

seatpost clamp: $15-$40ish

front wheel: too many variables

back wheel: as above

chain: $15ish

grips: $10-25ish

tyres: usually about $30-$40

Ted: do you think that bikes and parts are a lot cheaper and a lot more readily available than in the 90's? Maybe it was a case of me being so much poorer back then, but not many people have 3-pce cranks and stuff that it par for the course on $500+ bikes these days. Although it looks like far fewer bikes are full 4130 cr-mo these days, I dunno.

definetly alot easier and cheaper to build a bike now then in the 90s.

alot of complete bmxs are coming with full 4130 frame/fork/bars etc. with basically everything be made in taiwan it makes everything so much cheaper to make, and therefore sell.

I used to ride back in the day, around the time city skate first opened. Back when people like Paul CRudd and Toby Allender were the shit. I think I rode city skate maybe once or twice. We used to have or own trails up the top of Morphett rd. I ended up giving it up cause I was completely over all of the wankers you used to have to deal with. They would come ride your trails and all they would do is give ya shit, no respect at all. ahh memories.

I have met quite a few riders these days, a whole lot better crew. I must say one thing though geez mozzy is good.

haha. paul still rides, so does toby.

you heard of the trees?

Yea I still see toby round the place out on the piss mostly. Yea the tree's is just down the road from my place, used to ride there a little. Always the case of so much potential if they could actually be assed finishing a set before they moved onto something else.

rollin down the street, Wheelys on the front, Wheelys on the front. Dyno wit the black mags, black mags, black mags.

fresh outa the 80's with the cool kids - black mags.

I've always wanted to get into BMX, looks like lots of fun.

Regretting not buying a bike I saw a while ago for about a grand.

Any of you guys know where you can get a second hand one from?

Im going to post my hardtail even though its not a BMX :P

422a64bd.jpg

And here is the spec list I made for insurance back in the day (cant remember exactly what time I made that list, a couple years ago now)

speclist.jpg

Was there any gain in putting triples on a hardtail? Im not having a go at you, just dont really see the point. I mean triples weigh a fair bit more than a pair of single crowns meaning a front end heavy bike. The only benefit i can see would be the fact that you have a shit load of travel, but that would be travel that wouldnt really be needed unless your riding trails, big drops, long jumps etc. But that would normally be the reason you buy a soft tail.

Sorry bud, thats just my opinion, not having a go at you or anything.

Are there any advantages youve noticed over running shorter travelled forks? Other than adjusting the head angle? I would be interested to know :)

Putting that behind us, that is a nice spec list. Especially the profile cranks!

I have never heard of Le Toy, but just did a quick google. They look the goods. A majority of the frames seem as if they would be best suited for park/dj, then looking at how thick the down tube is, you could easily put those things on trials with out feeling unsafe!

Good to see someone else on the forum that rides dh and races too lol :)

Ive been racing in the sunshine series here in Qld for a few years, and managed to do a few hardtail events. Kudos the guys that race hardtails, my ankles ahve never felt so brittle until after a hardtail event!

Are you a member on farkin at all?

In terms of brakes, go a set of the avid juicy sevens or the code . I can gaurantee you wont regret it!

i had the sevens on my stp, and just upgraded them to the codes, and my dh came stock with the codes. Awesome feel, great stopping power etc

Ha!, horizontal drop outs scare me!! too many times have i riden without locking nuts on the rear, rear wheels etches itself forward, the kazaam, go to pedal and you have a shit load of slack, and straight over the bars!!

Vertical drops FTW :)

Mite update a spec list of my babies later tonight.

I used to ride BMX (my bike is a 1999 model GT BUMP Dirt Jump)

here is a photo from back in the day (I would have been 15 or so...24 now)!

n532720200_1177167_4364.jpg

Now i have a matt black 2008 giant STP2, here is a clip:

(im on the black bike, this is some jumps we built up basically for 2 days until a motor bike came through and trashed them)

Dan your bike looks awesome!

I was swapping over my pineapples today and got the urge to try out bunnyhop-whips, only got em 3/4 way round before retiring to the concrete.

My ghetto destroyer, rust has no effect on it haha

pushy.jpg

n532720200_1177167_4364.jpg

(im on the black bike, this is some jumps we built up basically for 2 days until a motor bike came through and trashed them)

sik vid bro

how old are you ?

post-20968-1220082325_thumb.jpg

sik vid bro

how old are you ?

Yeh im on the green Norco in the video.

we are 24 and 25 years old

^^^COP? :lol:

sik vid bro

how old are you ?

Haven't we already gone through this ^_^

Digging up the dead.

I have decided im going to buy a bmx. Been going out with a friend and riding his bike at parks lately. Im hooked.

I don't know to much about brands/specs atm as im new to it but i seen this on the CM bmx site. What do yous think? http://cmbmx.com.au/product/product.php?pr...at=3&page=1

I think that ill buy a complete and add better parts ect ect as i get better and learn more.

can't beat the value of a complete

unless you're getting serious you don't need any more than that

man i want one so bad. gotta wait till i come home from my OS trip though..

ill get my 3 cents in on this one lol

http://www.strictlybmx.com/categories.asp?cID=93

id recomend

wethepeople envy (brakeless bike tho)

wethepeople 4seasons

or one of the fit bikes

prk3 2009

sig-prk

sig-trl

all of them are 2009 models and have some good savings on them

oh and here are some shots of my bike

02052009059.jpg

02052009060.jpg

02052009062.jpg

02052009061.jpg

endlss: it's been a few years since I was on the scene but what's the idea behind riding brakeless, as in what's the advantage? Would've thought it would be limiting when considering tricks like ice-picks and even front-wheel manuals and anything involving mini-ramp or vert etc.

BTW I see Subrosa make a fixie, those damn sellouts ;)

can't beat the value of a complete

unless you're getting serious you don't need any more than that

man i want one so bad. gotta wait till i come home from my OS trip though..

Complete is definitely the way to go unless you have a large amount of knowledge of parts, etc. Although if you build it yourself, the satisfaction is a lot higher.

I built my last downhill bike from the frame up and chose every single part myself.

It's the most awesome hardtail build that I know of as everything just matches perfectly, and I chose it all myself :D lol

i scored a diamond back mr lucky few weeks back, took it down the skate park and ended up on my arse in about 2 mins :lol: but was a hoot.

looked at new parts, there's so many new brands now compared to when i used to ride, like back in 2000ish. any recommendations?

I still have my Torker Kickback freestyle frame in the shed. Very tempting to rebuild it, but f*ck it's heavy. Chromeolly frame will never break though ;)

any good web sites to get MTB stuff....

Speak to VR4 Nut... He would know...

I ordered all of my parts online for my whole bike when I built it. Definitely the way to go if you know what you're after. Although mine came from a bike shop in New York lol. I can't remember any aussie sites anymore, and if they're still around... Its been years.