Sign in to follow this  
Siddr20

The random photography thread

discussion in this thread mate, pics in other thread, from what i've gathered (nice pic of the fd though :P)

Check out the sticky thread on here gravy posted!! Explains everything..

oh ive read it, multiple times :lol: but surprisingly it doesnt go into that much detail with the numbers.

Thanks sidd

Does anyone know if the hot-shoe on a 30d is same as 40d??

Does anyone know if the hot-shoe on a 30d is same as 40d??

its the same mate :) its pretty much standardized across all modern DSLRs, where I can take a canon flash on my 5D, wack it on a pentax or nikon body and use it in manual mode fine - which I had to do last weekend at the wedding shoot

took some pics today at barbagello, round 2 of the WA drift series

any feedback is welcome! all photos taken on a D60 with 55-200 nikkor

hey dori king, are those photos taken with 1/20 shutter speed?

^ if you have firefox install the exif plugin.

You can basically just right click the file and go summary.

OR you can just save the file onto your computer.. right click and view summary - advanced.

It will show you all the EXIF data if its intact.

hey mate, I recommend the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM, optically its on par and sometimes exceed the canon L 70-200 too at 1/3 the price

I can sell a brand new one to u for 1K or so from my store with 12 months warranty from CR Kennedy in Australia, so its not an import lens.

on ur dads 450D it will turn into a 112-320 lens due to the 1.6x crop factor of the 450D, so it will reach further and faster aperture than the 55-250, but with no IS as compromise.

Sigma makes some excellent lenses that are sometimes better than canon L equivalents, thus u save a lot of money if u can look past the brand snobbery.

I had another look at the zoom on the stock lense today, and couldn't imagine an extra 70mm being all that much. I had a look on the sigma website and saw what i think is the lense you suggested

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_al...amp;navigator=3

I also found these three, which should add a decent bit of zoom, but wasnt sure how much of a compromise it is getting higher zoom but also lower lense opening (with the smallest number/ largest opening being f4).

In regards to the prices, are they relatively similar to what is shown on the site? And do sigma provide any warranty of their own? or is it like you said 12 months through your store?

Thanks. (If you dont mind helping again)

LOL the 70-200 shows on that website for $1200USD, thats nearly 2k in AUD here! where I can get it for half price pretty much

so to answer ur question, the pricing on the site is not an accurate measurement of pricing in Aus:) And my store warranty is the same as Sigma Australia, u can send it urself to CR Kennedy or we send it for u, as long as u have the receipt and warranty card

the 100-300 F4 is one of the greatest and most respected Sigma lenses ever, and performs better than the Canon 100-400 L IS, but on a non full frame camera, ur looking at a pretty long focal length already....

the 150-500 is ok, but u might as well get the 50-500 Sigma for the wider focal length, excellent lens for outdoors and animals etc, near impossible to use indoors due to focal length and size and small aperture

Alright so if the choice is between the 100-300 and the 50-500, i gather the the 50-500 would be the way to go due to wider angle/ longer range but also taking into account the downside of size and weight as both have the same price on that website. Itt would primarily be used for outdoor photography.

Also, i was initially under the impression that you worked for CR Kennedy, am i wrong?

And would it be possible for you to give me a rough price on the two lenses stated above? PM me if you want.

Thanks a lot mate. :thumbsup:

took some pics today at barbagello, round 2 of the WA drift series

any feedback is welcome! all photos taken on a D60 with 55-200 nikkor

hey dori king, are those photos taken with 1/20 shutter speed?

pretty sure 1/200 at around F12

^ if you have firefox install the exif plugin.

You can basically just right click the file and go summary.

OR you can just save the file onto your computer.. right click and view summary - advanced.

It will show you all the EXIF data if its intact.

thanks for that sidd

i tried taking those type of pix where you snap the subject (ie. car) and the background & wheels are blurred, but the result i get is shit.

any tips?

^ panning panning panning :)

Takes a while to get it right!!

Im sure there are plenty of tuts on the net.

N OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just broke my brand new cir-polarizing..

I finished a shoot and wanted to take the filter off.. It just wouldn't come out :(

Somehow i pulled the whole top half out of it - the bit that rotates

Now i cant get it back in, with the washer thingy or spring..

Anyone know how to fix it?

i tried for like 30mins trying to get it all together, but no luck :(

UTRIED - how is the photo shit? Are you talking about similar to "Dori King"'s shots up top in the 1st post?

What i do basically is slow down the shutter and obviously adjust the aperture to suit.

Yeh its all practice though.. cause you have to get used to pivoting your body or atleast arms. Not hands/wrists.

Hey Camel Toe... or anyone else that might be able to help :P, do you have any second hand BG-E3 (350D) grips or cheap newbies at the moment or suggest where i could get one?

I got for sale a 4GB Dick Smith brand CF memory card - 4GBs.

Only used twice and only filled up say 1gbs max.

price: 30 bucks if anyone wants it

Received as a present from a friend of mine.. Dont need it

what an odd looking little gadget :P could be handy for the horizon shots on a tripod...would be pretty tricky to line up a shot handheld tho :P, then move your eye from the eyepiece and then balance all the bubbles then shoot hehe, def handy for on a tripod use tho :P

u could put a piece of string under your finger on the top of the camera and dangle it down the side, tie a nut on the bottom of it and then u can line the body up with the vertical piece of string :P

^ for 22 bucks or something it would be pretty cool to have tho!!

maybe even a good bday present for someone :P

AHhaah i like your old school idea of a string and nut.. hahahah made me laugh so hard!!

Basti - thanks for the link!! Man thats awesome quality!!

have 450D, nifty 50, 18-55kit lens, 73-300kit lens, 100 1:2.8 macro. i'd like something wider (lens) maybe, but i dont have a flash. what would you get first?

all set for my Japan trip, bought a sigma 24-70 yesterday, got a couple of 4gigs, a mates 70-200 2.8, tripod and 30D. i think that should just about do it, just need a decent bag for it all now. am i forgetting anything?

all set for my Japan trip, bought a sigma 24-70 yesterday, got a couple of 4gigs, a mates 70-200 2.8, tripod and 30D. i think that should just about do it, just need a decent bag for it all now. am i forgetting anything?

separate insurance for all the gear:) and a wide angle lens since u have none :lol: will regret it later when u walk around the streets or seeing the landscape

and a hydration system i mount in my backpack or camera bag so i can walk around and shoot without having to reach for a water bottle :)

Same im all set for my Europe trip!! Bought a lowepro bag which holds my camera and other stuff :)

I bought 2 4gb cards. Got a 2gb card already.. and a 32mb card hahahah (canon card)

I got 400 to spent on sigma 70-70, but i dont know if i should.. 400 bucks is a lot and i can use that for europe.. hmmm decisions decisions!!

Same im all set for my Europe trip!! Bought a lowepro bag which holds my camera and other stuff :)

I bought 2 4gb cards. Got a 2gb card already.. and a 32mb card hahahah (canon card)

I got 400 to spent on sigma 70-70, but i dont know if i should.. 400 bucks is a lot and i can use that for europe.. hmmm decisions decisions!!

hehe, its a nice lens :P and u can claim back the GST at the airport when you go :P thats what i did, thats $40 u get back :P

im going with a mate who's got a massive setup so if need be il just snatch his gear, and im going in december so its going to be freezing, insurance is all organized, made sure of that as im going snowboarding and i have a legnthy history of injuries lol.

hehe, its a nice lens :P and u can claim back the GST at the airport when you go :P thats what i did, thats $40 u get back :P

How did you do that? can i claim my 40d like this? I bought it two months ago..

nope, gotta be less than 30 days before u fly to claim it back, there is a claim office inside the terminal (after customs) u take them the invoice, and the item to prove you are taking it, and they will credit u back the GST :P

can be any amount over $300 from the same store on one invoice, and u have to show u are taking it all :P

How did you do that? can i claim my 40d like this? I bought it two months ago..

haha too late! has to be 4 weeks before u go and u need to everything on the receipt u have bought to show them that

u get 10% back, and the money will either be a cheque or credited into your account.

unlike the old days where its wrapped up and sealed and u can only open it once u get on the plane, imagine having to learn how to use a camera hrs before your trip starts!

Sign in to follow this