Sign in to follow this  
DISH-oh

Anyone from cairns?

Hi guys, got a trip to cairns booked for next week.

Just wondering if anyone from there or who has been there a bit knows of any good places to eat, or attractions that are good but lesser known to tourists that we might not have heard about.

We're doing the obligatory snorkel, train thing up the mountain, boat rides etc, is there anything else im missing?

Also, is there anywhere to hire some jetski's or little boats to drive around, or is that too optimistic?

I've had a look in the hotspot thread but thats all GC/ bris stuff. And stunnr's thread was more so about clubs/ pubs.

Someone mentioned fresh water springs in stunnr's thread... where abouts? I loved the ones throughout NT like mataranka, daily etc, would like to go to some more

Thanks for any info,

Pete.

haha fresh watering holes..............(pubs)

yeah there will be places you can hire boats and stuff... obviously someone will need their boat licence i'd think... just check out places around the city, heaps of that kinda touristy stuff. And check out some places on the esplanade. when i got my boat licence it was from a little boatshed thing on the jetty to the right of the "pier" shopping centre (next to the jetty).. you should just ask around people near the Pier.. (you'll find one)

As for watering springs and stuff, maybe try "ross and locke" out in gordonvale, its like a little creek thing but dont expect too much. I dont know any other places but the local cairns ppl will help u out more

as for other touristy things,

-if you want to learn about aboriginals, go to tjapukai, its a pretty big tourist centre

-next door to that is a nice man-made ski water park which is pretty fun but u could do that anywhere around australia

-go to Port douglas (nice drive up there) (1hr north of cairns)

-check out the tablelands if you have enough time

-definitely go see the reef, snorkelling or scuba diving for a day or two

-like u said hire a boat go fishing or cruising around

-maybe jetskis? I dont know where you'd hire them though, ask at the place i told u above

Have fun :)

-next door to that is a nice man-made ski water park which is pretty fun but u could do that anywhere around australia

Last time i was therewe that thing had so many toads in it it wasnt funny lol

I frequent up there for work and my old man lives there so i know it pretty well

Definately go see the tablelands, the reef, and port douglas (pretty fun drive) IMO cairns city itself doesnt offer much

Plenty of awesome waterfalls around the tablelands if your down for a drive

Also paranella park(sp?) is this rad spanish castle thing in the rainforest thats worth a look

Giligans is the best pub in town for talent ;)

mmm backpackers

pardon my ignorance, but whats the table lands? Is it just where it flattens out if you head west for a bit?

Thanks for help guys, my mate went up there a month ago and said the wakeboard park thing was cool, dunno how ill go on it though :S:lol:

With the reef we booked a boat that goes as far out as possible, outer reef i think as they said theres less chance of stingers, (only the start of the season i know).

Also are there any good restuarants to eat, like in darwin and perth we went to seafood smorgasboards as it was all local and fresh, anything like that around cairns?

Keep the help coming guys, really appreciate it ;)

tablelands is just like an area, dunno where even tho i've lived there for 18 yrs? Its like, westish, f*cks me, but everyone knows it..... i havent been in AGES

And restaurants..... HEAPS

all in the city mainly... its easily walking distance so just walk around til u find one u like, on the esplanade mainly..

"Barnacle Bills" used to be awesome back in the day, haven't been for ages though (think its on the esplanade)

"donnini's" in the pier is a nice Italian restaurant

"charlies" i think its called, nice seafood buffet (its always advertised on 2nd page of the paper lol)

Im pretty sure that the tablelands (atherton tablelands) refers to the area west of cairns thats like a geographic plateau

Ie ravenshoe, australias highest town i think

oh and with the wakeboarding, you can start out on a knee board to get used to the feel of it, if you so choose

tablelands is just like an area, dunno where even tho i've lived there for 18 yrs? Its like, westish, f*cks me, but everyone knows it..... i havent been in AGES

And restaurants..... HEAPS

all in the city mainly... its easily walking distance so just walk around til u find one u like, on the esplanade mainly..

"Barnacle Bills" used to be awesome back in the day, haven't been for ages though (think its on the esplanade)

"donnini's" in the pier is a nice Italian restaurant

"charlies" i think its called, nice seafood buffet (its always advertised on 2nd page of the paper lol)

Unfortunately Charlies has gone a bit downhill in recent years :(... good pick on the other places though. There are plenty of good places for food up this way, this site is good for finding places though: Cairns Dining. Also try the Pier Bar at the Pier Marketplace (small touristy shopping centre along the Esplanade), they do some really nice home style Pizza's cooked in a proper pizza oven.

If you like swimming I definitely recommend going to some of the fresh water swimming holes, though the best ones (IMO) are a bit further south of Cairns, about an hours drive to most, but definitely worth the trip. Try the Boulders, which is in Babinda, about 3/4 of an hours drive along the highway south of Cairns, head up the main street and keep following the main road, you can't miss it. Josephine Falls is another awesome spot, keep heading south past Babinda, you'll come to another small town called Miriwinni, keep heading past that about 2 mins and there is a turn off to Bartle Frere (can't remember if it says Josephine Falls or not) follow the main road until you get to the turn off, OR keep following the road to get to Golden Hole, which is another really nice one.

advan, you were close, Ravenshoe is Queensland's highest town, Australia's highest is in NSW somewhere. The tablelands are west of Cairns and is a pretty nice drive, also has some more agricultural style tourist attractions (mango wine). There's heaps to do up this way!

awesome reply ^, cant wait to go for a dip in some of the freshy pools.

And if the charlies is the same chain as the one in adelaide then yeah, not bad for value for money, but equally nothing special...

Another question, i'm suspecting yes, but are the insects quite bad up there? like lots of mozzies?

(anywhere to take the hire car for a 'spin' ? :ph34r::lol: )

haha i have never noticed anything about mozzies or anything. unless of course you go out bush or out in the mangroves or something. just cairns isn't mozzie'ville though.

and AMEN to babinda "boulders" thats a must for you man if you wanna check out a nice swimmin hole

Yeah nah insects aren't really that bad up here, as 1onenil0 said its mostly around bush and mangrove areas you'll see mozzies and sand flies. Plenty of insects on the road at night but if your travelling along the highway, especially after its been raining :S...

Take the hire car for a spin around the Tablelands, head up the Kurranda ranges from Cairns and come back through the Palmerston, you'll hit the highway again just north of Innisfail. Plenty of little tourist stop offs too doing that drive, the new Mamu Rainforest Walkway along the Palmerston on your way down for example. Then as your heading north back along the highway towards Cairns, stop in at Josephine Falls and the Boulders.

awesome, thanks for that. Sounds like this boulders place is pretty good, definately be going there.