Sign in to follow this  
OFFTAP_SR

how to become a DJ

hi all,

want to get into DJing just wondering how i could start off got no experiance :(

i live in adelaide

help from actual DJs that currently DJ would be excelent

cheers

step 1: buy 'how to DJ for dummy's' book

step 2: buy some 1200's

step 3: try to DJ but realise you cant be fuked

step 4: ????

step 5: profit?

step 4: ????

step 5: profit?

:P

just get an old wireless and put a whole bunch of dials buttons an knobs on it and then go to you cd player put in a ministry of sound cd and twist the dials and knobs to the beat youll get the hang of it oh and get your sisters head phones ...... the key here is to only ever wear one ear peice at a time, and for style points bite your tounge it makes it look like your actually doing something all the while nodding your head like a douche-just agree with the crowd a heap

step 4: try to sell on ebay

step 5: get ripped off and discover you just lost a shitload of money and kinda wish you hadnt got them in the first place.....

fixed..

:lol:

Edited by gravy

dude....check out Apollo DJ's

run by professor x and dj even

Because this forum cant play serious, I guess I'll actually take this guy up.

You just dont 'become' a DJ, you need to know your direction and you need to know what youre doing (der). A billion questions come to my head onto what you want to achieve out of it which havent been answered because all you said was 'i want to be a DJ'.

What genres do you want to play? Do you research these genres with great analysis and keep up to date with what is coming out?

What kind of gear do you want to use, CDs or vinyl? What kind of budget for gear are you looking at? DJing is expensive. I hope you have a few grand to drop into half decent gear.

Do you have the patience and the musical knowledge already to teach yourself how to beat mach and mix or do you need to pay some jerk off to teach them their style of how to mix rather than develop the style that suits you? DJ schools are for fame struck kids with not enough patience and sense to train their eyes themselves. There is only one way to learn how to match - PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Are you in this just for fun and to express yourself with the music that you enjoy or do you have ambitions of being a big household name? (if you are purely in it for number 2, get out, fame mongering is for posers and if you think that pressing play on some CDJs without caring for the music itself then you will never succeed because you will never be pushing yourself to understand music).

Do you have friends who are also DJing? If not, get some. Borrow their shit and have a go. Then these mates can give you pointers along the way on what and what not to do, then point you in the direction of other mates who can get you gigs if you spend the next 12 months practicing on weekends instead of going out and getting pissed.

Final thing, do not bother with using a PC to mix your tracks, thats like playing Gran Turismo in B-spec mode, it isnt real DJing and only people who cant be f**ked mixing properly, or who cant mix properly full stop use a PC to do their dirty work (no I am not meaning Serato / Torq users in this statement).

get some cheap cd players a 2 channel mixer and learn to beat match... once u can do this try n work on ur mixing skills record a demo n see how u go.

just need alot of practise

Are you in this just for fun and to express yourself with the music that you enjoy

hypothetically, assuming this ^^^, but creating music i enjoy eg, aphex twin's stuff. where would i even start? i understand that a LOT of his stuff would already be sampled, but i'm certain that a fair chunk of it's original sound...

Because this forum cant play serious, I guess I'll actually take this guy up.

You just dont 'become' a DJ, you need to know your direction and you need to know what youre doing (der). A billion questions come to my head onto what you want to achieve out of it which havent been answered because all you said was 'i want to be a DJ'.

What genres do you want to play? Do you research these genres with great analysis and keep up to date with what is coming out?

What kind of gear do you want to use, CDs or vinyl? What kind of budget for gear are you looking at? DJing is expensive. I hope you have a few grand to drop into half decent gear.

Do you have the patience and the musical knowledge already to teach yourself how to beat mach and mix or do you need to pay some jerk off to teach them their style of how to mix rather than develop the style that suits you? DJ schools are for fame struck kids with not enough patience and sense to train their eyes themselves. There is only one way to learn how to match - PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Are you in this just for fun and to express yourself with the music that you enjoy or do you have ambitions of being a big household name? (if you are purely in it for number 2, get out, fame mongering is for posers and if you think that pressing play on some CDJs without caring for the music itself then you will never succeed because you will never be pushing yourself to understand music).

Do you have friends who are also DJing? If not, get some. Borrow their shit and have a go. Then these mates can give you pointers along the way on what and what not to do, then point you in the direction of other mates who can get you gigs if you spend the next 12 months practicing on weekends instead of going out and getting pissed.

Final thing, do not bother with using a PC to mix your tracks, thats like playing Gran Turismo in B-spec mode, it isnt real DJing and only people who cant be f**ked mixing properly, or who cant mix properly full stop use a PC to do their dirty work (no I am not meaning Serato / Torq users in this statement).

^^^You speak mountains of truth!

Further to what boxhead has written:

Don't run out and buy the most expensive shit out there because it is "industry standard"

The money you save from not buying "industry standard" equipment can be put into buying music ( head to beatport NOW!)

Beatmatching is one thing.... look to mix songs with similar key (mixedinkey is your friend here)

watch other dj's do their thing and learn what they are doing and why they are doing it.

Listen to mixed cd's really closely and work out when the next song is being mixed in and/or what effects they are using

think of your music collection like superannuation.... fkn important and you want it to grow as large as possible

they are just a few pointers... i'm sure people can add a few more.

Using programs like traktor helped me a bit simply because you can see the wave form and you can experiment more easily with what works and what doesn't.

most important tip i can offer is:

PROTECT YOUR EARS

get some decent ear plugs cause things do get loud and u wil damage your hearing over time.

where u located??? ive got 2x 1200's, 2x cdj1000's and serato

if your in sydney im happy to show you

Can you buy equipment that allows you to produce your own tracks, rather then mixing, that isnt way way to expensive (around the 2k mark) ?

where u located??? ive got 2x 1200's, 2x cdj1000's and serato

if your in sydney im happy to show you

hi all,

i live in adelaide

cheers

Can you buy equipment that allows you to produce your own tracks, rather then mixing, that isnt way way to expensive (around the 2k mark) ?

Buy some software (Cubase, Reason, Albeton etc) and maybe a keyboard - but be prepared to sign away alot of your social life in order how to teach yourself producing. :P

Buy some software (Cubase, Reason, Albeton etc) and maybe a keyboard - but be prepared to sign away alot of your social life in order how to teach yourself producing. :P

its funny cause its true.. :(:S:lol:

don't buy anything yet.

Since your in Adelaide go to either new yorks (thurs night), dog n duck, duke of york and talk to the dj's/mc's there and ask how to get in contact with the griffin alliance (group of dj's working around Adelaide).

they offer lessons, advice, work and are all good blokes/girls. They will see if you got what it takes to be a working dj in their group and once you get good you will get work around the place if that's what you want.

It's simple. If you're really into it and REALLY wanna do it, you'll find your own way. Boxhead offered some good advice tho. Please for the love of god, try not to act all cool n that because you get a set of turntables / cdj's. Being a DJ does not make you cool. Most DJ's are giant nerds. I'm not excluding myself from that either.

Please for the love of god, try not to act all cool n that because you get a set of turntables / cdj's. Being a DJ does not make you cool. Most DJ's are giant nerds. I'm not excluding myself from that either.

Hahaha its so true, like that song

"Back in the day, DJs were nerds who liked music in a weird way"

But that depends on your definition of a DJ. Someone who plays at weddings and normal mainstream club sets can be any old jock. Proper music enthusiasts that play real DJ sets are the true nerds - and you need to be, because your own self-analysis is so important.

you'll find talking to people at most clubs, are fairly friendly. yes, there are a fair share of douche's, but just ask nicely and ye usually recieve.

Cant speak highly enough of the Griffin alliance guys, they got me into the whole realm, opportunity came knocking with a different set of guys (read, i dont work for griffin) but Griffin have never done me wrong.

I've been in the game for about 3 years. Myspace on www.myspace.com/liquidity or look up dj liquidity on facebook. omfg yes, it finds me, i can tell you how if you pm me :P

Few pointers.

1- If you want to do it for a living, you WILL have to take gigs you dont want sometimes.

2- Golden rule in this case. There is no such thing as a bad gig. That shithouse boring wedding you did, might have one of your towns biggest nightclub owners attending who likes your presentation, attitude, and song choice. While drunk, he may hand you a card, and tell you to call him. While that wont get you anywhere in his club, it will give you contacts elsewhere, that will lead to profitable nights, which leads to more 18ths, formals, etc.

Thing such as weddings, while boring, can also pull in up to $1k for standing in a suit and eating their food.

If your not doing anything else on friday night before your "OMFGi'ml33t" club gig or mad formal afterparty, then why the f**k not? you dont ahve to TELL anybody :P

3- When your starting up, smash the 18th/formal crowd. Fucntions.

This gives you a good base to draw out to clubs the year after. you will get experience, you will be less stressed.

4- Marketing. With the internet you can self promote for free.

Smash it, use every gimmick you can think of, without making it look commercial. It's a fine line but its not f**king rocket science.

Get business cards printed in china, and posted over. Paper is paper. China is cheaper than your local print shop. Besides it gives the kids something to do over there.

5- networks. Your a newbie. Even if you think someone is the biggest f**king anal douche you've ever met, just smile. Dont go out your way to bake a cake for them and catch up for crumpets, but dont call them a f**khead, dont disrespect them behind their back or to friends. Theres no point, its wasted effort and that person might just the one who gives you a mad club gig down the track because nobody else wants to be "their friend". This goes for people leaning over your decks with a drink in hand. Always smile, even when telling someone to f**k right off, and make sweet love to the nearest garden rake. People love it when you smile.

6- If you DONT want to do clubs for a living, and want to focus on a genre. GET A DAY JOB. Earn money so you can buy tracks and produce, because you'll never make it big as a NICHE DJ, in amost aussie cities. Not for more than a year or two, at least.

*shrugs* getting the point? If you want to chat, add me on msn. PM me to get my msn address.

Last .but not least. Bring back the fun.

The guys I work with, are some of the best dj's/mc's in town. some of them are not experienced, but we simply have fun.

Theres no politics. Every weekend they pull off the maddest mixes i've ever heard, i'm talking 5 min long live mashups, multiple cue points, effects, you name it.

You know why? We just have fun. We get loose, and let it flow. There IS no pressure, life's a party. The more fun your having, the better you'll be.

Your an entertainer nowadays. Not just a DJ. things are changing. I myself can MC + DJ and I get a hell of a lot more club and function work because of it.

It's all just because i'll talk to anyone and everyone. remember, at the start of the night when nobody's in the mood and drinking, YOU CAN BE.

Make a fool of yourself, have fun, because in less than 2 hours half the party is going to be RIGHT THERE with you, grooving on the d-floro and the other half will be trying to rip off your shirt :P

Everyone wants to be a DJ, and its almost too easy to get started nowadays.

I reckon its only a matter of time before the average wage comes riiiight. down.

Dont leave it another year to get into.

Oh and also keep in mind...there's at least FIFTY others in your area who are just as good as you, if not better. You have to stand out from the rest. Be different. Do something memorable that makes them think of you for next time, just make sure its a good thing. You don't want to be remembered for the time you trainwrecked just as everybody is reaching for the ceiling because you were too lazy to reburn that scratched CD of yours.

The point is to have fun and chances are you'll always need a 9-5 job unless you get into the production side of things and become popular with releases etc. That'll be a long time coming tho. Aim high, but not too high ;)

At the moment I just finished a demo for a DJ comp. Just about to send it off now. The winner gets to play at summafieldayz in the red bull tent! woah!

anyway, in terms of production, get yourself a midi keyboard (axiom25 or 49 is a good start) and some software, and a pair of cheap monitors to get that stereo sound and you're away. The axioms come with ableton live lite. It's fully featured minus a lot of the samples and you can only have less than 10 tracks going at once. Keeps your creativity up :)

and maybe if you keep practising you can learn to scratch and get this good

done by two of the three members of the scratch perverts winner of the world dmc crown title twice

and will absolutley tear any gig to pieces and then rebuild how they want

scratching is useless in a club for 99% of the time. Someone who scratches every single song will piss off most of the crowd very, very quickly.

Even in an RNB set. Unfortunately not many people are grand masters who can put a new sound down often enough :P

Dont even worry about scratching yet. Develop it as a skill and bring it in later, song selection and basic beatmatching, along with "phrasing" are much more important.

1192129423643.jpg

Thats all... ^_^

^^^^ Exactly....

But to be a rockstar you generally need real talent... (or at least you used to years ago)

There was a DJ v Musician thread back in the day, I suggest you dig that up if you want to fire up an age old internet argument rather than shit on a thread that never paid out musicians in the first place.