Sign in to follow this  
tas_180

The SR that could (when it was there...) Now 501rwkw of 2JZ power!

Awesome build!

After reading through the tire selection... I can't help but wonder, why run an Evo as a steer instead of an RSR?

How did it go?

I have always considered the EVO as a steer, but have only ever used the RPM, and the RSR

Edited by POO-006

Awesome build!

After reading through the tire selection... I can't help but wonder, why run an Evo as a steer instead of an RSR?

How did it go?

I have always considered the EVO as a steer, but have only ever used the RPM, and the RSR

Thanks mate.

The availability of the RSR tyre in a multitude of sizes in Australia is pretty poor, so haven't bothered to give them a shot as I don't want to run a tyre once then never be able to obtain them again. The significantly cooler climate down here has also made me weary as the RSR, being a heavily silica based compound, would take a considerable time to gain enough heat to perform at its best.

I have been extremely happy with the EVO in the past, but like the RSR, I have not been able to obtain any in a 225/40/18 so have now swapped to a Toyo Proxes 4 :).

How often do you go through front tyres? While expensive, sending tyres over to you from japan could be an option as you shouldnt be going through them that quickly and can run exactly the tyre you want.

I run the RSR's as i said, and have never had issues, i understand you guys may experience less temps than us, but even late night, small track events here, with no warm ups etc... never ever had issues!

I actually work for Federals distrubitor / importer for QLD and i'll tell you there is stock readily available!

Not sure how fast you wear fronts, but i don't believe availability will come up as an issue!

I run the same steer tires your chasing on my personal drift car (QLDS Federal backed Car), Including using the same rears... in either ss or rsr...

The RPM's also come in a 225 40 18, and have a treadwear of 160... Where the RSR Treadwear is 140, and EVO is 220

Rpm's Federals New Asemetrical Designed Street Semi Slick...

Edited by POO-006

How often do you go through front tyres? While expensive, sending tyres over to you from japan could be an option as you shouldnt be going through them that quickly and can run exactly the tyre you want.

I'm not sure, I think the last pair of fronts lasted 6 months or so. Will keep you open as an option next time I'm looking :) . Wouldn't mind trying some mega sticky tyres next time like R1R/Neova etc.

^^after the big money spent on the car Im surprised you would skimp on the tyres!! LOL

I'm not sure, I think the last pair of fronts lasted 6 months or so. Will keep you open as an option next time I'm looking :) . Wouldn't mind trying some mega sticky tyres next time like R1R/Neova etc.
Definitely need to try the AD08... every single front tyre of every drift car I see these days has them on it! In some good sizes, especially if you want to go. Streeter can of course hook you up. Though personally I would be going for the 215/40R17 because I don't have cool fabricated tubs and stuff.

http://www.yokohamatire.jp/yrc/japan/sitem...IR_BRND_CD=AD08

Awesome work guys.... fingers crossed it all works out for ya!!

and Hankook RS-2's for the win ;)

I use Hankook Rs2 on the back... not bad :P seem to chunk if your not careful... only ran them on the front for 2 track days, felt like poo.

yes i heard your car had "understeering issues" at round 1 LOL

yes i heard your car had "understeering issues" at round 1 LOL

we all know it was a missed gear change tho lol

I use Hankook Rs2 on the back... not bad :P seem to chunk if your not careful... only ran them on the front for 2 track days, felt like poo.

how much do you get them for??? they cost a heap over here :(

and as if ya run them on the back haha... they are by far the best tyre ive ever used on the front!! easy...

what would you use if you have the coin?? ^_^

how much do you get them for??? they cost a heap over here :(

and as if ya run them on the back haha... they are by far the best tyre ive ever used on the front!! easy...

what would you use if you have the coin?? ^_^

prolly neova's, re-11 or something else bullshit exotic in australia lol

The Hankook RS2 when I bought them were ~9000yen each for 235 40 17. I didnt like the feel of them, grip was ok but not very direct... not sure if it was slip or sidewall flex but just felt sloppy. So I used them on the back instead and they feel pretty good compared to the super cheap tyres I normally run.

I ran Goodyear revspec Rs2 215 40 17 for ages as they feel really direct but the grip isnt good and in the cold (like snow/ice) they were dangerously bad. Long life though.

I run Advan Neova A07 215 40 17 now and am pretty happy with them cost ~14,000yen each. Some of the guys say they dont last long enough. Ive found them to be ok life wise, ok grip and really direct which I like.

The ballers seem to run the Toyo R1R 235 40 17 (~19k yen each) in 235 they are supposed to have an ok life span.

Had a bit of a photo shoot the other day. The car will be appearing in the latest Bisley Workwear catalogue so we needed a few pics of the car in it's latest guise.

The door gutting/sheeting/perspexing should be finished in the next week so will have some pics up of the finished product then.

Looking to source some rear rims in 18x10.5 -15. Looking at KF, Meisters, SP1 etc if you know of any let me know. Ta :).

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

definately one tough looking unit ben, I'd be extremely proud of myself if i ever got a car that right in the build aspects.

definately one tough looking unit ben, I'd be extremely proud of myself if i ever got a car that right in the build aspects.

Definatley +1 to that Josh!

UPDATE-

New rear rims coming soon!!

STAY TUNED!!!

:P

These are not the actual rims, but these are the wheels in the same size :P. 18x11 -5.

IMG_0180.jpg

265/35/18 Feddie 595SS atm :)

When I can afford to buy enough to last an event anyway :lol:.

lol well stop buying crappy ricer parts for your car and buy more tyres instead, your going to need them :)

By far the best tire i have ever used in my life are Advan Neova's 235/45/17s in my case, hankooks or federals have nothing on these tires.

The grip is fantastic the sidewalls feel nice and stiff, they are very direct and allow for instant change in direction at low speeds and high speed, they work well in low temps and insane on high temps. I use to run Dunlop Direzza sport z1 but the Advan's are a huge upgrade from them aswell.

It turned my huge JZX90 into a car that felt as nimble and small as an S13 or S14 chassie car, simple amazing tires.

Sometimes when your sneaky and run around you can find sponsored goodyear / federal D1 drivers running Advan Neova's on their front wheels at local track days. I use federals on the back for skidders.

lol well stop buying crappy ricer parts for your car and buy more tyres instead, your going to need them :)

LOL I don't have any wheels to drift on so I had to buy some. Everything in decent sizes is $1200+ so thought f**k it I'll just buy what I want. Then my current rears need 30mm spacers to fill the Origin guards, so getting rid of them also to Aussie's car :lol: .

I've spoken to Martin about buying tyres in bulk. Hopefully we can sort something out :).

UPDATE:

Bought some spare rims, 18x11 -3 Work Equip :). Shall do for skid rims and will actually fill the guards also which helps :). Thanks as always to Streeter for his help :D.

Will have further updates shortly as from three weeks on I think I have a drift competition/practice day every 2-3 weeks from now on. This week will see the shifters for our cars show up finally, HOPEFULLY I finally get my gutted doors back with perspex windows, fix up a few other little things and take the car to the track next weekend for a test. Will have to grab a Go Pro camera this week and chuck it in the car for the test.

nao_nao_mr2_img450x600_1238250301lp4tof36196.jpg

Cant wait to thrash with you over the next couple of months, going to be madness :)

Cant wait to thrash with you over the next couple of months, going to be madness :)

Should be good hey? :D

Will be driving in mostly the same events as you guys for the rest of the year it seems :lol: . A venture to Drift Attack is looking likely also.

Should be good hey? :D

Will be driving in mostly the same events as you guys for the rest of the year it seems :lol: . A venture to Drift Attack is looking likely also.

i would'nt bother with the gopro camera. they are rubbish and don't last long. may as well get somthing half decent.