Sign in to follow this  
Senna

2009 Formula 1 Discussion Thread

You have to remember, Schuey is one of the few drivers that has been in the sport long enough to have experience with slick tyres, no traction control, then move to cars with grooved tyres and traction control etc.. The guy has driven nearly every version of a modern F1 car over the last 18 years!

He just needs to remember how to drive them and get in the groove.

There still remains a huge question mark over what will actually happens when the red lights go out and the race starts.

Also, how about BMW pulling out of F1!

I know they have been wallowing around the back end this season, but they've totally pulled the pin and won't compete next year.

They have had some good results since being in F1, guess they are going to spend their money elsewhere.

Where does that leave Kubica and Heidfeld?

Will someone buy/take over the team?

IMHO should spice up things a bit.... However there is a few things that i believe can happen...

a ) he kicks practically everyones ass and shows how s**t the current F1 driver line up is

b ) being older then what he was when he quit racing, he gets his ass pommelled because of his age and time away from the drivers seat racing and quite practically ruins his reputation

c ) he drives the F1 car and practically explains to everyone that the cars are 100 times shitter then what they were when he was driving

the list goes on and on... all and all it should pull back a few viewers for as long as his racing... and maybe just maybe make it a bit more challenging for the teams and give ferrari its first win for the year :S

Since Michael is an Advisor and still on the payroll of Ferrari, why should he complain. Read on:

[edit] 2007: Advisor to Ferrari

Schumacher at Finali Mondiali celebrations in the F2007

During the 2007 Formula One season Schumacher acted as Ferrari's advisor and Jean Todt's 'super assistant'.[98] He attended several Grands Prix during the season. Schumacher drove the Ferrari F2007 for the first time on 24 October at Ferrari's home track in Fiorano, Italy. He ran no more than five laps and no lap times were recorded. A Ferrari spokesman said the short drive was done for the Fiat board of directors, who were holding their meeting in Maranello.[99]

On 13 November 2007 Schumacher, who had not driven a Formula One car since he had retired a year earlier, undertook a formal test session for the first time aboard the F2007. He returned in December, to continue helping Ferrari with their development program at Jerez circuit. He focused on testing electronics and tyres for the 2008 Formula One season.

[edit] 2008: Car development

In 2007, former Ferrari top manager Ross Brawn said that Schumacher is very likely and also happy to continue testing in 2008. Michael Schumacher later explained his role further, saying that he will "deal with the development of the car inside Gestione Sportiva", and as part of that, will drive the car, but not too often.[

McLaren have found some more pace since Hungary which is finally good to see! Hopefully they may be fighting up towards the front of the pack for the rest of the season.

Sucks about Mark though, he was having a handful trying to control that car.

Can't wait for next years qualifying though, should be mega exciting!

YAY! barrachello finally won...

maybe he can finally f**king retire at the end of the season and give his seat to somebody who actually deserves it...

f**k the BBC commentators are so bias to f**king McLaren and Lewis Hamilton... it really turns me off the sport...

Bias to Hamilton? I think they're biased to Button. Especially the commentator that doesn't know what's going on. Three incidents that happened in the first lap didn't get mentioned until ages after because he was too busy talking about Button.

deep in my heart i knew schumacher was never going to race.

u would have thought they would have know about his neck injury not healing from hi motorcycle accident, quite a while ago.

hype. bullshit. f1

YAY! barrachello finally won...

maybe he can finally f**king retire at the end of the season and give his seat to somebody who actually deserves it...

That's harsh

f**k the BBC commentators are so bias to f**king McLaren and Lewis Hamilton... it really turns me off the sport...

No, they are bias towards any/all British drivers. Hamilton (now McLaren are performing) and Button are totally blown out of proportion.

it was a bit disappointing that a lot of the major overtaking was done in the pits, but otherwise a good race.

great win to barachello, he had a great drive. bad luck for hamilton, i expect there will be some heads to roll at maclaren.

No, they are bias towards any/all British drivers. Hamilton (now McLaren are performing) and Button are totally blown out of proportion.

yeah, same as how the Ten commentators are biased toward any Australians in international motorsport.

Yeah exactly. Our boys focus on Webber, and the BBC boys focus on the British drivers. Nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism lads. I've been following Jenson for a few years now. I'm so glad to see him in a car that actually drives well and shows his clean silky smooth style. Pity about the last few results but I hope he can bounce back. I like Jenson's style for he passes with ultimate cleanliness and is not like Hamilton who just banzais and scares other drivers off. Great win for Rubens, I'm really glad for him. CMON BRAWN!

WHATS THIS S**T I HEAR ABOUT NO PIT STOPS NEXT YEAR!!!!

are they f**king nuts! thats kind of what makes the races at least a bit exciting lately... theres not much chance of overtaking anymore...

F1 is going down the toilet... Moto GP FTW!

Will still be pit stops for tyres. Just no refueling. But yeah it's stupid

F1 is going down the toilet... Moto GP FTW!

i prefer wolrd SBK to moto GP (moto GP is still awesome tho)

and qualifying results are in (i was at work so missed watching it on tv last night)... Force india on pole?! :S

belqual.JPG

hopefully should make for a good race.

f**king LOL! in regards to hamilton thats all i can say...

as if he was going to catch button he should have just settled down the car a bit for next race and settled to just be on the podium...

he was trying to go all out and buckled

• Upvote 1

f**king LOL! in regards to hamilton thats all i can say...

as if he was going to catch button he should have just settled down the car a bit for next race and settled to just be on the podium...

he was trying to go all out and buckled

I thought it was rather unfortunate, he drove that car inch-perfect the entire weekend. Pushing the entire race, he must have been exhausted. Bad luck to catch too much astro-turf out of Lesmo 1 on the last lap. From the impact you could see he was as suprised as anyone watching.

What I don't understand is why McLaren two-stopped him. He was fastest of the 1-stoppers after fuel adjustment anyway. He would've qualified in P3 and been odds-on for the win - Sutil and Raikkonen would need to put 40 seconds on him to stay in front. Kovaleinen in all seriousness should have won Monza, he just drove a terrible race.

As much as I hate to admit it, the final 4 races are more or less a dead wood. Brawn may as well take measurements of their trophy cabinet because there may not be enough room at the end of the 2009 championship to display them.

As much as I hate to admit it, the final 4 races are more or less a dead wood. Brawn may as well take measurements of their trophy cabinet because there may not be enough room at the end of the 2009 championship to display them.

isn't Brawn also struggling with the engine allocation like RBR as well...

it might not just yet be done and dusted but it would take some ill skill by Vettel to catch up...

would have been good to see Vettel take the championship instead... his a very talented driver for his age... looks very down to earth as well...

Some very big news. Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds have left Renault. Seems this has happened after Piquet Jr's little slip up after admitting he purposely crashed.

never a dull moment in f1 politics hey.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=39026

also the 2010 provisional entry list has been released and the new teams are Campos Grand Prix, Manor Grand Prix, Team US F1 and Lotus F1 Team. (http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=39019)

Will be awesome to see Lotus back in the game after a very long time out.

some info on Lotus' return: http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=39018

Some very big news. Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds have left Renault. Seems this has happened after Piquet Jr's little slip up after admitting he purposely crashed.

wow so there could be some truth to the allegations...

i still think Piquet Jr is a f**king sook... dobbing on your former team ain't going to get you back into F1... he was just a s**t...

consider the Renault team to probably pull out of F1 now because of some outlandish penalty imposed...

hopefully for Alonso the Ferrari move rumors are true .. would be sad to see the no1 driver out of a drive.

i still think Piquet Jr is a f**king sook... dobbing on your former team ain't going to get you back into F1... he was just a s**t...

consider the Renault team to probably pull out of F1 now because of some outlandish penalty imposed...

Outlandish penalty? For fixing a race, they should be banned. I dare say the will get a slap on the wrist because Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds have quit.

Really Renault are just idiots for sacking a driver who had such volatile information on them.

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=39026

Outlandish penalty? For fixing a race, they should be banned. I dare say the will get a slap on the wrist because Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds have quit.

Really Renault are just idiots for sacking a driver who had such volatile information on them.

+1

Briatore and Symmonds didn't just leave Renault. Yesterday was the deadline for Renault F1 to submit their defence to the WMSC and they didn't submit anything. Which effectively means they admit they did it, and plead guilty. They will get off with a light(er) sentence than if they had defended the allegations and been found guilty anyway. That might have ended in Renault being banned from all FIA-governed motorsport for ever (including F1, Formula Renault, Clio Cup, WRC etc.).

Symmonds has stated that they (Briatore, Piquet and himself) openly discussed crashing on purpose, but hasn't said if they followed through. Briatore denies everything. If they did fix the race, it was a hell of a gamble. They had to know that Rosberg would pit under the safety car and get a 10s stop-go penalty, had to know that Massa would drag the Ferrari fuel hose down the pit lane, had to know that Coulthard would exit the pits in front of Hamilton and hold him up. Otherwise Alonso would've only finished 4th.

I think that Renault know their time in F1 is up, and will leave at the end of the season. That gives the (former) BMW team now owned by a bunch of Saudi and European families the 13th slot on the grid.

Piquet Jr was s**t... they were right in sacking him and not submitting to blackmail... the biggest d**khead out of all the is Piquet Jr himself for submitting to such a stupid and downright dangerous act and then having the nerve to blackmail the others involved because of his carelessness... f**king shameful...

I am a bit Renault bias because i think they are an awesome team but i do have to submit to the fact they did do wrong as well... I would be pretty gutted if they do get a severe penalty... because they happen to be one of those teams who are currently really struggling in championship terms and financial terms as well...

chances are Renault would probably play politics and f**k the FIA up the ass by saying we are going to leave... and F1 doesn't need another team leaving... that would make it 3 teams in 2 years if you would include BMW along with that bunch... further expressing the fact to potential teams the fact that F1 may not be as corporately viable as would seem... meaning Renault would probably get away with it :D

Piquet Jr was s**t... they were right in sacking him and not submitting to blackmail... the biggest d**khead out of all the is Piquet Jr himself for submitting to such a stupid and downright dangerous act and then having the nerve to blackmail the others involved because of his carelessness... f**king shameful...

I am a bit Renault bias because i think they are an awesome team but i do have to submit to the fact they did do wrong as well... I would be pretty gutted if they do get a severe penalty... because they happen to be one of those teams who are currently really struggling in championship terms and financial terms as well...

chances are Renault would probably play politics and f**k the FIA up the ass by saying we are going to leave... and F1 doesn't need another team leaving... that would make it 3 teams in 2 years if you would include BMW along with that bunch... further expressing the fact to potential teams the fact that F1 may not be as corporately viable as would seem... meaning Renault would probably get away with it biggrin.gif

Briatore is an extremely powerful and intimidating businessman. If Briatore tells you to crash or your career is finished, you'd damn well crash. Obviously Piquet shouldn't have done it, but that's beside the point - the charge that has been brought before the WMSC is race-fixing. Renault purposefully endangered the lives of all the drivers and the crowd at Turn 17 to fix the outcome of a race in their favour. They deserved to be thrown out of F1 forever.

The FIA don't care if manufacturers leave. Manufacturer teams have been the exception rather than the rule in F1. Prior to the late 90's it was majority independant teams. Ferrari being the only manufacturer in the sport since the 1950's. They have teams lining up to take Renault's spot on the grid (BMW, Prodrive etc). And they don't have to bend to the whim's of manufacturer corporations who join and leave the sport as it suits them (Honda, BMW, now Renault). They want teams that are committed for the long-term. Hence the Concorde Agreements being longer than 4 seasons.

Renault will either be thrown out, or leave. If they're not, it proves the FIA is a tooth-less tiger and that F1 is not a sport, but a game of politics (which is a half-truth I admit). The FIA already look bad, because they didn't actively find out about this and "clamp down on cheating in F1" like they're supposed to. They only found out because Piquet came to them. They need to throw the book at Renault to assert their governance, or the FIA becomes even more of a joke.

Well said. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I think looking ahead, there are some turbulent and challenging times for F1.

The grid will cetainly look different next year.

http://en.f1-live.co...921143847.shtml

Renault today appeared before an extraordinarymeeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) to face chargesrelating to the Crash gate affair. After a hearing in Paris - whichlasted just 90 minutes - the WMSC handed down a rapid verdict.

Renault received a permanent disqualification from the sport, but thisis suspended until the end of 2011. The team issued a statement sayingit apologises unreservedly for its "unacceptable behaviour" and hopesto move on. Flavio Briatore is effectively banned from any avenue ofmotorsport indefinitely, while co-conspirator Symonds is banned forfive years.

"Renault F1's breaches not only compromised the integrity of the sportbut also endangered the lives of spectators, officials, othercompetitors and Nelson Piquet Jr. himself," read a statement from theFIA. "The World Motor Sport Council considers that offences of thisseverity merit permanent disqualification from the FIA Formula OneWorld Championship.

"However, having regard to the points in mitigation mentioned above andin particular the steps taken by Renault F1 to identify and address thefailings within its team and condemn the actions of the individualsinvolved, the WMSC has decided to suspend Renault F1's disqualificationuntil the end of the 2011 season. The World Motor Sport Council willonly activate this disqualification if Renault F1 is found guilty of acomparable breach during that time."

Managing director Flavio Briatore and executive director of engineeringPat Symonds were both implicated ahead of today's hearing and hadalready left the team. Briatore has been banned from the sportindefinitely, while Symonds received a five year ban.

"As regards Mr. Briatore, the World Motor Sport Council declares that,for an unlimited period, the FIA does not intend to sanction anyInternational Event, Championship, Cup, Trophy, Challenge or Seriesinvolving Mr. Briatore in any capacity whatsoever, orgrant any license to any Team or other entity engaging Mr. Briatore inany capacity whatsoever. It also hereby instructs all officials presentat FIA-sanctioned events not to permit Mr. Briatore access to any areasunder the FIA's jurisdiction.

"Furthermore, it does not intend to renew any Superlicence granted toany driver who is associated (through a management contract orotherwise) with Mr. Briatore, or any entity or individual associatedwith Mr. Briatore. In determining that such instructions should beapplicable for an unlimited period, the World Motor Sport Council hashad regard not only to the severity of the breach in which Mr. Briatorewas complicit but also to his actions in continuing to deny hisparticipation in the breach despite all the evidence."

While Briatore has been banned from the sport indefinitely with Symondshanded a five year ban, Fernando Alonso "was not in any way involved inRenault F1's breach of the regulations." Nelson Piquet Jr was immunefrom sanctions after giving evidence to the FIA.

Renault F1 president Bernard Rey attended the 90-minute hearing alongwith Nelson Piquet Jr, Nelson Piquet Snr, Fernando Alonso, and the 26WMSC members including Max Mosley and Bernie Ecclestone.

"We fully accept the decision of the Council," stated Renault F1 Teampresident Bernard Rey. " We apologize unreservedly to the F1 communityin relation to this unacceptable behaviour. We sincerely hope that wecan soon put this matter behind us and focus constructively on thefuture."

Epic huge penalty for Briatore, and Renault has 2 years to get out of it's permanent ban, so it will probably end up being no penalty for Renault at all.

have a feeling that the FIA kind of made their decision in regards to the matter even before walking into the door...

not to worry all Renault need to do is remain on their best behavior until 2011...

quite a reasonable decision IMHO...