Sign in to follow this  
phunky_monkey

Track S series

lol. looks REAL functional !

hahahahaha

I'd imagine it'd look like a parachute below that :P

Ok, found some more pics of some s-chassis circuit racers. These cars compete in the "exedy cup" in Japan. Not high end/top shelf factory teams, but more of your homegrown club level motorsport. Just what we all can relate to!

Plenty here represented, S13, S13.5, S14 and 180SX. Added pic of S15 - Love that S15!

Enjoy!

akbal_s13_nissan_silvia.jpg

akbal_s13_nissan_silvia_2.jpg

endless_nissan_180sx_240sx.jpg

endless_rps13_nissan_180sx.jpg

garage_ito_s13_nissan_silvia.jpg

garage_ito_s13_nissan_silvia2.jpg

hokusetsu_s14_nissan_silvia.jpg

hokusetsu_s14_nissan_silvia_2.jpg

race_queen4.jpg

daikoku_futo_silvia_s15_soarer_jzz30.jpg

A common theme I can see from the pics is extra track width and aero.

All examples seem to have either bolt on flares, pumped guards and wide body kits.

Can't miss the sizable tyre/wheel combo's either.

Notice front splitters/canards and rear spoilers are also prominent.

Mechanically they seem quite modest. Mainly cooling modifications(radiator, fmic, oil cooler, ducting etc) and mild power upgrades under the hood.

The photo's were taken from a 4 hour endurance event so reliability is the main focus.

It's always a challenge finding detailed info on circuit spec cars!

lol - i wish we have pit girls like that at our events!!!! Quiet a few s13's running around and love the bolt on flares, i have been trying to convince people since i did my conversion to do it rather then widebody conversions but noone seems to listen.

This is my S13

_DSC1517.jpg

Getting there but still a lot more to do!

^ thats nice

some specs would be nice as well

Looking good John! How much of a difference has the splitter made in front end feel?

I'm also interested to know.

Thanks, I am happy with the looks but still some more things to do to it such as canards and widebody. Unsure if I'll go with the flares or the widebody kit.

The splitter made a noticeable improvement in turn in and mid corner grip. Definitely reduced the understeer I was getting. Even on cold tyres on a cold Wakefield track the car turned in quite well and easily. I was surprised with the improvement. Still have the issue of power down (that has been improved with some tweaks) but that is something some wider rubber should help as the splitter has reduced the understeer enabling a wider rubber rear than front.

The splitter itself is angled up 1.6 degrees which is not ideal but we didn't get a chance to correct so we left it as is. It will be angled down using spacers and then the gap between it and the bar covered using a special rubber or polycarbonate. Still deciding what to do on this.

Will post some pics of the underside later.

Nice work.

I'm looking forward to see what you've done with the underbody and what materials you've used.

my splitter v1.0

DSCN9541.JPG?psid=1

didn't last very long thanks to both my front Kumhos delaminating

post-198773-12892073201499564331.jpg

post-198773-12892073201854746003.jpg

with the rubbish tyres I can't really comment on what handling was like with the wing & splitter. Will start on Version 2 this weekend...

Damn, that's a shame.

Did you make it? Lucky it was made like that otherwise it would have caused more damage (the damage is still bad enough :o ). Mine is 3mm ali, if I hit it like that I reckon the whole front end would get hammered.

Your car looks good, heard it is very quick!

I made it out of 9mm ply. I'm going to have a crack at fixing the front bar - doesn't need to be real pretty. Next splitter will be a couple inches longer out the front.

Its reasonably quick. Working on making it as quick as Scooby36's Sil80 again... With the wings & things back on I reckon it should be a good contest again. Had to run last weekend at Morgan Park without the wing & splitter and got a lesson in aero effectiveness in high speed corners from Scooby36's Sil80. Low speed stuff was pretty even, but he's just so much more stable in the fast stuff where my car is pretty twitchy...

my splitter v1.0

DSCN9541.JPG?psid=1

didn't last very long thanks to both my front Kumhos delaminating

post-198773-12892073201499564331.jpg

post-198773-12892073201854746003.jpg

with the rubbish tyres I can't really comment on what handling was like with the wing & splitter. Will start on Version 2 this weekend...

Woah big off!

The Kumho slicks delaminated? Did the tyre blow out or just lose a layer? What compound? How many events/days had they seen?

When did the tyres start to drop off?

Sorry for so many questions!

Cheers

Mark

Front right blew out just as I started to turn in. Front left was delaminated. They are K60 (hard) compound S700 slicks. Manufactured 2006. Bought brand new in March this year. In the first session of their 3rd sprint event I blew the left front. Though I might have cut it on the edge of the resurfaced track. So I replaced it with a secondhand one a mate had. That's the one the blew up this time and the other front tyre was delaminated. We only do 4 sessions of 5 timed laps per event.

I'm not sure if they did start to drop off. Apart from a bit of understeer which at the time I thought was caused by the wing I had just fitted. But I had run 2 tenths off my PB and was catching a Porsche GT3RS when they let go...There was no vibration through the wheel or any signs of anything nasty happening. It just blew out. Pressures had been checked/set ater each run. Was runing about 32-34psi hot.

vid of the session where this one blew: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjeCn1-CCCE

Thanks guys. :D

Managed a 1:37.5 at Winton on the weekend. Was very happy with that considering the 30 degree ambient temperature. Hopefully there's a 1:36 in there in its current setup.