Sign in to follow this  
Lucas.

DRUMMERS!

Sorry I can't embed, but this is a guy I know (Legnum owner!) from Sydney doing a hi-hat solo...just nuts...

i saw John Morrison play a similar style solo in concert one night, walked around the stage playing off everything, stands, speakers, the stage floor :lol: A+ entertainment!

this is my old kit. had it for about 6 years, but never really got into it (i sucked and practicing was difficult, can't exactly play drums discreetly), so sold it recently.

It was an old model Pearl Forum kit, all standard. just added ZBT cymbals; 14" Crash, 10" Splash, 20" Ride.

DSC00023.JPG

then in 2008 i impulse bought an electronic kit that was on sale at Billy Hydes. I thought if i could play quietly i'd get back into it, but it's a pretty average sounding kit. It'll be up for sale as well soon :P

DSC00026.JPG

what kind of electronic kit is that rob? how much you get it for if you don't mind me asking?

Unfortunately still dont have pics due to kit not being completed yet BUT

have the old Pearl MLX drum kit

yamaha snare

Pearl MLX bass drum, 3 rack toms, and a floor tom

Oringinally sheer blue with chrome fittings, but have re-wrapped in a clean white, and powdercoated all the fittings satin black.

Am now going to re skin everything but unsure what to go for, i got a quote for remo unsure of which exact model, but quoted 360 for tops and bottoms of drums.

I also have tama Chrome cobra double kicks. and a cymbol set up consisting of zildjian and Sabian.

Will upload pics when complete :)

Changed my resonant heads on the toms for the first time ever :lol:. Got some Evans G1's on there. Only two of the tom heads were a bit shagged out but holy crap what a difference it has made to all of them... so much tone, kit sounds awesome now, was so easy to tune too.

^ Yes, all factory heads (top and bottom) are rubbish. No exceptions.

(Disclaimer: You can make factory heads sound decent. But they are still rubbish.)

Yeah I was just being a cheap *milkshake*, and for a very long time lol

How often would you change yours? The evans site recommends every 3 batter head replacements but I'm thinking they're just trying to milk us...

If one thing is for sure, there's no fixed pattern to my drumhead changes. I do have a really solid hookup for drumheads so it's not a massive outlay of money for any changes thankfully, i don't know what it's like for you but drumheads ain't really that cheap where i live.

The largest determining factor in drumhead use is how 'big time' the gigs i'm playing are but in saying this i do try to hit as clean as possible, i never dent or pit my drumheads. I reckon if you hit that hard you're completely compromising the tone. I try keeping a personal supply of Coated & Clear Ambassadors, a couple of Ambassador snare side heads and a few fresh CS Coated heads for snare batter cos good old murphy's law always comes to play when i really need fresh drumheads.

Resonant heads get changed at the most every couple of years, Top/Batter heads more frequently, maybe twice a year. Snare batter heads get changed the most cos they take the most abuse and they're absolutely key to determining the overall sound of the kit with snare-side heads getting replaced whenever the snare drum starts to show signs of losing its character. Kick drum batter heads never get changed as much as i would like cos there are never any damn 20" Clear Powerstroke 3's in stock.

I'm really only speaking for my DW kit and my snare drums here, the other three kits i own get head changes whenever they're starting to sound really tired or dead and that rarely includes doing the resonant heads.

Ok cool. Yeah I never really dent or pit my heads at all but on that note I really wanna get my hand technique down so that my left isn't flicking left and right and being generally unco anymore... I have developed pretty good speed over time with german grip but I'm just not using my fingers with my left enough and it's really holding me back.

So I've switched to french grip (thumbs up/timpani grip) and it's a real pain in the arse but even in my early days it feels so much cleaner and controlled.

I got myself a practice pad on a stand, using an online metronome and online stopwatch every day and I've made up a practice program to get my hands into good shape:

All 1/4 notes:

2 minutes of singles - alternating between leading with the right and left

2 minutes of doubles - alternating between leading with the right and left and playing inverted doubles leading with the right and left

2 minutes of parradiddles - alternating between parradiddles, inverted parradidles, parradiddle-diddles and sometimes making random patterns, also leading with the left at times

So it's 6 minutes total at each tempo, starting with 100bpm, then 104, 108, 112, 116 and finally 120 which is the fastest I can manage without getting all sloppy and losing all technique.

It's only been about a week but it is already making a difference... gonne step up the tempo as time goes on.

Sound like a plan stan?

That's a great plan. It'll get you results fast.

Here's Steve Smith's shifting doubles exercise which is a great exercise. It's supposed to be played seamlessly from line to line and back up to the top.

RRLLRRLLRRLLRRLL

RLLRRLLRRLLRRLLR

LLRRLLRRLLRRLLRR

LRRLLRRLLRRLLRRL

And another exercise i got off the MD08 DVD from Todd Sucherman, it's two Single Paradiddle-diddles and half a Single Paradiddle. Also to be played seamlessly.

RLRRLL RLRRLL RLRR

LRLLRR LRLLRR LRLL

Sweet, much better than trippling up to swap over to the leading hand, will use those.

New virgil clip is up on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHJT4WCnEk0

I saw him last year... best thing I've ever witnessed, period. Blew my f**king mind.

Virgil is a freak. I have one of his earlier videos and used it to great affect to improve my technnique and speed around the kit.

That video is a total number f**k.

54552.jpg

Pearl demon drives

Or

2_longboards_AL2-CB.jpg

Axis AL-2 Longboards

????

I've never been much of a pearl man but I'm leaning towards the demon drive...

pearl for sure

got myself a second hand pearl replaced the pads and never looked back

I've played it and I liked it lots... yet to try the axis but I did play an axis pedal years ago and it was too light. My iron cobras are heavy and I like it that way... gets way more power. They're just getting old. Have you got DD's or some other model?

ah not 100% there in the other room :P but im sure there just an export pearl brand i got with the kit second hand. (the kit was brand new) looking for a new set though

You really can't go wrong with either of those can you? It's definitely a choice that's down to which one feels better.

Lucas you have an eliminator, they're nice too, that was pearls top pedal before the DD was released. This is prob a bit smoother but the biggest difference is that it's direct drive... there's no chain/strap, just a metal linkage so the pedal moves exactly as the beater does... it will be a bit tricky getting used to I reckon.

Pulled the trigger on the demon drives last night after a bit more research. Too many people are saying the axis has reliability issues and I want a heavier pedal, which I know the pearl is.

First day playing them today...

The verdict - beautifully smooth and the slave pedal feels identical to the main pedal, literally. The footboards are far more comfortable than the tama (I play barefoot or with socks). The base is bit wider than the tama and my hi-hat stand just doesn't streth out far enough without lifting the hi-hat pedal off the ground. The little "traction" dots (orange things) aren't a perfect fit for the little craters they go into so some of them click a little bit when you make contact with them.

They're not as powerful as my Iron Cobras which is a bit of a bummer but I spose I could tweak the settings a little more. I have it setup as longboard and with the beater axis set in "power" mode but I was getting way more of a slingshot feel from the Tamas and I'm sure I was getting more volume... hmmm not sure if that's just because the tamas are heavier. I'll see how I feel in a few weeks when I'm used to it, but I gotta say, for my first day on a new pedal I did pretty f**king well, so I chose a pedal that isn't too far off what I was using.

watsup drummers!!

what's everyones opinion on remo emperor skins on top side of drums and remo ambassadors on the bottom side of drums, (drums made from maple)

i'm about to reskin the whole kit...

watsup drummers!!

what's everyones opinion on remo emperor skins on top side of drums and remo ambassadors on the bottom side of drums, (drums made from maple)

Yep, that's a good choice, very common.

watsup drummers!!

watsup drummers!!

i've got the same set up on my snare. coated on top. toms i've got clears and thats with full maple shells. coated emperors tuned up tight go off on maple!

Emperors on top / Ambassadors on bottom is a great choice. In my experiences with this combo the only drawback i found was when matched with the thin shells on my Pearl Masters MMX the Coated Emperors sounded far too dry (and i like a dry tone. Go figure...) but the Clear Emperors sounded great. They are quite bright or 'pingy' when you first put them on but after a short time you end up with a big, punchy, full sound.

Yeah I found that the coated emperors had a bit too much decay with the way I tune my toms (lowish), I like the evans coated heads better, gonna get some of them next time around just for a change.

These things are viral on youtube at the moment, pretty keen to try it..

http://www.kickport.com/

p_kickport_Fw.jpg

ye i have been told by a few people that using the clear emperors bring out the maple shells perfect, where as coated restrict it alot... My skins should be coming this week :) so excited!!!

Got the Kickport in the mail yesterday... tried it with and without the pillow inside my bassdrum... only difference I can hear is the deadening effect. I'm sure it's good for recording and the guys on the donati forum go on about how you need to tune your bass drum to get the most from it but I don't see the point when I like the way my bassdrum the way it's tuned now. I'll see how it goes when I get around to recording something but yeah... don't expect it to turn your bass drum into a monster.

In other news... I got a job in the city so I'm going to have to live without my drums for a while, this is going to be a nightmare. Gonna have to get the pads cranking and maybe think about getting an electronic kit :(

Got the Kickport in the mail yesterday... tried it with and without the pillow inside my bassdrum... only difference I can hear is the deadening effect. I'm sure it's good for recording and the guys on the donati forum go on about how you need to tune your bass drum to get the most from it but I don't see the point when I like the way my bassdrum the way it's tuned now. I'll see how it goes when I get around to recording something but yeah... don't expect it to turn your bass drum into a monster.

In other news... I got a job in the city so I'm going to have to live without my drums for a while, this is going to be a nightmare. Gonna have to get the pads cranking and maybe think about getting an electronic kit :(

keep an eye on gum tree man.... i picked up one of those shitty ashton electronic kits still under warranty for like 200 bucks. like if its for practise the ashton one will just suffice.

or else pads will do, but as drummers its just not the same unless its full noise!!!

That's a mad idea... I just rang up the local music place and they're on sale for $500... money is tight but it's almost feasible when a bass drum pad alone will cost nearly $100...

What do you think of it?

I had a go on one once and the snare pad is waaay too small but I'm prob not gonna complain for the price.