Sign in to follow this  
Lucas.

DRUMMERS!

I hope I never f**k my wrists. I stopped muay thai and started being more careful in the gym when I realized this.

Here's a belated new kit picture. The bass drum came with a damaged bearing edge, so it's getting sent back. I'm pretty sure fedex are going to cover it but the claim isn't finalized yet. I realized a 20" just doesn't cut it as far as volume and depth so it's just as well that I'm getting a 22x16 swapped over, no extra cost (fingers crossed).

An 8" tom is still on its way from the mapex factory. I don't like the 12" drum much, I just don't seem to like that size in terms of tune and setup. Anyway the drums sound awesome, a very different tone, much more tuneable and much louder than the sonors. The pictures don't do it justice but the sparkly finish is just plain sex. The snare is great but I love the black beauty too much not to use it as a primary snare so it's top dog again. Other than that I've gotta get some cases for the drums, I bought a cymbal case a few months back so I'm kinda set for gigs for years to come.

photo(112).JPG

Saturns.JPG

^^That.

Love your avatar, Edd. Our feline's bed is on the drier, too :lol:

My house mates cat froths over the dryer/washing machine/TV/heater etc. Anything that makes even a little heat and he f**king rapes it. Little bastard!

I like the new kit Spazo, can't wait to hear it!

Yeah, i know DIG and it's really very kind of you to say Spiral might have a similar vibe. Which brings me to say.....

The Spiral EP is available as a FREE download for the month of May!!!

http://spiralnz.bandcamp.com/

Get to it ladies and gentlemen! It'll sit nicely/awkwardly in your iTunes library somewhere near Sepultura, Skrillex, Slipknot, Snoop Dogg, Soundgarden and Stevie Wonder.

Stay cool. Shameless self promotion ends here.

I don't actually have a computer of my own to d/l it to but I'll have to check it out this weekend when I get down to my folks!

I've been jamming with this prodigious bass player that goes to the institute of music and he's been bringing different muso friends (keyboardists and guitarists) into the mix, it's been epic. I don't know where it's going but hopefully it leads to something. I got the camera going last time but I only got 20 mins footage before the thing was full, I'll put a highlight on youtube if I have time this weekend me thinks. I wanna go to JMC or AIM and study music and jam with awesome muso's all day, but I'd have to let go of my "career" :(

Who knows maybe later.

The reggae/rock thing is a bit so-so right now, bassist dropped out (no, prodigy bass player isn't interested), I'm hunting for a chick bass player if anyone knows one from sydney.

In other news:

DSL_2012.jpg

Yeah, it will be sweet to see Dave Weckl. I saw him prob around 2002, I've never been INTO him but he's one of the greats.

Here's a video of my jam with those guys, I cbf cutting it down so it goes on a bit lol

Very nice. It is difficult to relax and just lay down time in a jam situation so I definitely admire your restraint.

I do like your playing although I'm guessing this situation is most likely not even close to the best example of it. You've got a great balance in volume/touch between kick/snare and hats.

Thanks, and I agree, I wasn't too expressive on this day. I've been working really hard on my hand technique so its back to basics and creativity is on the backburner. I bought stick control last week, it's a bit of a mind f**k lol

I'll try and rip a bit more, cheers for the feedback :)

Wow! So cool we are getting this sort of thing in Aus. I suppose Virgil being Australian probably helps :P But still.

This little man is a weapon. Awesome song too.

Hey again drummers and anyone else who might follow the thread.

NEWS

To any of you who are based in Melbourne, my six piece groove collective, Spiral, will be coming over from NZ to perform three shows this week at Bella Union on Thursday 27th, Friday 28th & Saturday 29th from 10:30pm. FREE entry. (If you can make it, come and say hi, I'm Steve and of course, I'll be on the drums!)

http://www.bellaunion.com.au/calendar/index.php?date=2012-09-27

http://spiralnz.bandcamp.com/

I've joined another band, this ones a rock band and these guys are older, a bit more serious and professional than the reggae band I'm in (which is pretty sloppy if I'm honest).

http://www.facebook.com/enterMagnus?ref=ts&fref=ts

Also this metal project, which is only going to be a recording as far as I know.

http://www.facebook.com/exogenesisofficial/app_2405167945

Yes, both of those tracks are using a drum machine before you say anything, I haven't recorded with either.

Got a few new cymbals and a double kick in the BH closing down sale, probably gonna offload one of my double kick pedals in the near future. Practicing alot these past few months, it's a bit exhausting but I know there will be times in future when I won't have the chance.

Anyone else up to much? Got new gear?

Bought a Roland Td11 not too long ago. I like it heaps, awesome for quiet practise and convenient recordings. Now tossing up spending 2.5k on my car or similar on a Pansini Drum kit... they sound phenomenal.... But i have a feeling I can get just a good sound out of my Pearl MLX.. Thoughts anyone?

Edited by NunzY

I haven't seen/heard Pansini but acrylic shells are very loud and don't sound that great IMO.

If your mlx is maple maybe you could try some drums with a different wood species e.g birch/bubinga/beech.

I have 2 kits, one birch and the other maple + walnut, it's nice to go between them and I dunno which I like more.

Thanks Spazo! Yep Mlx is maple! I thought all MLXs would be?

here's a clip of the kit, let me know what you think :)

You'll want to try it (or an acrylic) in person, check out 'molecules' drums too, they're even cooler looking.

I have played a Ludwig vista lite and it's awesome being able to see through them but I just don't think I could live with the volume and ringiness long term, plenty of ppl like them tho.

My band (runamuk) went to zen studios and we recorded a few tracks. Recording was a huge learning curve and I'm not really proud of everything we did there but I think this track came out alright.

http://soundcloud.com/the-marr-street-crawl/control

Also, sold off my demon drives, just not heavy enough for what my feet are used to. Dw9000's are in transit.

I only just found out about this last night. Barely anything about it online too.

dc1.png

dc2.png

dc3.png

Edited by Spazo

Hey fellas,

Here's a simple (and very green) clip from a gig I played on October 1st. It's kinda got that flowing-groove-jazzy-jazz vibe. The pianist (who wrote the tune) and bassist are mates of mine and we've toured together on a couple different things. The guitarist is a monster, it was a pleasure to get the opportunity to play with him.

The drums are my Pearl Masters Customs MMX. I saved up and bought them new when I was 18 and they've played hundreds and hundreds of gigs in the last 14 years. The kick is 20x16", the toms are 10x10" & 14x14." The snare is from my DWs Collectors 'Private Reserve' kit; it is 14"x5", maple and hand made.

http://youtu.be/8lpwXqdgMvU

Have a listen, I hope you enjoy it.

Edited by sneaky fujita

I listened right through, was really nice playing from everyone. I would love to sit in with those dudes. I dunno if your bassist plays ahead or if you're way in the pocket but there's a nice buffer between you.

I'll share my latest video; though compared to your band we're a bunch of hacks.

Hey, I watched your clip through.

I dig the second tune more than the first, you all play it with more energy and seem to enjoy it more which makes it better immediately.

Also, you play some great double kick stuff! More of that everywhere I say.

I could have thrown double kick in everywhere but it wouldn't have been appropriate. I dropped out of that band a few days after I posted that btw.

Made a new demo to help lure new muso's but it's pretty tame.. I'm gonna try make a video that captures a bit of double kick and speed and stuff soon.

Aand another. I might try cover something metal before the week is out, then I gotta head back to the city. I love having all this free time to practice :(

And probably the best one. My shedding is on hiatus as of now :(