Sign in to follow this  
minihux

RunningLife - Ebisu Drift Matsuri : The Community **NEW POST **

rad read Luke

is that why international drifters are competing in d1?

Up until this year it was always the Japanese that were going overseas to expose the world to their drift culture, but 2009 looks like it will be the year when Japanese drifters and drift fans will finally get a taste of international drifting on their home turf. We already saw Vaughn Gittin Jr. bring his all-American V8-powered madness to Japan earlier this month, and we have just heard that another high profile international drifter will be appearing in the land of the rising sun.

New Zealand's Mad Mike Whiddett and his four-rotor "Madbul" RX7 have been invited to compete in the Japanese D1 series this year, and Mad Mike has already confirmed with us that he will be appearing the Okayama, Ebisu, and Fuji Speedway events later in the year. In addition to D1GP, Mad Mike and the RX7 will also be doing a lot of filming with the guys at Option Video.

We will be closely following Mad Mike's adventures in Japan here on Speedhunters as we find out how the Japanese fans will react to the Madbul's ridiculous sounding exhaust note...

-Mike Garrett

Thats a good read about D1 for sure, and a shame at the same time. Tripling the entry fee and having such biased judging is f**king useless.

Would be great to see MaD Mike go up there and rip shit up :woot: that 4 rotor is nutso shit.

rad read Luke

is that why international drifters are competing in d1?

Up until this year it was always the Japanese that were going overseas to expose the world to their drift culture, but 2009 looks like it will be the year when Japanese drifters and drift fans will finally get a taste of international drifting on their home turf. We already saw Vaughn Gittin Jr. bring his all-American V8-powered madness to Japan earlier this month, and we have just heard that another high profile international drifter will be appearing in the land of the rising sun.

New Zealand's Mad Mike Whiddett and his four-rotor "Madbul" RX7 have been invited to compete in the Japanese D1 series this year, and Mad Mike has already confirmed with us that he will be appearing the Okayama, Ebisu, and Fuji Speedway events later in the year. In addition to D1GP, Mad Mike and the RX7 will also be doing a lot of filming with the guys at Option Video.

We will be closely following Mad Mike's adventures in Japan here on Speedhunters as we find out how the Japanese fans will react to the Madbul's ridiculous sounding exhaust note...

-Mike Garrett

I think it is Mez, they are calling up everyone they can to get more money this year, all my mates have had phone calls from them asking to enter this year, they have said you will see me at the Ebisu event but nothing else no one want to drift in a comp where its unfair they just do it for fun and ebisu is fun.

someone fly me to ebisu stat!!! haha

noticed your up n coming article 'winter fun' do i smell kei cars?

:quagmire:

Sick write ups dude... love it!!!

will be checking this out all the time :)

Awesome write up!!

I've noticed this about d1 for a while. Only the earlier volumes are good. I stopped buying them because it just turned into the same shit. cars with big named sponsors winning battles with re runs when they shouldnt. It changed from what seemed to be a fun drift event to a money makeing franchise.

:huh:

Come on Luke, just because you have a couple of friends with axes to grind doesn't mean a whole lot.

Last year, there were 50-70 cars entering each round, essentially competing for only five non-seeded spots in the top 16. Ebisu Circuit has just doubled its grandstand capacity. The stands at the final round at Fuji last year was packed.

If you mean "Death of D1" as in "little guys don't have a chance", well yeah, but there's still an awful lot of competitions going around for everyone else to do. MSC, D1SL, the Goodyear Gurachan D that was on the other day at Nikko etc.

Even then, there are always random unknown guys getting through, like Yokoi, who did ridiculously well last year.

Besides, the driving at D1 is the best there is. It's worth watching just for that.

I'd read it but there hasn't been an update in like a month.

Andy told me what you said. I hate you too. ;)

Come on Luke, just because you have a couple of friends with axes to grind doesn't mean a whole lot.

Last year, there were 50-70 cars entering each round, essentially competing for only five non-seeded spots in the top 16. Ebisu Circuit has just doubled its grandstand capacity. The stands at the final round at Fuji last year was packed.

If you mean "Death of D1" as in "little guys don't have a chance", well yeah, but there's still an awful lot of competitions going around for everyone else to do. MSC, D1SL, the Goodyear Gurachan D that was on the other day at Nikko etc.

Even then, there are always random unknown guys getting through, like Yokoi, who did ridiculously well last year.

Besides, the driving at D1 is the best there is. It's worth watching just for that.

I'd read it but there hasn't been an update in like a month.

Andy told me what you said. I hate you too. ;)

Im talking about the death of d1 within Japan and what is was set out to be when it first started, and now what it has become.

And my friends dont have axes to grind, as you would know yourself Alexi most high level drivers are very humble. And the ones that have told me these stories you have already meet and spoken with. The only thing that will cause this story to differ from the real point i had was peoples own specualtion about it.

Im not a fantastic writer as im sure it shows, and people are open to speculation its the internet but after all its speculation and most people dont know whats going on behind closed doors unless they are actually over here etc.

be choice as to see mikey tearing it up there, he's a real cool down to earth guy, he's mad on a pit bike !

Great write ups!! 'bookmarks RunningLife'. 'Death of D1' was a good read, keep up the good work.

Edited by notsofast

not too sure how much I agree with that. They are definitely talented but with out a doubt the best driving Ive seen has not been at a d1 round.

not too sure how much I agree with that. They are definitely talented but with out a doubt the best driving Ive seen has not been at a d1 round.

+1

Those judges have always been biased :P

I'm going up on Sunday for Round 1 of D1GP at Ebisu.

There were only tickets left in 1 of the 12 odd grandstands at Ebisu, and that was a week out from the event.

I would imagine they are sold out by now.

The tickets range in price from 3000 yen to 5000 yen for grandstands. They must be doing ok from a financial perspective.

Those judges have always been biased :P

They just worked out making a fair system like you did was too difficult and people complain even if it is fair.

Is there much open criticism of it over there L? I would've thought it was something discussed behind closed doors, and drivers who were sick of it would have just pulled out and gone elsewhere to compete.

^^I think japanese drivers see drifting for what it really is and bitching about something that is pretty much subjective is ghey and also makes you look like a whinging loser if you complain about it.

Most dont say anything and if they feel they have been rorted too badly just dont compete anymore. Even the good drivers that dont do d1 that Ive talked to dont talk too badly of it, it may be pretty heavily biased but they just say they have other priorities or its not their goal etc.

I think its explained pretty heavily that D1 is a show first and a competition 2nd.

Like the judging I think there is a cultural difference where people over here just accept things no matter how craptacular they are. Like Australia most drifters are poor bums and the only people with enough money to do or say what they want are racing drivers like Orido and NOB so I guess the drifters just know what is good for them and shut the hell up or find that they DNQ a lot.

One real advantage of the 99.995% style judging D1 does is that any tiny mistake can be used to say you lost 1% and are out of the top 16.

My Japanese is very bad and I do not have a close relationship with any D1 drivers so anything I say in that regard is third hand information at the absolute best. So what I have been told could be complete codswallop. I thought that drifting could be a fair competition for a while, but running it like WWE is not such a bad thing really. It is still fun...

+1

+1000

Seen much better drifting at non D1 related events.

And Andy the Ebisu event is one of the most popular events in the whole year for D1 it will have probably have the most cars atteneding it aswell.

Its the only D1 event i would really bust a nut to get to.

All i get is this msg

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

well the best day ive had watching drifting live was with out a doubt D1 Suzuka 2006. I wasn't out there trying to compare if they were better than guys at local comps or be cynical about how its run, I just went, sat and enjoyed the spectacle and it was fantastic. Well worth the price of admission.

All i get is this msg

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

I get it aswell, fix ur shit luke, i want to read the updates...... :)

very cool blog B)

just wandering if you got any wallpaper sized pics of that white S15 :wub:

Fkn loving those all red tails on the red onevia and white S15, mad style.

Top blog man, love to read about what it's like sliding around japan for the fun of it.