Sign in to follow this  
buoy

Swine flu... just another flu? or possible pandemic?

Read in this morning's paper about the rise of the swine flu.

Later today an rss news feed popped up saying that queensland has been cleared and nsw had 2 "possible" cases but were quarantined.

The thing about swine flu is it's from pigs..... so our existing immune defense against human influenza is almost completely ineffective....... leading to higher mortality rates.

By high I don't mean first settlers arriving in australia giving the aboriginal population the flu, causing 70% to die out...... no. we have some benefits of modern medicine which can bend that figure accordingly to single digit mortality, but only just. It's still less than 10 percent.... but for 1000 outbreaks in mexico, 80 deaths..... and of those 80, most of them were young adults.

from wikipedia on the current new H5N1 strain:

In March and April 2009, more than 1,000 cases of swine flu in humans were detected in Mexico, and more than 80 deaths are suspected to have a connection with the virus. As of April 25, 2009 19:30 EDT there are 11 laboratory confirmed cases in the southwestern United States and in Kansas,[25] and several suspected cases in the New York City metropolitan area. Following a series of reports of isolated cases of swine flu,[26][27] the first announcement of the outbreak in Mexico was documented on April 23, 2009. Some of the cases have been confirmed by the World Health Organization to be due to a new genetic strain of H1N1.[28][29] The new strain has been confirmed in 16 of the deaths and 44 others are being tested as of April 24, 2009.[30] The Mexican fatalities are said to be mainly young adults, a hallmark of pandemic flu.[31]

To have a flu pandemic several distinct phases must happen. H5N1's next phase is easy person to person transmission. After that occurs, it is theoretically possible to stop it before it becomes an epidemic,[citation needed] or if that opportunity is missed, to stop the epidemic before it becomes a pandemic.[citation needed] It is widely believed by the experts that it will not be possible to prevent any of these phases from occurring with H5N1,[citation needed] but if we are lucky enough to delay it for a few years, we might come up with a solution such as a influenza vaccine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swine_Flu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic_flu

:thumbsup: gooch.

lets see if deej picks up on the popular donald rumsfeld implication conspiracy making the rounds.

They should totally make a movie out of it.

A movie about the swine flu, or about sex with pigs? I think they both have potential.

i vote pandemic because mexicans can't stay in their own borders :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

shouldn't it be pigdemic?

pandemic sounds like..... <_ nev mind.>

Here's a map for all those who are interested:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i...amp;t=h&z=4

f**k i love google.

:thumbsup: gooch.

lets see if deej picks up on the popular donald rumsfeld implication conspiracy making the rounds.

hasn't be copped the ban stick?

but for 1000 outbreaks in mexico, 80 deaths..... and of those 80, most of them were young adults.

think about it but.... what is mexicos health system like compared to Australia's..... S**T!

deaths from this "swine flu" in Australia would be very little if it does become a pandemic... due to the fact that one we have a much better funded healthcare system, two the Australian healthcare system is much more well equiped to deal with such a situation than mexico and three the living standards in mexico are MUCH! worse than what they are in Australia...

its really absolutely nothing to be worried about i believe.... although it is a problem which can quickly get out of control and spread... Australia's healthcare system is too well equiped for that to happen however...

just to clarify, "very little death" and "pandemic" don't go together in the same sentence.

if you wish to use the term "very little death", then the word "pandemic" no longer applies. this is because "pandemic" pretty much implies "massive deaths".

but i hope that what you are saying is true - in fact i do so with all sincerity. if it is contained and we get vaccines.... man..... get your flu shots thats all i'm gunna say!!!

people don't have to die for a infectious disease to be called a pandemic

World Health Organisation defines it as:

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a pandemic can start when three conditions have been met:[1]

- Emergence of a disease new to a population.

- Agents infect humans, causing serious illness.

- Agents spread easily and sustainably among humans.

god bless wikipedia.... :D

people don't have to die for a infectious disease to be called a pandemic

World Health Organisation defines it as:

According to the World Health Organization (WHO), a pandemic can start when three conditions have been met:[1]

- Emergence of a disease new to a population.

- Agents infect humans, causing serious illness.

- Agents spread easily and sustainably among humans.

god bless wikipedia.... :D

because its always so credible :):lol:

OMG this is offal

yes i did just say that

When did this first become an issue? as my sister was recently in Cancun in March, but was only playing tourist for 2 weeks there

bah... few vitamin c drops, a pack of strepsils and a daily cup of lemsip and that shit'll buff right out

^^ cup of concrete more like

but seriously it will be interesting to see what happens over the next week

apparently, the spanish flu and the black death (which wiped out half the population of europe at the time) also had an enduring desire for younger, fitter people.

apparently, the spanish flu and the black death (which wiped out half the population of europe at the time) also had an enduring desire for younger, fitter people.

The fitness, Diet & Bodybuilding forum is bracing for the shit storm.

yeah, people will worry about for 10 weeks then its like it never existed

The fitness, Diet & Bodybuilding forum is bracing for the shit storm.

I guess survival of the fittest won't be a so popular term there :ph34r:

That headline is such scaremongering "five people, all from NSW, undergoing testing" So they haven't even been confirmed as having it. They could just have normal, boring, bed-rest-spec flu. Besides no one has died outside of Mexico, and lets face it, Mexico's health standards are pretty shithouse.

But oh noez run for the hills children! The swine flu is coming!!!

"Professor, would you say its time for our viewers to crack open each others skulls and feast on the goo inside?"

"Well, yes I would, Kent."

bah... few vitamin c drops, a pack of strepsils and a daily cup of lemsip and that shit'll buff right out

F@ken Love that..... :D

This is because the flu will usually put you off your food and run you down completely. Leaving it unchecked you would pretty much die a slow and quiet death. Now, fat people have a better chance I think. They carry a lot of excess weight, and under conditions that the flu put you in, your body will start breaking down the fat and using it as a source of energy to keep organs functioning.

This is because the flu will usually put you off your food and run you down completely. Leaving it unchecked you would pretty much die a slow and quiet death. Now, fat people have a better chance I think. They carry a lot of excess weight, and under conditions that the flu put you in, your body will start breaking down the fat and using it as a source of energy to keep organs functioning.

neg.

it seems fairly widely accepted that in similar fashion to the 1918 epidemic, the immune systems of the strongest people (the young to middle aged adults) were what actually killed them.

it seems fairly widely accepted that in similar fashion to the 1918 epidemic, the immune systems of the strongest people (the young to middle aged adults) were what actually killed them.

yeah.....and what does that mean? elaborate

im no expert, but maybe it means the more strongly you fight it, the more badly you get smashed.. by.. yourself.

for instance, a fever is the result of your body working in overdrive to fight something. if you had a stronger immune system -> bigger fever. etc.

I don't think it works like that.

Think about someone who is physically fit. They use less energy to run a certain distance that someone who is unfit.