Sign in to follow this  
buoy

Swine flu... just another flu? or possible pandemic?

im no expert, but maybe it means the more strongly you fight it, the more badly you get smashed.. by.. yourself.

for instance, a fever is the result of your body working in overdrive to fight something. if you had a stronger immune system -> bigger fever. etc.

yes, so my idea still stands, that if you have more fat you can endure the fight for longer.

Wikipedia on the Spanish Flu:

Scientists have used tissue samples from frozen victims to reproduce the virus for study. Given the strain's extreme virulence there has been controversy regarding the wisdom of such research. Among the conclusions of this research is that the virus kills via a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system) which explains its unusually severe nature and the concentrated age profile of its victims. The strong immune systems of young adults ravaged the body, whereas the weaker immune systems of children and middle-aged adults caused fewer deaths.

that means a way of possibly limiting its potency is to give your own immune system a knock.

what do u think? like give yourself some pretend jetlag (just stay up all night and go to sleep in the day) is an instant immune system knock. + some other little tricks.

..... heh..... take drugs :lol: and drink lots of alcohol llololol.

now I know why my economics lecturer at uni said that smoking was good for fighting the flu.

wasn't there that smoking thread out there.......

Edited by What_The?

i have read that in the 1918 epidemic, the healthy people suffered badly as they just had so much fluid in their lungs their bodies couldn't cope.

basically that wikipedia exerpt sums it up perfectly.

i have read that in the 1918 epidemic, the healthy people suffered badly as they just had so much fluid in their lungs their bodies couldn't cope.

Yeah but nowadays they can easily drain fluid from lungs...

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2008/s2553888.htm

A good read..

this is why you don't have sex with pigs....

Or go to work in a pig factory with the flu..

Here's a map for all those who are interested:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&i...amp;t=h&z=4

f**k i love google.

yeah... quality..

AUSTRALIA Queensland

Last Updated by niman 18 hours ago

two cases of people admitted to hospital with symptoms and require testing," said the Prime Minister of the State of Queensland.

:rolleyes:

Yeah but nowadays they can easily drain fluid from lungs...

With a bullet to the chest.... like a man...

What are we all worried about? It's only fat chicks that will catch the pig flu right?

i've put this in the pics of the day thread, but then i realized it's more appropriate here

27K39.jpg

this is apparently a mix between bird flu and some pig or horse flu... so it could be another serious outbreak

Does anyone remember how it suddenly became popular to keep piglets as pets? It must have been sometime last year, it seemed as though almost every pet shop I saw had "adorable little piggies" in the windows. Hopefully this flu will help convince people that pigs don't make good pets.

spider-pig.jpg

So, so far we can trace this back to The Simpsons. It's all their fault!

see how homer is eyeing the pigs ass... like a pound of bacon.

it must be the pheromones :ph34r:

in other news.......

see? if deej could still talk, he'd be totally up in arms over what sxephil says at 1:40...... like all of this theories :lol:

see how homer is eyeing the pigs ass... like a pound of bacon.

it must be the pheromones :ph34r:

in other news.......

see? if deej could still talk, he'd be totally up in arms over what sxephil says at 1:40...... like all of this theories :lol:

f**k... if that dude didn't look like leg, i'd have trouble standing his voice for so long..

Not a good time to be using public transport!

All this is such bullshit. So much media hype.

It thankfully hasn't quite got to the Large Hadron Collider levels of overhypedness yet.

And all those people saying there is nothing to be scared about, think again.

This is more than just a statistic, this is something that could very easily affect YOU.

This is no normal flu. The normal flu knocks you around hard enough as it is, but this is strong enough to kill you.

If you get the swine flu, you are probably going to be off work for weeks, even months. Not only would it probably be horribly un-pleasant for you to go through, but there is also the quarantine issue that will keep you away from work for a while after you get over it.

Personally, i would take a broken ankle over enduring this flu (for a comparison). No matter who you are, it could really f'ck you up, physically and finacially.

Like every other FLU EPIDEMIC OMG WERE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

We wont be hearing about it in a months time.

^^ You've got to admit though, the media are hyping it up quite a bit. Sure it's bad and all, but, media are having fun with some headlines.

This is no normal flu. The normal flu knocks you around hard enough as it is, but this is strong enough to kill you.

If you get the swine flu, you are probably going to be off work for weeks, even months.

Then why are there people that have already recovered?

^^ You've got to admit though, the media are hyping it up quite a bit. Sure it's bad and all, but, media are having fun with some headlines.

Oh yeah, it is certainly being over hyped.

News has been slow lately, just the other morning i saw an interview on Sunrise where they got the GPS lady in to talk. Why the hell i would want to know what the voice on my GPS system looks like, i'll never know.

They have nothing else to report about, so they flog the crap out of this.

Let's hope it does not reach LHC proportions.

If you get the swine flu, you are probably going to be off work for weeks, even months.

Then why are there people that have already recovered?

When did they catch it?

Were they actually confirmed to have swine flu?

Are they allowed back to work yet, or are they still under quarantine?

And all those people saying there is nothing to be scared about, think again.

This is more than just a statistic, this is something that could very easily affect YOU.

If you get the swine flu, you are probably going to be off work for weeks, even months. Not only would it probably be horribly un-pleasant for you to go through, but there is also the quarantine issue that will keep you away from work for a while after you get over it.

Personally, i would take a broken ankle over enduring this flu (for a comparison). No matter who you are, it could really f'ck you up, physically and finacially.

What about bird flu? That got loads of hype and then killed all of 300 people... I'm gonna say this will probably be similar, in a few months it'll be mostly forgotten about. I'm sure there's a chance of it becoming a pandemic, but you can always trust the media to go for the most dramatic headlines possible.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,25392380-2,00.html