Sign in to follow this  
buoy

Swine flu... just another flu? or possible pandemic?

if we area ble to keep this virus from spreading to a single new human host for 40 days... we'd have successfully quarantined this outbreak.

And all those people saying there is nothing to be scared about, think again.

This is more than just a statistic, this is something that could very easily affect YOU.

This is no normal flu. The normal flu knocks you around hard enough as it is, but this is strong enough to kill you.

If you get the swine flu, you are probably going to be off work for weeks, even months. Not only would it probably be horribly un-pleasant for you to go through, but there is also the quarantine issue that will keep you away from work for a while after you get over it.

Personally, i would take a broken ankle over enduring this flu (for a comparison). No matter who you are, it could really f'ck you up, physically and finacially.

What about bird flu? That got loads of hype and then killed all of 300 people... I'm gonna say this will probably be similar, in a few months it'll be mostly forgotten about. I'm sure there's a chance of it becoming a pandemic, but you can always trust the media to go for the most dramatic headlines possible.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,25392380-2,00.html

Pigs have a much more similar immune system to us than birds do, it has a much bigger chance at being a risk to humans.

Unlike the bird flu, there is already strong suspicion that this flu can very easily transfer from human to human.

And forget the statistics. Even if it kills nobody in Australia, if it spreads, and you catch it, you are going to suffer much more than if you were to get a normal flu. For some people, it is going to be torture.

Dunno about you, but i don't fancy the idea of spending the next week or two fighting a sickness that i could have easily avoided by simply being careful with who i interact with.

Funny how when the thread starts talking about the severity everyone jumps on the "oh noes" bandwagon.

Then someone posts that it's all "hype" so a whole bunch of people jump on the "meh itz nt dat bad" bandwagon.

:lol:

Funny how when the thread starts talking about the severity everyone jumps on the "oh noes" bandwagon.

Then someone posts that it's all "hype" so a whole bunch of people jump on the "meh itz nt dat bad" bandwagon.

Deej knew the score.

We're all sheeple.

ok that's one. any more? wait for it..... any second now...

*waits to count how many people jump to the "yeah, we're just sheep how sad"* bandwagon.

:lol: go deej... and the new world order!

sheeple.jpg

saw on the news there was 3 suspected cases in tasmania... f**ks that gene pool up then

Not a good time to be using public transport!

and i just started a new job where i have to get the train... prob half of em had the flu or someshit.

^^^ and did you get it? lol... you'll know in about a week :)

I got a stuffy/blocked nose... OH NOOOEEESS!! IM GONNA DDIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:o I'm off to Madagascar before you infect all of Adelaide.

lol, so in other words, some journo's have sat down and said "what is a good number to cause maximum panic?".

No doubt the official numbers will climb, but it is funny to see they are jumping the gun.

saw on the news there was 3 suspected cases in tasmania... f**ks that gene pool up then

as if that gene pool can be made worse...

Just keeping things in perspective 30 - 50'000 people die every year in the US from seasonal flu.

There is evidence that this is being used as a distraction to move attention away from the global financial meltdown, and it is.

Tamiflu as mentioned has a whole host of side effects, like nausea, vomiting, diziness, fatigue, cough - which are the very symptoms people are trying to avoid. Japan has banned this drug for children in 2007 after links to suicidal behaviour.

Just keeping things in perspective 30 - 50'000 people die every year in the US from seasonal flu.

That's what me and some colleages were just discussing then... Bloody media.

A big question is, Just how deadly is the virus in Mexico?

The seasonal flu tends to kill just a fraction of 1 percent of those infected.

In Mexico, about 70 deaths out of roughly 1,000 cases represents a fatality rate of about 7 percent. The Spanish flu pandemic of 1918-19, which killed an estimated 40 million worldwide, had a fatality rate of about 2.5 percent.

The Mexican rate sounds terrifying. But it's possible that far more than 1,000 people have been infected with the virus and that many had few if any symptoms, said Dr. Michael Osterholm, a prominent pandemic expert at the University of Minnesota.

http://www.physorg.com/news159946708.html

:lol: :lol:

Good call.

:lol: :lol:

Good call.

Oi.. I posted my opinion on it being hyped up without even reading any of the replies :P hahahaha

Yeah, i heard this Swine Flu makes you break out in bad rashers.

:ph34r:

There is evidence that this is being used as a distraction to move attention away from the global financial meltdown, and it is.

Tamiflu as mentioned has a whole host of side effects, like nausea, vomiting, diziness, fatigue, cough - which are the very symptoms people are trying to avoid. Japan has banned this drug for children in 2007 after links to suicidal behaviour.

I said something similar to the mrs... the flu has been nasty this year, only this time it has a name...

Yeah, i heard this Swine Flu makes you break out in bad rashers.

:ph34r:

that was so bad yet so good

It was all made by Rumsfeld! (seriously check out the scare videos made in the 70s about pig flu, they're classics!)

http://centurean2.wordpress.com/2009/04/28...flu-connection/

Oh and Buoy, normal flu shot won't do didley squat, doesn't even work for the normal flu after a year. All it may do is make it easier to spot when you have caught Pig flu as you know it wouldn't be the standard variety.

hey agg25 can you quote me pls... i don't know what it's in reference to. cheers.

my g/f and her parents said that we should cancel our bali trip because of this...

Until i showed my mrs that there are 7 deaths all in mexico and that we are flying in an area that has had ZERO cases of the flu.

Media and wog chicks its a disaster waiting to happen!